Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Age Card,,,Whats The Point

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

coolock94 wrote: »
    so therefore telling people its over 21s they are discriminating against my age

The righteousness of youth is a joy to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

i be questioning it when i get my chance

First step is to state your case to the bouncer on the door.

Don't let him silence you..just rant rant rant at him. It will definitely help the case in court.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't think you being refused had anything to do with the age card tbh. They just didn't like the look of you and made up some excuse to make you feel better rather than saying "You look like a scumbag, we're not serving you."

I've never had any issue with the card bar a bouncer laughing at my photo once...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Blay wrote: »
    First step is to state your case to the bouncer on the door.

Don't let him silence you..just rant rant rant at him. It will definitely help the case in court.

The assault case?

markad1 wrote: »
    The assault case?

:pac:

We all know the first step in a successful discrimination case is shouting the odds about your rights like a loudmouth:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

trust me i don't look like a scumbag, if i did i wouldn't be doing what i do today

alright i think i cleared it up looking up the liquor act i found this makes intresting reading.

If—

(a) the holder of a licence or other authorisation which permits the sale of intoxicating liquor adopts a policy of refusing to supply intoxicating liquor to any person below a specified age which exceeds 18 years,

(b) a notice setting out the policy is displayed in a conspicuous place in or on the exterior of the premises, and

(c) the policy is implemented in good faith,

a refusal to serve intoxicating liquor to such a person shall not constitute discrimination on the age ground

trust me i don't look like a scumbag, if i did i wouldn't be doing what i do today

In fairness, nobody's going to say 'Actually, you're right, I do look like a scumbag'.

Your testimony will have to be stricken from the record. We need a third party opinion of your appearance.

haha have to laugh pal im not going to discuss whether or not i look like a scumbag, i don't speak nor look like one. ive been offered jobs as cabin crew and am currently in waiting for a medical for the garda reserve, nether of which take on scumbags,, hope i cleared that up for you

haha have to laugh pal im not going to discuss whether or not i look like a scumbag, i don't speak nor look like one. ive been offered jobs as cabin crew and am currently in waiting for a medical for the garda reserve, nether of which take on scumbags,, hope i cleared that up for you

Sure the guards will take all sorts these days...desperate for bodies:pac:

• Advertisement

cant argue there great point ah sure I must be a scumbag so explains a lot really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You cant carry around you €80 passport as it might get lost or stolen. Most twenty somethings I know in Dublin dont have a drivers license as insurance is too expensive to bother getting one. So an Age Card is the only choice.

But if we had a national ID like Italy there would be not need for an Age card and a passport( most Italians can use their ID card instead of a passport, even on Ryanair).

Were you out in your Santy suit again OP?

Maybe that explains it all.

fecking wish I was I got in everywhere in that suit didn't get asked for id once that night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

What does a Scumbag look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What does a Scumbag look like?

Hmm

kneemos wrote: »
    Hmm

Loads of scumbags dress well and loads of non scumbags might dress like a scumbag

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This is the first image result for scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Ranting & Raving forum , that way ---->

I've never been refused, even at 18 I manage to get in to the odd "over 21's". (Being polite does amazing things.)

I've also never seen an "over 21's only" in a shop, sure you're not mistaking it with those "if you're under 21 you must supply an age card" signs? or the ones that say "think 21, ask for ID"?

Ranting & Raving forum , that way ---->

I've never been refused, even at 18 I manage to get in to the odd "over 21's". (Being polite does amazing things.)

I've also never seen an "over 21's only" in a shop, sure you're not mistaking it with those "if you're under 21 you must supply an age card" signs? or the ones that say "think 21, ask for ID"?

Loads of places have signs saying over 21 and over 23

Some nightclubs, 1 in Dundalk 1 in Newry are both 21s on certain nights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Loads of places have signs saying over 21 and over 23

Some nightclubs, 1 in Dundalk 1 in Newry are both 21s on certain nights

I was talking about shopd, OP makes mention of Spar. I know plenty of bars do that, but I've never seen it in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You need a guy named Scott Tenorman OP he will sell you some pubes so you can reach maturity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

alright i think i cleared it up looking up the liquor act i found this makes intresting reading.

If—

(a) the holder of a licence or other authorisation which permits the sale of intoxicating liquor adopts a policy of refusing to supply intoxicating liquor to any person below a specified age which exceeds 18 years,

(b) a notice setting out the policy is displayed in a conspicuous place in or on the exterior of the premises, and

(c) the policy is implemented in good faith,

a refusal to serve intoxicating liquor to such a person shall not constitute discrimination on the age ground
    bollox it doesn't constitute age discrimination, that's exactly what it is and legalised too. :mad:
    how is it 'good faith' in any way?
    what if it were reversed and they refused to serve anyone over 35, there's be outrage in the media over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

Get this for unfair. My friend who is 25 (and looks it) got refused tobacco skins with his age card!!!

lilymc wrote: »
    Get this for unfair. My friend who is 25 (and looks it) got refused tobacco skins with his age card!!!

You can buy them at 16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

You can buy them at 16
    Not sure about 16 for skins,I think all tobacco related Products are over 18,just last week a neighbor of mine sent her 17 year old son down for skins and was refused in two different shops....
    I could be wrong ,does anybody know for sure what the legalities are for the likes of skins and filters?

Just found the answer here. http://www.showmeid.ie/faqs.htm so it's defo over 18 for skins and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

so therefore telling people its over 21s they are discriminating against my age

Nope, they really mean they don't want YOU in their establishment, they can legally let in anyone from 18 onwards. They are using their internal rules to keep YOU out of their premises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

'Go get a Burger and a Coffee.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I didn't read the whole thread but I have come into this "age card" thing even into my 30s. The age card is basically just the "drink card".

I think licenses to sell alcohol shouldn't be given to people unless they agree not to have a "over-25s" or whatever age policy. When people turn 18, they have just as many rights as other adults. I'm saying this as a 32 year old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement