Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

List of companies who make Supermarket OWN BRANDS

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just cause there made in same factory doesn't make them the same, receipes and quality of ingredients change.

I've the luxury of being lots of different factories and see this for myself.

I also worked as a R&D engineer and we used to get stuff made in a factory in Malaysia who made stuff for other countries we had moreover stringent Quality control and hence our products were much more realiable

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

ted1 wrote: »
    Just cause there made in same factory doesn't make them the same, receipes and quality of ingredients change.

I've the luxury of being lots of different factories and see this for myself.

I also worked as a R&D engineer and we used to get stuff made in a factory in Malaysia who made stuff for other countries we had moreover stringent Quality control and hence our products were much more realiable
    I agree, but at least with food products you can easily compare the ingredients, the nutritional content and the taste of the branded Vs own brand product.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

One of the companies in the lists makes own brand for aldi, lidl, dunnes, and a few independents and they claim the product is Irish. Truth is most of the ingredients comes in from France, Holland and the UK.
    Exactly, all f&v are from either mainland Europe or overseas countries. And mostly is mediocre quality, especially products from Holland and Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭dunworth1

anyone know who makes tesco brand motor oil?
    and is it any good?

seen it was €14 for 2l v 22 for castrol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dunworth1 wrote: »
    anyone know who makes tesco brand motor oil?
    and is it any good?

seen it was €14 for 2l v 22 for castrol

Better off looking here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057110514

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Lidls organic Irish low fat yogurt is glenisk. I brought it tonight and I thought it was very similar. I googled the food tracking number and it is the same as glenisk

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

hfallada wrote: »
    Lidls organic Irish low fat yogurt is glenisk. I brought it tonight and I thought it was very similar. I googled the food tracking number and it is the same as glenisk

All you need to do is compare the plant approval number, in the oval circle. Simples:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

The 1 litre Supervalu brand tetrapak organic milk is Glenisk (same plant ID)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Supervalu 2L milk- Avonmore
    Supervalu IL milks/creams- Donegal Creameries
    Supervalu/Daily basics sugar- Siúcra

I'd say most of the own brand products are made by the same producers. When I was working in Supervalu I was packing Supervalu cookies on to the shelf, realised that the box said Supervalu but the products themselves said Sainsburys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Oracle wrote: »
    Maybe but it looks identical to Bewleys new packaging. If it is still McKinleys then I think thats made by Thomsons tea (Punjana) up North.

By the way Aldis tea McGraths and coffee comes from Robert Roberts in Tallaght, Dublin (scroll down): http://aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/best_of_ireland.htm?WT.z_src=main
    my tea of choise is punjana,
    are you certain that thompsons is really punjana, of so i will be trying it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

haro124 wrote: »
    Supervalu 2L milk- Avonmore
    Supervalu IL milks/creams- Donegal Creameries
    Supervalu/Daily basics sugar- Siúcra

I'd say most of the own brand products are made by the same producers. When I was working in Supervalu I was packing Supervalu cookies on to the shelf, realised that the box said Supervalu but the products themselves said Sainsburys!

Producers do it to lower their costs through bigger production. But also because of market differentiation which is when firms sell the exactly the same product in different markets. Eg own brand. they can do this as most consumers don't realise the same product in different packaging. This allows company to sell to both budget and premium shoppers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Does anybody else think the lidl range of tower gate biscuits taste and have very similar packaging logo to mac vities?

copycat-packaging-mcvities-tower-gate-digestives.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Duh, own brands tend to imitate the packaging of brands.
    Aldi's are even nicer imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

The first post in this is wrong. Country Crest is based in Lusk not Lucan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Anyone know which UK firm makes Tesco's plain choc digestives? They are new with 30% chocolate(!) and yum.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=273420511

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

PLEASE DON'T RESURRECT ZOMBIE THREADS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement