Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it me or is AH filling up with Children and thanks whores?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Abigayle wrote: »
    I remember when all this were just fields....
    +1 Totally with you on this one...

Back in them old days when i joined we would be lucky to have 15 new threads a day in AH, which i could read in full and enjoy, these days its just a spamfest:( Thats not to say we havent had some legendary stuff in the last few years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

sdonn wrote: »
    Honestly, I dunno. Just a subconcious noticing that threads are getting boringly repetitve and full of smartarse comments. Which is grand the odd time, but not in every thread.

Just wanna reiterate that overall AH is stil a great forum. Just i'm curious who feels the same way (although I should know at this stage getting a serious answer to a question is difficult!)

sign o the times... or more conservative?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Childish?
    Childish?
    I've a good mind to fill your shoes with runny porridge again. Teach you a lesson about maturity...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Every forum or board on the internet used to be better back in the day.. It usually comes from the more established members on forums, who thinks to themselves "I was here first", and it was so much better "back then", when we used to have....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just more winge whores tbh.
    I remember when people were banally accused of being 'post whores'.
    I'm not sure wtf came before that.

The posts that bleat and whinge about post counts and 'thanks whores' are the ones who give a fúck, far too much of a **** in a pathetic - worst element of the playground way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

will someone please start an anti-catholic thread or something about over paid public servants for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I've noticed a fair bit more whinging...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I think the problem is simply one of numbers. When I first started posting there was more a community feel to After Hours as virtually every tread had the same people posting in them.

You got to know the personality of people through their posts because you would see the responses from the same people. So if you were going to respond to something people would know who you are (or at least who you are on boards) and you knew them so if you where going to say something at all you would want it to contribute to the tread or really believe that it was funny. There are so many people on now that nobody gives a crap about anyone else’s opinion and only hugely prolific posters or Mods are known or respected. (This is evident by the amount of times a Mod will say something ordinary on a tread and will receive numerous thanks from people.)

Also I find that most peoples reply’s here are now incredibly short to the point where a smiley face or rolled eyes is acceptable. Or that they will respond with something sarcastic like “Great tread :rolleyes: I’m so glad I clicked on this” I mean if you don’t find things interesting why add to the tread and boost it back to the top of the page for everyone else?

Anyway I still like after hours but yea I think it was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Just more winge whores tbh.
    I remember when people were banally accused of being 'post whores'.
    I'm not sure wtf came before that.

The posts that bleat and whinge about post counts and 'thanks whores' are the ones who give a fúck, far too much of a ****
    And the assumption that those with high postcounts get preferential treatment/are better liked/more included or whatever because of their postcount. Wtf? If you've a high postcount you're a regular, long-term user and therefore a known quantity - obviously you'll be received differently to someone with a low postcount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Doc wrote: »
    I think the problem is simply one of numbers. When I first started posting there was more a community feel to After Hours as virtually every tread had the same people posting in them.

You got to know the personality of people through their posts because you would see the responses from the same people. So if you were going to respond to something people would know who you are (or at least who you are on boards) and you knew them so if you where going to say something at all you would want it to contribute to the tread or really believe that it was funny.
    The two things you're talking about as exclusive of each other actually appear to be the very same thing, in my opinion.
    There are so many people on now that nobody gives a crap about anyone else’s opinion and only hugely prolific posters or Mods are known or respected.
    Again, no different to how you describe the way things were back in the day. Are you suggesting someone who was a newb would have been embraced into the fold? When you're new here, nobody particularly notices you - it's not a deliberate policy of exclusion, just how things roll. We were all newbs at some point... then those who post regularly become known.
    (This is evident by the amount of times a Mod will say something ordinary on a tread and will receive numerous thanks from people.)
    I don't think that's a reality at all - very few people are so sad that they'd thank a mod just because of them being a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There are new forums, a lot of threads and topics that would have been in AH before have migrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think that's a reality at all - very few people are so sad that they'd thank a mod just because of them being a mod.

I think thats double-ended. Yeah mods do get more thanks than other posters, thats indisputable it happens all the time. Some people will pile on the bandwagon in a silly way and thank cause they see lots of thanks, but most will be more inclined to thank a pertinent point made by a mod because a mod is generally a longish-standing, well respected poster. If everyone thankes posts purely on the merits of the post we'd be laughing but it doesnt always work like that.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Every forum or board on the internet used to be better back in the day.. It usually comes from the more established members on forums, who thinks to themselves "I was here first", and it was so much better "back then", when we used to have....

