Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meat is murder, tasty, tasty murder . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It is unhealthy. At least you admit that
    I know you are being sarcastic towards my sarcasm because I wouldn't assume you are that stupid, though from some of the idiocity posted in this thread I could be wrong (though I doubt it).

Sandwiches are healthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Sandwiches are healthy?
    Depends what you put into it.
    The one I'm eating at the moment would probably be considered quite unhealthy because of the slab of butter and lashings of rich mayonnaise on it. Ummm....mayonnaise :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Depends what you put into it.
    The one I'm eating at the moment would probably be considered quite unhealthy because of the slab of butter and lashings of rich mayonnaise on it. Ummm....mayonnaise :P

I can't believe you're still holding in there. I'd eat you at this stage if it'd shut you up :rolleyes:

Mmmmm, corn fed :pac:

KTRIC wrote: »
    I can't believe you're still holding in there. I'd eat you at this stage if it'd shut you up :rolleyes:
    What the fuck is your problem, if you want to get involved in a discussion that is what this forum is for, if all you can add is telling people to shut up, then it is you who should fuck off.
    Why don't you tell the person holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read this thread to fuck off also.
    You sir are a serious <insert vitriolic, ban causing expression here>.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

skyflyer wrote: »
    As someone once said, what happens if you pour Dettol into a Yakult?

That's how they make UHT milk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The animal that has benefitted the most from human are the cattle. Humans breed them, we look after them and treat their diseases, house them in winter to keep them warm and fed and there are upto 1.5 billion cattle in the world today.
    The cattle befit from the humans and then we in turn benefit from the cattle, it is the most successful partnership between humans and the animal kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Vitamin B12 is not made by animals, no. It is made by bacteria of herbivorous animals, from which we obtain it when (if) we consume animal products.

Or if we just cut out the middle man and consume the B12 directly, just as we did before large-scale water sanitation removed it from the water we drink. Sounds a lot less wasteful to me.
    Omega 3s are another essential nutrient only available in sufficent quantities from animal sources. Since these are essential for human development (especially brain development) it follows that humans evolved eating animal products as a part of our diet.

I don't deny that my ancestors ate animal products. Fortunately their actions don't determine my dietary choices today, but I wonder why they do yours.
    These days we can supplement and what-have-you but my argument is that the healthiest diet for humans is the diet that our ancestors have been eating for well over 100,000 years, i.e. including meat. This is why I will never be a vegan or vegetarian and eat a paleo diet.

If that's your argument then present it. Specifically, why meat is essential. If you're just going to tell me how it's possible for you to eat meat, I don't see why you think I'm disagreeing.
    That said, since animals are an ideal part of one's diet, I find the idea that killing animals (humanely raised and slaughtered) is ludicrous. Just as ludicrous as saying a tiger is wrong to kill a deer.

I find this hard to accept for several reasons. Firstly, because you have yet to show that it is ideal and that (assuming you left out the words "is wrong" or something similar) even if you did, something contributing to a healthy diet doesn't necessarily mean it's the ethical choice. Additionally, I would have thought it went without saying that a tiger doing something doesn't mean I can do it with a clear conscience and I would have hoped most people would feel the same.
    Vegetarians and vegans conveniently ignore all the animals displaced by large scale agriculture, all the animals killed as part of pest control, all the animals killed by harvesting equipment and other parts involved in bringing vegetarian/vegan food to one's plate. The fact that vegetarians\vegans think one type of animal death (bearing in mind I'm referring to humanely raised animals) is wrong and another type is alright leads me to think that someone with such a view is either ill-informed, irrational, or bits of both.

I think very few veggies conveniently ignore this, in fact. As I mentioned in the post you quoted, one of the big problems with animal agriculture is the amount of food and land wasted to feed them during their lifetimes as well as the waste they produce (grass-fed beef being a proportionally high contributor). However, all of this crop and grazing land that has to be maintained to feed them means far more unintentional animal deaths than if more people adopted plant-based diets since it takes multiples more in space and effort to extract the same amount of nutrition from animals as it does plants. Abstaining from meat won't eliminate every single animal death, but it's far more effective than actively contributing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Or if we just cut out the middle man and consume the B12 directly, just as we did before large-scale water sanitation removed it from the water we drink. Sounds a lot less wasteful to me.

I don't deny that my ancestors ate animal products. Fortunately their actions don't determine my dietary choices today, but I wonder why they do yours.

If that's your argument then present it. Specifically, why meat is essential. If you're just going to tell me how it's possible for you to eat meat, I don't see why you think I'm disagreeing.

I find this hard to accept for several reasons. Firstly, because you have yet to show that it is ideal and that (assuming you left out the words "is wrong" or something similar) even if you did, something contributing to a healthy diet doesn't necessarily mean it's the ethical choice. Additionally, I would have thought it went without saying that a tiger doing something doesn't mean I can do it with a clear conscience and I would have hoped most people would feel the same.

I think very few veggies conveniently ignore this, in fact. As I mentioned in the post you quoted, one of the big problems with animal agriculture is the amount of food and land wasted to feed them during their lifetimes as well as the waste they produce (grass-fed beef being a proportionally high contributor). However, all of this crop and grazing land that has to be maintained to feed them means far more unintentional animal deaths than if more people adopted plant-based diets since it takes multiples more in space and effort to extract the same amount of nutrition from animals as it does plants. Abstaining from meat won't eliminate every single animal death, but it's far more effective than actively contributing to them.

At last, some reason debate.

So we agree that our ancestors ate meat (I've lost too much time arguing with people attempting to assert that we are naturally herbivorous). My view (and that of the paleo community) is that our society and culture has evolved much faster than our bodies, meaning that many parts of our modern lifestyle don't suit us, including diet. So a plaeo diet, as well as neccesitating meat and other animal products, means rejected grains and vegetable oils and other novel foods. You say meat is not essential, I say it's essential for an ideal, healthy diet. However, I don't want to get bogged down in that debate as it goes far beyond the whole point of this thread.

As I've stated before, I advocate humanely raised and slaughtered animals. Coming from a farming background, I know that cows (e.g.) in this country are treated like pets. They are fed, watered, sheltered and live a happy life until they are humanely killed. Abatoirs are specially designed to be as stressless as possible to cattle. I don't see what the problem with this is, or what difference there is between raising a cow for milk (which is OK for vegetarians) or raising it for meat (which is not), apart from a small difference in lifespan. Once cows are past milking age, guess what, they are slaughtered.

As for environmental impact of pasture-fed beef - cows in this country live in relative harmony with surrounding animals. Birds, foxes shrews etc.. can live in the same space as cattle. The same could not be said if these fields were replaced with large scale tracts for growing grain. I will agree that corn fed beef in America has much more environmental impact, but I don't eat this nor do I agree with feeding cattle such unnatural (for them) food which makes them fat, sick and practically diabetic

You say meat is not essential, I say it's essential for an ideal, healthy diet.
    Instead of just saying it, provide evidence, though I won't push you on that because you will find it very hard to come by.

Nutrient intake and iron status of Australian male vegetarians.
    Conclusion:
    The present study demonstrates that vegetarians had
    intakes of most macronutrients, minerals and vitamins
    closer to Recommended Intakes than did omnivores, parti-
    cularly with respect to quantity and type of fat intake,
    sodium, antioxidant vitamin and fibre intake. This may
    provide health benefits, particularly with respect to coron-
    ary heart disease. However, more consideration needs to be
    given to iron status in these men..............Attention should be
    given to optimising non-haem iron absorption by education
    about meal planning

The veggies have a more balanced diet and the iron prob easily solved without meat.
    Coronary heart disease one of the biggest killers in the western world.

Does low meat consumption increase life expectancy in humans?
    Conclusion:
    Current prospective cohort data from adults in North America and Europe raise the possibility that a lifestyle pattern that
    includes a very low meat intake is associated with greater longevity.

Something that can be seen in veggie societies all over the world (the reason for the study).

Serum concentrations of vitamin B12 and folate in British male omnivores, vegetarians and vegans:
    Conclusion:
    In all, 52% of vegans, 7% of vegetarians and one omnivore were classified as vitamin B12 deficient

93% of those veggies get plenty of B12

Cancer incidence in British vegetarians
    Conclusion:
    In conclusion, this study suggests that the incidence of all malignant neoplasms (cancers) combined may be lower among both fish eaters and vegetarians than among meat eaters.
    The most striking finding was the relatively low risk for cancers of the lymphatic and haematopoietic tissues among vegetarians.

Interesting, less cancers.

You say meat is not essential, I say it's essential for an ideal, healthy diet. However, I don't want to get bogged down in that debate as it goes far beyond the whole point of this thread.

I think it's quite relevant to the thread. If you're suggesting that my diet isn't healthy then I'd like to know what it is that I could only get from meat specifically.
    As I've stated before, I advocate humanely raised and slaughtered animals. Coming from a farming background, I know that cows (e.g.) in this country are treated like pets. They are fed, watered, sheltered and live a happy life until they are humanely killed. Abatoirs are specially designed to be as stressless as possible to cattle. I don't see what the problem with this is, or what difference there is between raising a cow for milk (which is OK for vegetarians) or raising it for meat (which is not), apart from a small difference in lifespan. Once cows are past milking age, guess what, they are slaughtered.

Livestock are capital and as such it's wise to keep them fed, watered and sheltered since these are their basic needs. They're also easier to handle and kill if they're not overly stressed. My problem isn't necessarily that animals are being poorly treated before they're killed but that they are killed at all, for no good reason that I can see and at quite a cost. I agree that there's little difference between dairy and beef cattle when the former often end up as the latter.
    As for environmental impact of pasture-fed beef - cows in this country live in relative harmony with surrounding animals. Birds, foxes shrews etc.. can live in the same space as cattle. The same could not be said if these fields were replaced with large scale tracts for growing grain. I will agree that corn fed beef in America has much more environmental impact, but I don't eat this nor do I agree with feeding cattle such unnatural (for them) food which makes them fat, sick and practically diabetic

The environmental impact I had in mind was the levels of methane that grazing cows produce. It may have less of an immediate impact on local environment but it has one nonetheless, as well as the longer-term effects. Those fed crops are given the diets they are because the one you advocate doesn't scale to the demand for them.

• Advertisement

I think it's quite relevant to the thread. If you're suggesting that my diet isn't healthy then I'd like to know what it is that I could only get from meat specifically.

Livestock are capital and as such it's wise to keep them fed, watered and sheltered since these are their basic needs. They're also easier to handle and kill if they're not overly stressed. My problem isn't necessarily that animals are being poorly treated before they're killed but that they are killed at all, for no good reason that I can see and at quite a cost. I agree that there's little difference between dairy and beef cattle when the former often end up as the latter.

The environmental impact I had in mind was the levels of methane that grazing cows produce. It may have less of an immediate impact on local environment but it has one nonetheless, as well as the longer-term effects. Those fed crops are given the diets they are because the one you advocate doesn't scale to the demand for them.

I am sure you are quite healthy. People who are vegetarian have generally taken a conscious decision to change their diet and are more mindful of the food they eat. It's probably possible to eat all the RDAs of various vitamins and minerals, but an important thing to realise is that RDAs are the minimum required amounts to avoid deficiency which is not neccesarily the same as the optimum amount. As well as that, certain nutrients are not very bioavailable in plant form, (iron and zinc for example) so on paper you might be getting enough nutrients, but the actual amount absorbed could be different. If you are really interested in my diet I can see if I can dig up some studies.

If you agree that there is not much difference in keeping cattle for dairy and in keeping them for slaughter we are not too much in disagreement. Only in the neccesity of eating animals.

As for methane production, rice accounts for 10-20% of global methane, comparable percentages to that of livestock. That's if you subscribe to the anthropogenic global warming theory, which I don't (at the moment).

I am sure you are quite healthy. People who are vegetarian have generally taken a conscious decision to change their diet and are more mindful of the food they eat.
    The key to a good diet is education, not meat. If meat was essential for a healthy diet then any studies done on veggies would show a tendency towards being unhealthy by the simple fact that they would be missing an "essential" element from their diet, this evidence is not there.
    As well as that, certain nutrients are not very bioavailable in plant form, (iron and zinc for example) so on paper you might be getting enough nutrients, but the actual amount absorbed could be different. If you are really interested in my diet I can see if I can dig up some studies.
    Iron absorption is increased significantly by Vitamin C, not a problem for veggies and no meat required.
    To keep zinc levels up you need to watch fibre intake and eat tofu, seeds, nuts, and beans, no meat required and hardly a problem for vegetarians.
    Next argument please.
    but an important thing to realise is that RDAs are the minimum required amounts to avoid deficiency which is not neccesarily the same as the optimum amount.
    That is incorrect RDA's are the optimum amount, you are thinking of the Lowest Threshold Intake, which is the lowest level of nutrient intake which is required for health and is lower than the RDA. And the RDA is also higher than the average requirement.
    Here is a table showing the difference.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

Taken from here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The key to a good diet is education, not meat. If meat was essential for a healthy diet then any studies done on veggies would show a tendency towards being unhealthy by the simple fact that they would be missing an "essential" element from their diet, this evidence is not there.

Ha!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19676146
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19357223
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18716749
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987

But since those studies are observational, and therefore cannot provide evidence for causation, I don't put too much stock in them, and since all the studies you quoted are observational, neither should you. But they do refute the idea that there is no downside to eating vegetarian.

Even the interventional trials on vegetarianism change about 15 things at once, including removing processed food, stress management, dietary counselling. There has never been one single long term study conducted that changed just meat-eating. So you can't say vegetarianism is healthier, because there is no good evidence that it is.

Western vegetarians tend to be wealthier, better educated and more health conscious than their omnivorous counterparts so duh they are healthier. But go to India and compare the health of vegetarians and meat eaters, surprise surprise they are much worse off.
    For six years Indian researcher Malhotra registered how many died from a heart attack among the more than one million employees of the Indian railways.

According to Malhotra's report employees who lived in Madras had the highest mortality. It was six to seven times higher than in Punjab, the district with the lowest mortality, and they died at a much younger age. But people in Punjab ate almost seventeen times more fat than people from Madras and most of it was animal fat. In addition they smoked much more.

But that's not proof animal fat (or smoking) is good for you, since it's just observational, but I think it refutes the level of evidence you have provided nicely. I think I've pretty much had this exact same argument with you before though so this should be all old hat to you now.:pac:

FWIW I think lacto-ovo vegetarianism can be perfectly healthy, veganism is a bat**** crazy experiment that people are more than welcome to gamble their health on if they so wish, doesn't bother me much. It does bother me when babies die of preventable vitamin deficiencies though.

I am sure you are quite healthy. People who are vegetarian have generally taken a conscious decision to change their diet and are more mindful of the food they eat. It's probably possible to eat all the RDAs of various vitamins and minerals, but an important thing to realise is that RDAs are the minimum required amounts to avoid deficiency which is not neccesarily the same as the optimum amount. As well as that, certain nutrients are not very bioavailable in plant form, (iron and zinc for example) so on paper you might be getting enough nutrients, but the actual amount absorbed could be different.

You've still to point out how meat is essential to a healthy diet. Can you support the comment or not?
    If you agree that there is not much difference in keeping cattle for dairy and in keeping them for slaughter we are not too much in disagreement. Only in the neccesity of eating animals.

Indeed. And I'm waiting for you to explain how it's necessary and not just an indulgence, which you seem to be avoiding.
    As for methane production, rice accounts for 10-20% of global methane, comparable percentages to that of livestock.

If you say so. Although I don't see the relevance as rice is hardly what I'd consider a meat alternative.
    That's if you subscribe to the anthropogenic global warming theory, which I don't (at the moment).

Right. So you have no problem following a diet with highly questionable assumptions but the idea that humans are at all responsible for climate change is far-fetched.
    If you are really interested in my diet I can see if I can dig up some studies.

I'm not that interested in the Paleo diet: I've read about it and it seems to be based on very flimsy assertions about the dietary habits of prehistoric humans. But do you avoid all plants and animals that weren't extant before the Agricultural Revolution? Do you hunt and forage all of the food you do eat or take advantage of agriculture? Do you cook?

Ha!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19676146
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19357223
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18716749
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987

But since those studies are observational, and therefore cannot provide evidence for causation, I don't put too much stock in them, and since all the studies you quoted are observational, neither should you. But they do refute the idea that there is no downside to eating vegetarian.

Even the interventional trials on vegetarianism change about 15 things at once, including removing processed food, stress management, dietary counselling. There has never been one single long term study conducted that changed just meat-eating. So you can't say vegetarianism is healthier, because there is no good evidence that it is.

Western vegetarians tend to be wealthier, better educated and more health conscious than their omnivorous counterparts so duh they are healthier. But go to India and compare the health of vegetarians and meat eaters, surprise surprise they are much worse off.

But that's not proof animal fat (or smoking) is good for you, since it's just observational, but I think it refutes the level of evidence you have provided nicely. I think I've pretty much had this exact same argument with you before though so this should be all old hat to you now.:pac:

, veganism is a bat**** crazy experiment that people are more than welcome to gamble their health on if they so wish, doesn't bother me much. It does bother me when babies die of preventable vitamin deficiencies though.
    Sorry to burst your little bubble, but there is no issue that vegans have a problem with B12, maybe you missed the numerous bits where I specifically state the word meat and not all animal products.
    Cheese and eggs both contain plenty of B12 and are not meat.

I am saying meat is not essential to a healthy diet, and it is the fact that vegetarians can be healthy that is the point. If they were missing an essential ingredient from their diet they couldn't be, irrespective of their social position or wealth. Get it?

The first study states an alarming increase in CVD, Indians have not suddenly switched to a veggie diet therefore other factors must be at play.
    The second states vegetarians must watch their diet, something I already addressed, meat is not essential for that, (eggs, cheese, will do).
    The third not much info.
    The fourth was on vegans, which I am not discussing.
    FWIW I think lacto-ovo vegetarianism can be perfectly healthy
    Which is exactly what I am saying, so what on earth is your issue. :confused:
    Also they couldn't be if meat was essential for health.
    You say you refute my evidence, then state the very same thing that I am saying, don't you find that a bit odd? .

Oh noes my bubble is burst! :D

My issue was with you saying vegetarianism is healthier, which it isn't, I said you can be relatively healthy as a vegetarian, but it requires careful planning, I wouldn't even include Iron as being a problem, zinc I probably would, even if a vegetarian food contains zinc, it also tends to contain low-bioavailability zinc and components that inhibit it's absorption (beans, grains and seeds are all high in these components). The fact that certain nutrient deficiencies are more common in vegetarians leads me to think that on average, most vegetarians are not meeting those needs.

You can be vegetarian and be healthy but to paraphrase Chris Rock, you can drive your car with your legs that don't make it a good fuckin idea!

To be honest nutrition science is entirely in it's infancy, so we can argue back and forth based upon very little evidence but why bother.

I prefer to eat local grass-fed beef and lamb that is far less environmentally impactful than imported industrial grown soy and beans which I do see a lot of vegetarians using as a staple of their diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

The life of every animal is as important to that animal as your life is to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Where are travelers in the food chain?

Can we eat them as well?

Oh noes my bubble is burst! :D

My issue was with you saying vegetarianism is healthier, which it isn't, I said you can be relatively healthy as a vegetarian,
    Well that's odd because I never said vegetarianism was healthier. My point is that it is not unhealthy, which there is overwhelming evidence for.
    And you didn't say relatively healthy you said perfectly healthy, two very different things.
    The fact that certain nutrient deficiencies are more common in vegetarians leads me to think that on average, most vegetarians are not meeting those needs
    The point is (if they are) they don't need meat to. Like all people omnivore or veggie, education is the key, not meat v's veggies.
    You can be vegetarian and be healthy but to paraphrase Chris Rock, you can drive your car with your legs that don't make it a good ****in idea!

To be honest nutrition science is entirely in it's infancy, so we can argue back and forth based upon very little evidence but why bother.

I prefer to eat local grass-fed beef and lamb that is far less environmentally impactful than imported industrial grown soy and beans which I do see a lot of vegetarians using as a staple of their diet.
    Nothing of what you say refutes my point about meat not being essential in our diet.

But what I don't get is that you have to go to all this extra effort to get things that are easily gotten from some meat, AND you're eating eggs and dairy (eating eggs kills way more chickens that eating beef kills cows), then what exactly is the point?

• Advertisement

But what I don't get is that you have to go to all this extra effort to get things that are easily gotten from some meat.

Like?

(eating eggs kills way more chickens that eating beef kills cows), then what exactly is the point?
    I eat loads of eggs and not a single chicken dies because of it. I don't buy them in a shop ;)

I'll leave the other bit to you and RussellTuring, since I don't go to the supposed effort because I'm not a vegetarian.

You've still to point out how meat is essential to a healthy diet. Can you support the comment or not?

Indeed. And I'm waiting for you to explain how it's necessary and not just an indulgence, which you seem to be avoiding.

If you say so. Although I don't see the relevance as rice is hardly what I'd consider a meat alternative.

Right. So you have no problem following a diet with highly questionable assumptions but the idea that humans are at all responsible for climate change is far-fetched.

I'm not that interested in the Paleo diet: I've read about it and it seems to be based on very flimsy assertions about the dietary habits of prehistoric humans. But do you avoid all plants and animals that weren't extant before the Agricultural Revolution? Do you hunt and forage all of the food you do eat or take advantage of agriculture? Do you cook?

I'm not interested in 'neccesary'. Humans are an adaptable species and can survive on a wide variety of foods, but I'm not interested in just surviving either. I'm interested in eating the optimal diet for the human animal, i.e. as close as possible to what we've been eating for 100,000 + years, not evolutionarily novel diets like western diet (with lots of grains) or veganism or vegetarianism. It's not possible to get it exactly like what a 'caveman' would have eaten, but you can get close (BTW we've been cooking food for around 150,000 years).

(I don't think anthropogenic climate change is far-fetched, I just don't think it has been proven.)

As El Dangeroso said, we could go back and forth with studies refuting each others statements but I don't think there is a point. I have never been as fit, healthy or energetic since I started eating a paleo diet and that is a good enough reason for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

People get so worked up about something they have no control over.
    If you've never had your opinion swayed by anyone on the internet ever then don't even engage in the debate.
    People have a built in craving for guilt, we have a desire to be reprimanded, kept in check if you will.
    This drug used be administered heavily by the church, but now that is waning any lunatic fringe cause seems to do.
    It used to be Ozone, fox hunting, whales, jockeys whips, pesticide control, global warming . . . . until you stop & a take a sensible look at proceedings.

The meat industry will only be expanded, there is no going back, get on board or look the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

I morally inept for not wanting to do the same?
    Why don't
    you join us here in the real word it's not that bad.
    I think vegetarians are ill-informed and/or irrational, that's my opinion and I have a right to it, just like you have to yours. I responded to posts in this thread stating eating animals is immoral. If no one posted that, I wouldn't have posted anything

Awwww the cuteness!!

I eat loads of eggs and not a single chicken dies because of it. I don't buy them in a shop ;)

Ehhh, hate to be the bubble burster this time but you do know that male chicks were killed so that your little pet could be bred? How's about the insects the chicken scavenges? To eat is to kill, whether that be tofu or beef, the only difference is the level of honesty of facing what has to happen so that you live.

Who trusted God was love indeed
    And love Creation's final law
    Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
    With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I learned something today. Hitler would have been one of histories most famous vegetarians along with many of his henchmen. It was not so much out of compassion for the cruelty to animals. but more a pagan obsession to reconnect with the soil and the Earth and animals were seen as unpure and beastly, not fit to enter the temple of a pure Aryan.

But very ironically the Nazis introduced some of the strongest laws ever seen at that time protecting animals in research also the same laws mandated humane treatment of livestock on farms.

Yet we all know of the live and unspeakable experiment performed on the Jews and the mentally disabled by the same NAZIs. What a fkcued up philosophy.

Ehhh, hate to be the bubble burster this time but you do know that male chicks were killed so that your little pet could be bred? How's about the insects the chicken scavenges? To eat is to kill, whether that be tofu or beef, the only difference is the level of honesty of facing what has to happen so that you live.

Who trusted God was love indeed
    And love Creation's final law
    Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
    With ravine, shriek'd against his creed
    FFS
    everything is a cycle of life and death with "eating" being central to that.
    :rolleyes:
    By the way, the person who has the chickens where I currently get my eggs from didn't breed or buy them, they were unwanted and she took them in.
    I also enjoy eating chicken and am able to kill and prepare one for the table.
    I can honestly say I am much more aware of the red in tooth and claw nature of life than most people, who only ever see meat in the sterile environment of the supermarket, so don't be preaching your crap this way.

The reason I defend vegetarianism is not because I have some sort of difficulty with the cycle of life and death but because there is nothing wrong with it, and people have the right to live as they see fit if they are doing no harm to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

All I want to know

Was there any animals harmed in the making of this thread?

If not my conscience is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

44leto wrote: »
    All I want to know

Was there any animals harmed in the making of this thread?

If not my conscience is clear.

I got a headache from reading some of it

Advertisement