Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

not being part of your childs life

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

There are some parents that I wish would walk away from their children. The children would be better off as orphans/wards of the state, or if adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Do fines apply to the men who refuse to? And to those who dont want to see their kids?

What about the ones who emmigrate? Remarry? etc.... Do they all get fined?

Why would remarrying prevent a man from participating in th lives of his children from a previous relationship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Why would remarrying prevent a man from participating in th lives of his children from a previous relationship?

Well, they move away, have new kids, and a new family, natural distance occurs or old kids don't get on with new kids, step mom hates bio mom, bio mom hates step mom, it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Well, they move away, have new kids, and a new family, natural distance occurs or old kids don't get on with new kids, step mom hates bio mom, bio mom hates step mom, it happens.

It happens if you don't make an effort to remain in your childrens' lives. I know many remarried men who continue to parent the children of their previous relationship because it is important to them to overcome those sort of impediments.

The "reasons" you gave are just excuses for laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Can't say I'm surprised if she did. This thread turned ugly some time ago. Unsubscribing.
    Why do so many people find it so difficult to discuss, comment, criticise, debate or discourse without turning aggressive? I'm thinking of starting a thread on it. Are we all supposed to hold the same opinions? I'm well aware of how difficult this subject is for some, but usually two people are suffering in these situations, more if you count the kids.

• Advertisement

It happens if you don't make an effort to remain in your childrens' lives. I know many remarried men who continue to parent the children of their previous relationship because it is important to them to overcome those sort of impediments.

Yes I do too. But I also know kids [now adults] who grew up with the other circumstances. People get overcommitted. They have a new family and they dont want to risk failing that one for the sake of the one that already failed. So something has to give.

People do what they want, everything else is rationalisations in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Again it can be different reasons, some men just forget about the the children as they've a new life, sometimes the new wife/partner forces them not to see the children due to jealousy (his fault IMO) and sometimes the ex is jealous of the new relationship and makes it difficult, I'm sure there are other reasons too. These things are usually complicated.

Even a Dad who walks away can have his reasons. Barnardos had a scheme reuniting absent young Dads with their children, often it was just a lack of education about rights etc., immaturity with the prospect of being a young Dad, stuff like that. Some might see that as excuses, sometimes people just don't know much better and need help.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭boboldpilot

I know there are reason for it all. But I personally could not walk away from my kids. I have two, one is particularly like me. The poor barsteward. The other is the light of my life.

I cannot imagine being separated from them. I wouldn't even give a sperm donation. It would drive me crazy thinking there's a son or daughter of mine out there that I didn't know.

I don't know how some parents can leave their kids behind unless they had no choice.

But that's just me.

As for the grammar nazis, mods can be ban them? Yeah sure I hate mispellings and the rest. But really it's just BS.

I know there are reason for it all. But I personally could not walk away from my kids. I have two, one is particularly like me. The poor barsteward. The other is the light of my life.

I cannot imagine being separated from them. I wouldn't even give a sperm donation. It would drive me crazy thinking there's a son or daughter of mine out there that I didn't know.

I don't know how some parents can leave their kids behind unless they had no choice.

But that's just me.

I had access denied a few times, went through all the emotions from depression to anger, it's an amazing thing when you get to see them again. I couldn't just leave a child like that but as you say, that's me too. A couple of times I came close to imagining how somebody could just walk away and say "this isn't worth it for everybody".
    As for the grammar nazis, mods can be ban them? Yeah sure I hate mispellings and the rest. But really it's just BS.

Just as an aside, I think it was acted on, maybe not bans but action was taken. Got a bit silly, but as I'd posted and taken an interest in the thread, preferred to leave it my betters! Report any posts you think weren't actioned or pm the mods with questions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I had access denied a few times, went through all the emotions from depression to anger, it's an amazing thing when you get to see them again. I couldn't just leave a child like that but as you say, that's me too. A couple of times I came close to imagining how somebody could just walk away and say "this isn't worth it for everybody".

Just as an aside, I think it was acted on, maybe not bans but action was taken. Got a bit silly, but as I'd posted and taken an interest in the thread, preferred to leave it my betters! Report any posts you think weren't actioned or pm the mods with questions.

When people do it, I don't know how much they fully understand the consequences of their actions up the road. There's also depression and other mental illnesses to consider, maybe addiction too.

As to your second point, I don't think it was the grammar corrections that were nasty, there were some very snide personalised comments made that were pretty nasty. I guess the mods don't read everything? I jsut kind of assume they do and if they don't take any action it means they endorse it and that its ok, which would lead one not to report further offenses.

• Advertisement

When people do it, I don't know how much they fully understand the consequences of their actions up the road. There's also depression and other mental illnesses to consider, maybe addiction too.

It often isn't also, but depression and addiction could be a result of the denial of access or indeed, the other side of the coin, why access was denied and it makes things worse. Sometimes it is just a case of a man just not giving a bollicks and couldn't care less no matter what, your basic narcissist, or a controlling power wielding ex with narcissistic tendencies.

One of the best laughs I got on this subject was, apparently a mother can't be narcissistic just by giving birth! Apparently the act of giving birth cures all manner of disorders!
    As to your second point, I don't think it was the grammar corrections that were nasty, there were some very snide personalised comments made that were pretty nasty. I guess the mods don't read everything? I jsut kind of assume they do and if they don't take any action it means they endorse it and that its ok, which would lead one not to report further offenses.

Well I just argued with anything I thought objectionable. Again, I didn't really mod the thread so report anything or pm the mods. I shouldn't really be talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I can't believe you were denied access, unless you've got serious criminal convictions it's nothing but a disgusting shame that this goes on in Ireland today.

Our leader apologised today over the way the state treated women so unfairly. Maybe in 20 or 60 years time the then leader will have to apologise over how unfairly the state has treated men.

I can't believe you were denied access, unless you've got serious criminal convictions it's nothing but a disgusting shame that this goes on in Ireland today.

Our leader apologised today over the way the state treated women so unfairly. Maybe in 20 or 60 years time the then leader will have to apologise over how unfairly the state has treated men.

The whole thing needs root and branch reform, from a mother who can just deny access at a whim or because of a row, and the courts will only give her a slap on the wrist, to men who never see the child and how can you force a dad who doesn't give a bollicks about himself, to see and care for a child? to a divorce bill that was conservative nearly 20 years ago when it was first introduced, and now is starting to look archaic.

Meanwhile they introduce co-habitation and same sex rights, and that's fantastic, maybe they'd put a little bit of attention on the f*cking current f*ck up of a family system, before potentially adding hundreds or thousands more to the system down the line.

I haven't even covered half the stupidities of the current system in that rant. But anybody who looks at it from a "my sex is worse of than yours" angle, isn't the person to be looking to for answers.

The whole thing needs root and branch reform, from a mother who can just deny access at a whim or because of a row, and the courts will only give her a slap on the wrist, to men who never see the child and how can you force a dad who doesn't give a bollicks about himself, to see and care for a child? to a divorce bill that was conservative nearly 20 years ago when it was first introduced, and now is starting to look archaic.

Meanwhile they introduce co-habitation and same sex rights, and that's fantastic, maybe they'd put a little bit of attention on the f*cking current f*ck up of a family system, before potentially adding hundreds or thousands more to the system down the line.

I haven't even covered half the stupidities of the current system in that rant. But anybody who looks at it from a "my sex is worse of than yours" angle, isn't the person to be looking to for answers.

It must be the most alienating feeling to know you have kid out there, this person who exists because of you, and never know them, even what they look like. I don't know how some turn their feelings off to this, or to the kids who also live wondering what their parent or parents even look like. It's so hard to even begin to imagine. ANd to live and then die, never knowing.

I know someone who was denied access by a grandparent, actually two dads were, one by a maternal grandfather who had a lot of money and clout and dominated his daughter, neither the daughter or the child were allowed to see him again. He ended up not knowing where they were, time moves forward and it becomes harder and harder to intercept a life, not knowing what they are being told, are they being raised by someone else and she thinks hes her father, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Off topic I know (apologies), but would like to say I'm sorry to see Eve has closed her account, another good poster gone. Pity accounts can't be deactivated or disabled to allow members to exit boards for a period but perhaps not permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The OP posted a threadbare comment about how they can't understand someone choosing not to be part of their child's life... no mention of whether done by a father or mother, no mention by the OP whether they're a single mother or even a woman... and in response, a TIRADE re single mothers being bitter. And even some "genius" saying to Hairyprincess:
    joe stodge wrote: »
    Just come out and say it we're all bastarðs.
    ... when all she did was say that actually, in her experience, her child's father (one man, she said nothing about all men) did walk away and then she defended herself from a vitriolic ad hominem (simply because her story was inconvenient). :confused:

There are indeed two sides to every story, and what appears to be a case of walking away is not always so clear-cut - I still wouldn't discount the possibility however that there are some parents (male and female) who just don't want to be involved in their child's life, because they're simply not into parenting. I have spoken to a man who said this is the very thing that applied to his situation. I know that's an anecdote but so what? It's from the horse's mouth; it can happen. A more high-profile example is Julie Burchill. Just not into being a mother. No mention of PND or any other issues.

I can understand separated fathers feeling defensive (when there are automatically more rights afforded to the mother, and it is grossly unfair; and when many of them get unfairly tarred with the "deadbeat dad" brush when it often does not apply) but there's no need to take this topic so personally to the point of aggression and downright haranguing. It's not directed at those separated fathers who want/have a role in their child(ren)'s life but face a lot of obstacles, the challenging of which, isn't always feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Im sad to say that i have walked away recently :(

Over the past year i have only seen my kids twice.

I used to have to fight with the ex to see them and because we lived so close i always made sure i saw them everyday and had them every weekend.

Some **** happened and i lost the plot, turned to drink and drugs and pretty much ****ed my life up, its horrible not seeing them but i'd rather they didn't see me the way i am for now till i sort myself, it seems selfish i know but i need to be right in the head for my kids.

Still in contact with the mother and pay my maintenance and do whatever i can do from a distance. But sometimes you gotta do stuff you dont want to.

Damn i miss them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

I used to have to fight with the ex to see them and because we lived so close i always made sure i saw them everyday and had them every weekend.

Some **** happened and i lost the plot, turned to drink and drugs and pretty much ****ed my life up, its horrible not seeing them but i'd rather they didn't see me the way i am for now till i sort myself, it seems selfish i know but i need to be right in the head for my kids.

Still in contact with the mother and pay my maintenance and do whatever i can do from a distance. But sometimes you gotta do stuff you dont want to.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you can find some way around it for you and your kids sakes. You'll never have a better incentive to turn your life around than your kids but you seem to be on the right track which is great. Forget your mistakes, you should be proud of yourself for facing up to them and thinking of your kids. I don't think your selfish at all. I wish you all the best.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

That's really sad. I know what addiction can do to people. But every day is a chance to turn things around. Maybe you could just send them some letters or something so they know you haven't forgotten about them and that it's not their fault, give them a narrative to hang onto that explains why you don't see them. Hope you dont mind the onsolicited advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

That's really sad. I know what addiction can do to people. But every day is a chance to turn things around. Maybe you could just send them some letters or something so they know you haven't forgotten about them and that it's not their fault, give them a narrative to hang onto that explains why you don't see them. Hope you dont mind the onsolicited advice. :)

Just to say its not heroin ;) I aint that bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Madam_X wrote: »
    Wow, some thread. Venom-filled. The OP posted a threadbare comment about how they can't understand someone choosing not to be part of their child's life... no mention of whether done by a father or mother, no mention by the OP whether they're a single mother or even a woman..

It can either man or women. I'M A GUY and both parents where part of my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

cena wrote: »
    It can either man or women. I'M A GUY and both parents where part of my life
    That's my point. It was just assumed you were a single mother out to have a go at all estranged dads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Madam_X wrote: »
    That's my point. It was just assumed you were a single mother out to have a go at all estranged dads.

In my op I never said anything about dads. If I wanted too I would of added it to the thread title

Advertisement