Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC 240mb/s + unlimited mobile calls €45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

homer911 wrote: »
    I'm currently on the 120/12 bb and phone bundle and was told my price was going up €1.01 to €45 and I'm getting an extra 150 minutes (never use them)

Tried opting for the €40 service online but there was no 4 month introduction offered and they were looking for €60 setup fee. It even recognised me as an existing customer..

Guess a phone call is in order..

Sorted over the phone, €40 a month, same broadband, no free mobile calls but never use them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

after recent price increase i was paying just of €50 a month on the 120mb plan. so called yesterday evening and moved to the 240 plan at 45 a month???? all cool and changed, made a few tweaks on the modem to run wireless at 5ghz and the speed is crazy fast - HTC M8 at over 60mb and the ipad air touching 90mb download.

wired connection to the desktop pc and this is running at 170 - 200 mb - seems ok and the result of the night was using the horizon phone app. I got my landline number back working again when on the wifi at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh, from the speedtest thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93714110&postcount=1988

Looks like they've gone to 240/24 not 240/20. Smashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Just checked mine there. I'm paying €52.50 for 120mb and anytime world. Wonder will i be able to upgrade and save a few quid.

Same as myself, I switched over to the 240 with mobile package for €45, minus the self service discount. My bill is usually over €55 anyway as the cost of mobile calls usually brings it up so the €45 package is perfect, even if the only devices within the house capable of dealing with the high speed is my work laptop which I don't use for any recreational purposes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 md3099

hi
    does anyone else saw an increase in upload to 24 but the speed of the download is still the same at 190 to 200 max???. i reset the modem several times cant pass 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Trying to upgrade online but they want a €60 'activation fee'. Currently on the 120MB with phone package for €50.

Will they want €60 if I call them to upgrade tomorrow?

The activation fee showed up for me online but it does say it may depend on the package you have, I think it depends on your router really and if you require a new one.

When I rang I checked and wasn't required to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oat23 wrote: »
    Trying to upgrade online but they want a €60 'activation fee'. Currently on the 120MB with phone package for €50.

Will they want €60 if I call them to upgrade tomorrow?

If you have a cisco 3925, technicolor 7200 or that white Thomson one with the 2 antennas then you don't need and won't get a new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The activation fee showed up for me online but it does say it may depend on the package you have, I think it depends on your router really and if you require a new one.

When I rang I checked and wasn't required to pay it.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you have a cisco 3925, technicolor 7200 or that white Thomson one with the 2 antennas then you don't need and won't get a new modem.

Cheers, must have missed that part on the website. I have the cisco (bridged because it's sh*te). I'll give them a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Oat23 wrote:
    Cheers, must have missed that part on the website. I have the cisco (bridged because it's sh*te). I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Does the new contract start immediately or after 30 days ?? I am having 200 and planning to degrade to 220 as i only use wifi !!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What hardware are you using?

Didn't get an email but looks like I can upgrade to the 240mb BB, Horizon Max and phone for €85 vs around €100 unless I'm missing something.

http://www.upc.ie/existingcustomer/broadband-tv-phone/

Starts as soon as you upgrade/downgrade afaik.

I was thinking to wait till my current contract runs out on 10th feb !! i only pay 24 eur currently for 200 mbps....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tharmor wrote: »
    Does the new contract start immediately or after 30 days ?? I am having 200 and planning to degrade to 220 as i only use wifi !!

Probably true for most people.

However I decided to upgrade to the 240/24 because of the big jump in upload speed. Upload speed makes a big difference with cloud service (backups, pictures, etc) and with working from home (uploading builds, etc.). So very, very welcome.

It is amazing for me to think that in the space of one year I've gone from 16m/500kb/s to 120/10mb/s to 240/24mb/s !!!! It is truly amazing times we live in :)

BTW you can get high speeds with decent wifi. I just did a speed test over wifi (802.11n) and got 198mb/s down, 24.95mb/s up! I admit it was in the same room as the wifi router (sitting room) but still very good performance. With 802.11ac you should easily be able to hit 240mb/s or higher over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

bk wrote: »
    Probably true for most people.

However I decided to upgrade to the 240/24 because of the big jump in upload speed. Upload speed makes a big difference with cloud service (backups, pictures, etc) and with working from home (uploading builds, etc.). So very, very welcome.

It is amazing for me to think that in the space of one year I've gone from 16m/500kb/s to 120/10mb/s to 240/24mb/s !!!! It is truly amazing times we live in :)

BTW you can get high speeds with decent wifi. I just did a speed test over wifi (802.11n) and got 198mb/s down, 24.95mb/s up! I admit it was in the same room as the wifi router (sitting room) but still very good performance. With 802.11ac you should easily be able to hit 240mb/s or higher over wifi.

Is it a UPC router you are using bk?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is it a UPC router you are using bk?

No, I'm using my own wifi router (Archer C7, it is a 802.11ac model, but I'm only using 802.11n) connected to the UPC router/modem.

Not a hope that UPC or any ISPs CPE would manage that kinda of throughput at the moment, though that'll change with AC w/ MIMO units start reaching their price points.

DLINK just released a new toy at CES actually, this whole focused antennas thing has gone a little too far...
    http://cdn.tecnologia21.com/2015/01/dlink-router.jpg

Still want one though. Or two.

I have the poor Technocolor 7200, it can't 2.4GHz & 5GHz at the same time, can any of the other non horizon modem/routers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whats the hardware ?

listermint wrote: »
    Whats the hardware ?

I've been wondering myself since the original question :)

cisk wrote: »
    I have the poor Technocolor 7200, it can't 2.4GHz & 5GHz at the same time, can any of the other non horizon modem/routers?

Nope, no simultaneous dualband support yet. Gotta buy one yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I just upgraded to 240/24. Speedtest of around 140/24

Going to have get a tech out i think.

It was flawless on 120Mb

I have an irrational hatred for my Belkin F5D8235-4 v1 Router, I have the Cisco Bridged and the belkin is the wireless access point.

I dont know why i dont like it maybe because it doesnt sit well NAS. or the interface is limited . Other than that it hasnt really let me down at all.

What equipment is anyone else using on their Cisco and how do you rate it ?

listermint wrote: »
    I have an irrational hatred for my Belkin F5D8235-4 v1 Router, I have the Cisco Bridged and the belkin is the wireless access point.

I dont know why i dont like it maybe because it doesnt sit well NAS. or the interface is limited . Other than that it hasnt really let me down at all.

What equipment is anyone else using on their Cisco and how do you rate it ?

I have my Cisco 3925 in Bridge mode and a Netgear WNDR3700 dualband router attached. Full WiFi throughout the house with only one deadspot upstairs at the back of the house. Deadspot is covered by a Netgear dualband WiFi extender.
    I have a Samknows white box attached which shows my average monthly download speed is 186mbps and upload is 19mbps in December. There were 4 days over Xmas where there was significant packet loss and latency issues reported by samknows. Has been fine since and that was the first time I had issues in 2014.
    I work from home and the speed on WiFi using the 5hz connection is about 120mbps and that's upstairs.

They removed 4 months free for existing customers from website !!

tharmor wrote: »
    They removed 4 months free for existing customers from website !!

4 months free what ?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote:
    4 months free what ?

4 months half price....lol....getting dreams now of getting a good deal from UPC....

Advertisement