Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Liberties,who to vote for?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Back on topic, having trouble finding Labours party manifesto, anyone have a link?

The LGBT section of Labours 2007 manifesto is as follows

http://www.labour.ie/manifesto/12.html
    http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/thefairsociety_manifesto2007.pdf
    Gay Rights
    Labour's Civil Union Bill was defeated by the present government parties. In government, Labour will reintroduce and enact this legislation. The Bill will create a status relationship equivalent to marriage for the benefit of people who are of the same sex and who, under the current constitutional understanding of marriage, cannot marry each other. In most respects, the same rules that apply to marriage will apply to civil unions.

Partners in a civil union will have the same rights, privileges and benefits and be subject to the same obligations, penalties and other sanctions as those that apply to spouses in a marriage. They will also be responsible for the support of one another and for any dependent child to the same degree and in the same manner as married persons.

The Bill provides that parties to a civil union who are living together may apply to adopt a child. The Bill also states that all adoption decisions must be made in the best long-term interests of the child.

Our objective, in due course, is to bring about constitutional change to provide for full equality between heterosexual and homosexual couples. In addition, Labour will take a number of measures to improve the position and well-being of lesbian, gay and transgendered citizens in our society.

We will:

Put in place policies to tackle homophobic bullying in our second level education system.

Amend employment equality legislation to prohibit schools from discriminating against their employees on the grounds of sexual orientation or marital status.

Introduce a gender recognition act to provide transgendered people with the right to realise their gender identity.

Introduce a gay and lesbian strand to the National Anti-Poverty Strategy based on updated research on poverty issues among gay and lesbian people.

Provide for a lesbian and gay community-building framework within the Pobal Strategic Plan and amend the legislation governing Community Development
    Projects to allow for non-locality based community projects

Appoint an official in the Department of Health to have responsibility for advising the Minister on LGBT health issues and for liaising with the LGBT community on same. We are committed to on-going funding of gay HIV strategies.

Create a national LGBT monitoring and advisory committee, under the aegis of a relevant government department

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The problem is that the birth cert is interpreted as being a true reflection of the characteristics of someone now. When one applies for a passport one uses one's birth cert as evidence relating to one's state now.

Passports and Driving Licences are already issues in the acquired gender

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement