Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vote No Campaign on O'Connell Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

heyjude wrote: »
    So an RTE discussion on the Lisbon Treaty that has a FF representative, a FG representative, a Labour representative and another guest who is undecided, is about even in terms of balance ???? Interesting, so 3 members of the YES campaign and one undecided is balanced!!!

What program are you talking about? This week on RTE there was a Q&A program on Monday night, and a Primetime special last night, both of which had equal numbers from each side. On Newstalk yesterday at lunchtime, Declan Ganly and Dermot Ahern were on together. Last week (Thursday, I think) on Matt Cooper, there was a debate between all the main players, with equal numbers on each side (4x4). On Monday morning, Pat Kenny had a debate with equal numbers form either side.

I'll admit that on Monday and Tuesday of this week, Brian Cowan got a half-hour to himself on both Matt Cooper and George Hook. But hey, he's the taoiseach, so that's hardly a surprise (unfair, some might say, but unsurprising all the same). But on Monday, their was a London economics professor on Newstalk, all on his own, with his own weird interpretation of the treaty, which was very biased towards the 'No' camp. And a few weeks ago you had that wierdo Jim Corr on Matt Cooper, all on his own, with his crazy 'No' views.

And the 'No' camp were campaigning a month earlier than the 'Yes' camp, all on their own. Declan Ganly was on Newstalk around the middle of April with his all-out tax declarations (which he has since reduced down to a statement of enhanced co-operation). On his own, with no-one to rebut his comments. Coir were on a few weeks later, again with no-one against them.

Also, this week you had the three presenters of Morning AM announcing that they were voting No... that was hardly fair, now was it.

That's a bit rambly, but in my own listening/viewing experience of the last two months, I definitely haven't seen the bias that you're talking about. The media isn't just RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What gets me about this whole campaign is you have one side (NOs) that arguably contains hugely diverse ideologies and some shady groups/individuals, that normally toghether would not agree on night and day, who are now suddenly fighting for things that normally they would not agree with (SF and corpo tax), whilst on the other side you have a condscending and sanctimonious attitude from people (including our governent) who are telling us to vote YES because they of course know what is better for us.

Personally I wish their was a third option on the ballot paper, one which allowed us choose to use the Irish fishing fleet to trawl all of the above campaigners behind their boats, while they try to fish for the last few cod in the North Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was canvassing at the GPO earlier, and tbh I did not feel safe at first. They had Gardai wandering around keeping an eye on the No campaigners.

The megaphone didn't come till later though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

to the op et all, when you say the no side who do you mean, who had the tv screen?

to the op et all, when you say the no side who do you mean, who had the tv?
    I didn't notice a tv. I forgot to add that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I didn't notice a tv. I forgot to add that.

were you looking at your shoes the whole time?it was facing the GPO, massive yoke that i could hear from Parnell St. The Gardai were there because there is supposed to be a moratorium on media 24hrs before a vote, although i'm not sure that it counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Stark wrote: »
    Spreading mistruths during referendum campaigns should be made illegal imo.

That would be the yes side ****ed then.

"At the heart of Europe" by halving your influence in it, nice one lads.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

PrivateEye wrote: »
    "At the heart of Europe" by halving your influence in it, nice one lads.
    Only if you believe that our influence is halved by the Lisbon treaty, which - from what I've seen - is one of the many "no" campaign lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

There were great groups there yesterday. People from all walks of life and ideologies. Even people from all over the world travelled here to ask Irish People to vote No, people from Germany, Denmark and France. Was pretty cool!

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    There were great groups there yesterday. People from all walks of life and ideologies. Even people from all over the world travelled here to ask Irish People to vote No, people from Germany, Denmark and France. Was pretty cool!
    Actually the Dutch people were with the PDs and asking for a Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I was canvassing at the GPO earlier, and tbh I did not feel safe at first. They had Gardai wandering around keeping an eye on the No campaigners.
    The megaphone didn't come till later though.

Its O'Connell Street. I think you will find theres Gardai wandering around all day and 1 permanently standing at the GPO!

Its O'Connell Street. I think you will find theres Gardai wandering around all day and 1 permanently standing at the GPO!
    Five of them. At the same time (that I saw) All making sure that they never moved more than a few metres away. There was definately a heavier presence

Advertisement