This a 1000 times over.

In most work places I've worked in.
    In every place I lived as a kid, and every school I went to.
    And now boards, etc.

Absolute drivel.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Yeah mods do get more thanks than other posters, thats indisputable it happens all the time.

Thanks for showing your work. :D:pac::p

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Ya sellin?

I've got cash.

Of course.
    Top quality, not as good as it used to be, but ya know yourself.

Of course.
    Top quality, not as good as it used to be, but ya know yourself.

Oh I laughed, I laughed good.

It was just like old times.

The two things you're talking about as exclusive of each other actually appear to be the very same thing, in my opinion.

I agree I didnt mean to say they where exclusive of each other
    Are you suggesting someone who was a newb would have been embraced into the fold? When you're new here, nobody particularly notices you - it's not a deliberate policy of exclusion, just how things roll. We were all newbs at some point... then those who post regularly become known.

I am not sujesting that a newb whould have been treated like a regular poster no but due to the fact there were less people when I cane on here first they would be unlikely to be ignored even if they were actting like a dick and in that case he would be told pritty quick that he was. Now because of the size of after hours it cant be like that.

It is sad but people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

70% General Discussion, 20% A great laugh and 10% idiots.

You are just getting old.

Everything loses the funnez when you get older.

Grumpy old men is a great show.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Are people really that worried about who is thanking who because of their status? Internet, serious business...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Are people really that worried about who is thanking who because of their status? Internet, serious business...

Well what I was saying is that people with larger post counts and mods are the people who are paid attention to. I don’t particularly care about who is getting thanked but was trying to show that this was the case.
    Doc wrote:
    There are so many people on now that nobody gives a crap about anyone else’s opinion and only hugely prolific posters or Mods are known or respected. (This is evident by the amount of times a Mod will say something ordinary on a tread and will receive numerous thanks from people.)

I realize that this is natural I was only pointing out that due to the size of boards and after hours it has lost some of its original community feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Sorry but this has to be said...

Somebody please think of the children!

Well what I was saying is that people with larger post counts and mods are the people who are paid attention to. I don’t particularly care about who is getting thanked but was trying to show that this was the case.
    I think it's more the popular posters have high post counts than high post count = popular.

Personally it doesn't bother me, there's always going to be posters who get their point across better and therefore get more attention. I say what I have to say and make my contribution, mightn't get as much recognition but that's not what boards is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

There are so many people on now that nobody gives a crap about anyone else’s opinion and only hugely prolific posters or Mods are known or respected. (This is evident by the amount of times a Mod will say something ordinary on a tread and will receive numerous thanks from people.)

That is not realistic imo.

Thanks drop with Mods posts unless you are being a lickarse.

I always pun, if posters that normally thanked my puns still thank them, well and good.

If I still pun and don't get the whole thanks button that's okay too, because most posters in AHs don't want to be seen to be a lickarse to a mod.

Even if they did enjoy the pun.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

More people wander the internet aimlessly now because they can. I bet membership of this site has grown exponentially in the last 3 years!

Basically op, why not start a good interesting thread that is more like you think the old times were? Instead of a child like whinging thread.....? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Note to self : From now on I will only thank a mods 2nd/3rd witty/comical/funny/punny post.

Also note : More than one mod shall not be thanked in the same thread - 1st come 1st served.

Also note : I may have just set up an internal competition between mods to be 1st to get thanked by me in a thread.

Also note : My thanks are the best :D

Also note : End result is to make sure fellow boardsies don't see me as licking mod ass :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Thanked by two mods...clearly you're part of the elite ruling class.

Shine those shoes for you sir?

Note to self : Never mention anything no mater how small about thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The misogyny and trolling used to be WAY worse, in my opinion.

Ya sure? :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64364620&postcount=45

• Advertisement

robby^5 wrote: »
    Thanked by two mods...clearly you're part of the elite ruling class.

Shine those shoes for you sir?
    Get yourself in on the action before it's too late my friend ;)

Advertisement