Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

errrrr, are you saying the aircoach every hour straight to Dublin airport without changing isn't convienent ?

The fact that Cork is the second city in Ireland and has an airport which offers subpar connections on a good day, remains. Again, the transatlantic routes aren't, in my view, the problem - many cities throughout Europe don't have them; The big one is that connection to western Europe is extremely lacking, and it's getting worse and worse. I haven't flown to or from Cork airport in the last three years. Not once.

The fact the Aircoach buses are systematically overcrowded means there IS a market for those flights, not just ones to the "cheap booze holiday destinations" that Corkonians seem to be so fond of - statistically, EU flights from Dublin greatly outnumber US bound ones, so of the hundreds of people going to the airport from Cork daily, the majority are bound to fly to Europe.
    .red. wrote: »
    Im pretty sure its not the first ever. Jet magic ran the route for a while, altho failed miserably with it!

The previous one must have been quite a long time ago, I don't remember it being offered while I lived here - been around since 2009.

Theoretically, there's a great potential for an LCY route - one of the big issues with a "day trip" to London is the fact that transfers to and from the ariports, especially Stansted, are time consuming and expensive. LCY is right in the centre - short hop on the DLR and you're in the city - frankly making a shopping trip to London an easier affair than, say, to Dublin!

The one problem I can see is that I'm not sure how many "business travelers" would there be in and out of Cork; Also, LCY has little to no value for connecting passengers - If I have a later flight out of LGW, I would fly to LGW...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    "cheap booze holiday destinations" that Corkonians seem to be so fond of -

Seriously??? You make it sound like it is a purely Cork thing to head to the Canaries. Maybe you should check how many people from other Northern European countries go there. There will always be a market for these flights. And no they are not for cheap booze as you put it. It is for the sun. Silly argument to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll avail off the City Jet flight at some stage to go over to London alright. Having a look up until December, Aer Lingus to Heathrow is cheaper by about €20 on average than City Jet to London City.

But even if City Jet are marginally more expensive the price also includes a free checked bag and also complimentray snacks and drinks.

Given that an Aer Lingus checked bag starts at €15 or €25 to London, depending on what time fo the year youre travelling, City Jet isnt a bad option IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Ludo wrote: »
    Seriously??? You make it sound like it is a purely Cork thing to head to the Canaries. Maybe you should check how many people from other Northern European countries go there. There will always be a market for these flights. And no they are not for cheap booze as you put it. It is for the sun. Silly argument to make.

Don't take it personally, all I hear from people I know around here are is one way or the other around "how cheap drink is" in those places. The prevalence of flights towards the Canaries and related destinations together with a lack of connections to many other places proves, without reasonable doubt, that a bigger share of the served public is interested in such destinations compared to the user base of other airports; Or at least, that's what the airlines think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Or people like going to sun destinations because they are more available from Cork than city breaks???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Thank god for the Amsterdam flights...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Don't take it personally, all I hear from people I know around here are is one way or the other around "how cheap drink is" in those places. The prevalence of flights towards the Canaries and related destinations together with a lack of connections to many other places proves, without reasonable doubt, that a bigger share of the served public is interested in such destinations compared to the user base of other airports; Or at least, that's what the airlines think.

To be fair they do the same over here when going to Lanzarote for example .. sunshine and cheap party time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

.red. wrote: »
    Im pretty sure its not the first ever. Jet magic ran the route for a while, altho failed miserably with it!
    He did say first Cityjet flight to LCY.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

roundymac wrote: »
    He did say first Cityjet flight to LCY.

I kinda edited it though after red. Posted :)

Anyway cityjet are a little bit better known and the media coverage and advertising of the route has been good so hopefully it'll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

errrrr, are you saying the aircoach every hour straight to Dublin airport without changing isn't convienent ? .

Convenient, but far from ideal. Limited leg room and goes via Dame street in Dub, normal journey is 3 1/2 hours plus....trust me I use it between Cork & Dub Airport every Friday & Monday. Certainly not family friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'll avail off the City Jet flight at some stage to go over to London alright. Having a look up until December, Aer Lingus to Heathrow is cheaper by about €20 on average than City Jet to London City.

But even if City Jet are marginally more expensive the price also includes a free checked bag and also complimentray snacks and drinks.

Given that an Aer Lingus checked bag starts at €15 or €25 to London, depending on what time fo the year youre travelling, City Jet isnt a bad option IMO.

City jet are a great option, airport is a few stops from central London and beats the Picadilly Line journey from Heathrow. It's just a nice flight & at the moment bookings are on target to keep the prices low.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Andip wrote: »
    City jet are a great option, airport is a few stops from central London and beats the Picadilly Line journey from Heathrow. It's just a nice flight & at the moment bookings are on target to keep the prices low.

I had a buddy do it from dublin to London City airport, he was heading to a Chelsea game, which would be my main reasons for being in London and the between the Jubilee to Green Park and changing to Earls Court to get to Stamford Bridge was about 1hr 10mins, give or take 30mins more than Heathrow to Earls Court.

That being said, I'll probably still use the route before christmas. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I had a buddy do it from dublin to London City airport, he was heading to a Chelsea game, which would be my main reasons for being in London and the between the Jubilee to Green Park and changing to Earls Court to get to Stamford Bridge was about 1hr 10mins, give or take 30mins more than Heathrow to Earls Court.

That being said, I'll probably still use the route before christmas. :)

I don't think that too many people will be heading to Fulham broadway from LCY though :P

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/publics-hopes-for-cork-airport-are-unrealistic-357475.html

So apparently Aer Lingus have a new Cork-Boston service.
    And there was me thinking the Irish examiner was one of the better papers.
    Do the travel agents not realise that there will be pax going from BCN-BOS and visa versa on that flight? Normally I'd say a 4pw service to BOS isn't going to work on anything but June/July/August, but with this set up it might.

I don't think that too many people will be heading to Fulham broadway from LCY though :P
    After this weekend I don't think anyone will be heading to Fulham Broadway. Bye bye Jose. All hail the real champions, the "noisy neighbours". :D

Carnacalla wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/publics-hopes-for-cork-airport-are-unrealistic-357475.html

So apparently Aer Lingus have a new Cork-Boston service.
    And there was me thinking the Irish examiner was one of the better papers.
    Do the travel agents not realise that there will be pax going from BCN-BOS and visa versa on that flight? Normally I'd say a 4pw service to BOS isn't going to work on anything but June/July/August, but with this set up it might.
    And there was I looking forward to seeing Norweigan "trolly dollies" wiggling their booty, now I find out it's going to be the same auld well worn arse's that we'll have to look at. Seriously I suspect this was written from the bar in Jerez by a disgruntled T/A who knows that they will get little or no business from Norweigan as it will mostly done online.
    It is nice to note that the members of ITAA went off to Jerez for their little jolly and left us "Joe Public" to support the hospitality industry. I wonder how many hotels in Ireland would have welcomed this earner?
    Sour grapes IMO.

Aer Lingus have announced frequency increases for 2015 from Cork.

FAO from 7pw - 8pw
    BCN from 2pw to 3pw
    PMI from 3pw to 4pw
    CDG from 7pw to 9pw.
    DUS- NEW! 2pw.

I find the BCN increase interesting, looks like they will be facing up to some competition with DY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

That's great news,Hopefully they will operate the Cork - Nice flight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Well done to City Jet for sticking their necks out, I hope all these routes work out for them. The same of course to Norwegian.
    I hope people will look beyond the likes of Ryanair and support airlines that are interested in business in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Cork man hopes to have Cork-Dublin route back next year.

http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2015/10/15/4107567-hopes-for-takeoff-of-corkdublin-air-link/

Am I the only one who doesnt see the point of this route.People going out of/coming into Cork can connect to anywhere in the world through London,Paris and Amsterdam.We should be targeting direct routes out of and into Cork,not via Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

In my best Albanian accent...

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have announced frequency increases for 2015 from Cork.

FAO from 7pw - 8pw
    BCN from 2pw to 3pw
    PMI from 3pw to 4pw
    CDG from 7pw to 9pw.
    DUS- NEW! 2pw.

I find the BCN increase interesting, looks like they will be facing up to some competition with DY

DUS - ORK Doesn't begin until may next year.

DUS - ORK Doesn't begin until may next year.

I'm aware of that yes.

Just noticed I said 2015 instead of 2016, but none of those routes increase until APR/MAY anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭thomil

Cork man hopes to have Cork-Dublin route back next year.

http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2015/10/15/4107567-hopes-for-takeoff-of-corkdublin-air-link/

Am I the only one who doesnt see the point of this route.People going out of/coming into Cork can connect to anywhere in the world through London,Paris and Amsterdam.We should be targeting direct routes out of and into Cork,not via Dublin.

I can see the route itself attracting a decent amount of passengers, it's the underlying business plan that worries me. From all that I've seen, they plan to use the aircraft for just one route, which would mean a poor aircraft utilisation. These things only make money when in the air, what will the aircraft do when not operating ORK-DUB? It could potentially work if they start a route to Belfast at the same time, but I just don't see the numbers adding up for this one.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

New weekly service to Menorca from 25 June with Lee Travel and Stein Travel, lets hope it's not another Ibiza disaster...

Jesus H Christ ... what is the logic with the Air Bridges in Cork ?

Could they not at least use them when the weather is brutal outside.

People were standing out in the wind and rain while queuing to get inside last Sunday, the Cabin Crew had to make and announcement asking people to get to their seats more quickly so as people could 'avoid the elements'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Jesus H Christ ... what is the logic with the Air Bridges in Cork ?

Could they not at least use them when the weather is brutal outside.

People were standing out in the wind and rain while queuing to get inside last Sunday, the Cabin Crew had to make and announcement asking people to get to their seats more quickly so as people could 'avoid the elements'
    There is only one airbridge and not every airline wants to use it as it delays the turn around times. They also have an upper safety limit for wind which, with the storms over the last week would probably have been exceeded many times in the last 5/6 days. The airbridge and the aircraft will rock in high winds and one or both can be damaged if they bang off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I must say, being asked "What do you want now" when I requested a cup of tea without paint floating around in it when flying out of Cork last weekend was a lovely touch. Good to see that an airline that shall remain nameless have their full cranky ould biddy quota fulfilled :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

I must say, being asked "What do you want now" when I requested a cup of tea without paint floating around in it when flying out of Cork last weekend was a lovely touch. Good to see that an airline that shall remain nameless have their full cranky ould biddy quota fulfilled :rolleyes:.
    Put in a complaint, these auld biddys don't own the airline, also your helping to pay their wages.

Advertisement