Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sith Review

Options
  • 07-05-2005 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Check out http://www.empireonline.co.uk for a short review on ROTS, looks like its gonna be the redeemer for the other piles of horse phallus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

kevthecelt wrote:
    Check out http://www.empireonline.co.uk for a short review on ROTS, looks like its gonna be the redeemer for the other piles of horse phallus

I really dont understand why everyone hates them so much! Sure there are bad things in them, but there are also great things in them, I mean it looks like you all dont want more Star Wars or something? And before you think I'm a newbie to Star Wars ive been watching them my whole life and adore them, whats so wrong with the Prequels? Yes Jar Jar sucks, but as we saw in II he had his reasons to be there.

The good outweighs the bad in my opinion - the fights, the new worlds, just being in the whole setting again is good enough for me, I think Lucas deserves a lot more credit than he gets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I think people think they sucked because after 20 years they were hoping for something bigger than the orginial 3.In retrospect that was nearly impossible but people expected that. I also think it only takes one thing to ruin a movie if that one thing is so annoying you want to blow the character's head off. That was Jar Jar Binks for me and many! I did like the Darth Maul fights with Obi and Qui.

Then when I second one came out there was less Jar Jar and I actually liked it.It still wasnt near as good as the originals but it was enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

in the words of peter jackson: "the only reason to watch the first two movies is to see the last one"

he was talking about lotr, but it applies here. the other two were backstory so lucas could give us some proper space fighting and darth vader.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Nice review.
    The was even a bit of humour
    P.S. I do have one spoiler. Mace Windu's death scene is odd. He gets eaten by a giant shark. I wasn't expecting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I cannot remember who said it or where i read it. It may have been posted here so do not crucify me if i am stealing someone elses words but this has never left my head since i read it...
    Someone wrote:
    Not even George Lucas can f*** up this storyline!

I mean here you have the ultimate drama. We will all get to witness Anakins fall from grace in all its bloody glory. Death, voilence, anger, betrayal, love and then THAT suit. Remember in the hype leading up to EP1 how excited we all got when we saw that poster of young Anakin, his head down and casting the shadow of Darth Vader? We wanted to see the young Darth Vader. To see how the evil son of a b**** came to be. We were disappointed then but now we can see him!

In the original movie when we get a glimpse of what Vader did, when Obi wan describes how he betrayed and hunted down the Jedi knights... we get to see that! I think that EP1 and EP2 were a let down because lets face it... we have not gotten what we wanted. Here lies the brunt of the story, this movie is what we all want to see. And even if the acting is still bad, even if the love story is laughable, nothing will distract us from seeing what we have salivated over seeing since that Anakin poster first appeared. The creation of the ultimate villian.

I am excited about this movie because it is like someone says... It will be good just because it is almost impossible not to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

in the words of peter jackson: "the only reason to watch the first two movies is to see the last one"

he was talking about lotr, but it applies here. the other two were backstory so lucas could give us some proper space fighting and darth vader.

That is the downright stupidest justification I've heard yet for Episodes 1 & 2. A similar argument has been going on in the comics world since last year's Identity Crisis and Avengers : Disassembled crossovers, and I quote from there:

"I've got to say that I think that's one of the worst excuses in the world for writing a terrible comic. If a writer can't come up with an entertaining way to erect the bones for his or her next big event -- even in the middle of the current big event -- then they should reconsider the wisdom of the next big event... I think comics need to stand on their own on a month-to-month basis."

Episode 1 needed a hell of a lot of editing and a downright reconsideration of the way Jar Jar was used, very cynically, to be an access point for children the same age as the teletubbies target audience. Episode 2 would have been ok were it not for some dodgy dialogue. Episode 3 can be great, but it won't retroactively make the first two prequels any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Actually, I think Episode III could give some added significance to I and II. To see how he finally falls into darkness over the three movies (well II and III at least).
    I agree however that Episode I does need a lot of editing. Jar Jar could have had a much reduced role and the movie would have been better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

This film has an 80%+ rating at Rotten Tomatoes, pretty impressive. But I'm worried that maybe everyones thinking "This is the last one, we have to like it, theres nothing after this". But I doubt it.

I thought the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were OK, but I'm not a huge Star Wars fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Now that the rumours of Tom Stoppard helping tidy up the screenplay for episode III have been confirmed, I have a whole lot more faith in it.

I don't think that episode III is going to make episode I and II any better, but it will hopefully at least shut some of the whiners up - the ones that were expecting the big pay-off in those movies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I thought the first one was average, the second one had its moments, like the battle with Jango Fett, but was only marginally better than the first one, I think the third one could blow us away but no doubt people will be coming on quibbling about certain things.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Now that the rumours of Tom Stoppard helping tidy up the screenplay for episode III have been confirmed, I have a whole lot more faith in it.

Read the biography on imdb and he has got a lot of respectable credits but is this really such a good thing? What do you think he will bring to the film that will improve it so immensly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Well, hopefully he'll bring a more 'human' aspect to the film, and we won't get any more lines like "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Well, hopefully he'll bring a more 'human' aspect to the film, and we won't get any more lines like "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."

Yea that line still makes laugh. A lot of the dialouge from the first two films is fairly cringeworthy, it would definitely be nice to see a bit of 'real' acting this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

just watched the free dvd in the news of the world im gagging for this
    but im not gonna build up my hopes

im sure there will be things left unawnsered .
    there always is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cellulite_sally

I'm hoping it will be good. I’m going to TRY probably in vain to go to the cinema with an open mind but it will most likely be lingering somewhere in the depths of my mind ('PLZ GEORGE DON'T SCREW THIS UP :D )

Advertisement