Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Age Card,,,Whats The Point

• 31-12-2013 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

ok im going on a rant,

1) I was refused service with my age card in town over the weekend this made me furious the barman said they don't accept them as the Gardaí told them not to accept them, this is pure bull**** as the gardai are the ones who provide us with them.

2) places breaking the law, the spar for example have a sign which indicates you must be over 21 to purchase alcohol in store, this is going against the law, the law states a person who is 18 or over can purchase alcohol in this country with a form of id which also takes me back to my 1st point the documents include, age card, passport, driving licence.

why let people buy these cards if they are going to be refused it is so annoying being refused by these places.

3) a question I would love to get cleared up, as the legal drinking age is 18 in Ireland are pubs and clubs allowed to refuse entry to people who are under 21 even if they have id. I ask this because its age discrimination if a 90 year old got turned away from a club for being to old that's age discrimination so why is it different for some who is under 21 but over 18.

rant over lads any info would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Well I've never had these issues with my age card

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

coolock94 wrote: »
    2) places breaking the law, the spar for example have a sign which indicates you must be over 21 to purchase alcohol in store, this is going against the law, .

No, it isn't
    Private business
    They don't have to sell you a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Not tonight, son.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Many varied and valid points young man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

but its age discrimination

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Isn't a premises that sells alcohol allowed to set their own age limits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Maybe you're a scumbag OP and they don't want you on their premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Ahhh memories.....white socks was another reason not to let you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

ok im going on a rant,

1) I was refused service with my age card in town over the weekend this made me furious the barman said they don't accept them as the Gardaí told them not to accept them, this is pure bull**** as the gardai are the ones who provide us with them.

2) places breaking the law, the spar for example have a sign which indicates you must be over 21 to purchase alcohol in store, this is going against the law, the law states a person who is 18 or over can purchase alcohol in this country with a form of id which also takes me back to my 1st point the documents include, age card, passport, driving licence.

why let people buy these cards if they are going to be refused it is so annoying being refused by these places.

3) a question I would love to get cleared up, as the legal drinking age is 18 in Ireland are pubs and clubs allowed to refuse entry to people who are under 21 even if they have id. I ask this because its age discrimination if a 90 year old got turned away from a club for being to old that's age discrimination so why is it different for some who is under 21 but over 18.

rant over lads any info would be great thanks.

The Garda Age card excuse was rubbish, but any person entitled to refuse.

While age is a ground under equality legislation there is an exception between 18 and 21 (might be 23). So well within there rights to say no thanks.

far from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

I'd say the sign read that you cannot sell alcohol to anyone that looks under 21 that doesn't have id! In the last place I worked we had to ask anyone who looked under 21 for Id. It just covers all bases as sometimes it's hard to tell people's ages!!

You where unlucky in that bar but is there a possibility you don't look like the photo on your Id card? You're meant to refuse anyone your not 100 percent about!!

yeah fair enough, just the age card being refused made me pissed off

yeah fair enough, just the age card being refused made me pissed off

Get a passport.

the spar don't sell to under 21s and the age card is very recent i look the same as i do in the picture

but that's the reason for the age card a passport is a very important document and if lost cost a fortune to replace and plus the age card only costs a tenner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

kneemos wrote: »
    Get a passport.

The funny thing is the only defence to serving an under age person is the Garda Age card a passport gives no defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

markad1 wrote: »
    Ahhh memories.....white socks was another reason not to let you in.

So, I wasn't the only one!

that's true but ive gotten into places that are over 22s for example Saturday night i got in told him i was 22 even though he seen my age card he didn't realise i was lying and am only 19 the place was over 22's

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Private business can refuse to sell things to anyone for whatever reason they want so long as it doesn't fall under discrimination. If they thought you might not have been of age and didn't trust the age card as valid ID then they're entitled to refuse you.
    I think if that sign states as you said it did that would have been outright discrimination. I don't think a supermarket can refuse the sale of something below an arbitrary age unless its enforced by law, the usual sign is reserving of rights to refuse you if you look like you're under 21 which is fair since it'd imply you're in the range of possibly being under 18.

but that's the reason for the age card a passport is a very important document and if lost cost a fortune to replace and plus the age card only costs a tenner

True
    True

Nodding head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

I swear I'm 21, buddy!!!

i agree , would a club fall under a private business so if refusing someone based on age that's discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

i agree , would a club fall under a private business so if refusing someone based on age that's discrimination

Of course it's a private business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I got told my one was fake years ago, some bouncers are just ****

so therefore telling people its over 21s they are discriminating against my age

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Blay wrote: »
    Of course it's a private business.

right of admission reserved

simple as that really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Money racket

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

so therefore telling people its over 21s they are discriminating against my age

You're completely right..we need a judgement from the Supreme Court on this. Go for it.

i be questioning it when i get my chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

myshirt wrote: »
    So, I wasn't the only one!

Think it was cause i was from coolock

Advertisement