Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Part-time coding work

• 19-08-2014 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in trying to earn a bit of extra money part-time. I've developed a few Windows Phone apps but released them for free and they have no ad's so obviously there is zero revenue coming in there.

Does anyone here do any kind of dev work part-time/on the side to earn some extra cash? If so, how do you go about getting that type of work?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

veganrun wrote: »
    I'm interested in trying to earn a bit of extra money part-time. I've developed a few Windows Phone apps but released them for free and they have no ad's so obviously there is zero revenue coming in there.

Does anyone here do any kind of dev work part-time/on the side to earn some extra cash? If so, how do you go about getting that type of work?

Thanks

Any possibility you could monetise your existing apps or whitelabel them for local businesses?

Draw income from what you have already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

TonyStark wrote: »
    Any possibility you could monetise your existing apps or whitelabel them for local businesses?

Draw income from what you have already!

Possibly, although I'm not sure what you mean by whitelabel them for local businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

veganrun wrote: »
    Possibly, although I'm not sure what you mean by whitelabel them for local businesses?

Basically have an app that does something useful, but sell it to a business as a branded app.

For instance as a very simple example you might have an app that displays the rss from a WordPress blog. But you sell the app to a company with their logo and color scheme with their rss blogs news in it.

Fundamental app stays the same across all apps created, branding etc.They feedback on useful features, you generate some revenue from the resulting dev requests or you offer the changes across to all customers who have paid a license for upgrades etc.. It's a basic example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Any links to the windows phone Apps you released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

If you're looking to make some extra money, I think developing/releases your own applications is probably a bit of a long shot. It's a lot like buying a lotto ticket, a few apps do make a lot of money, but most make about zero. Ignoring your time, even if you buy a domain name/webhost...you're likely to end up in the red.

Even reasonably 'successful' apps with ads don't make much. At my peak, I had 10,000 hits per month and I was only making ~4-5 EUR per month. In the last 3 years, that's like 150 EUR I've made, but I bought a domain name and I pay for hosting. That's maybe a net of 125 EUR. So, once per year, I could take my wife out to dinner at Eddie Rockets :)

If you can pick up some contract work, it's a lot more reliable. You won't stand to make millions when you invent the next Candy Crush, but you can get 30-100 per hour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement