Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭alanbk

Karsini wrote: »
    Got it going here using CMwatch. Tried with MIB Browser first but although it said it set the value, the modem didn't reboot. CMwatch worked first time. Got a public IP at 19:06, lets see if it sticks...
    Yeah. Let's know if it sticks please. Seems a bit of a pain if every time there's a FW update, we will have to "flash" the box. I wonder is there a way to stop FW upgrades ?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Right, just an update. I managed to get mine into bridge mode. I disconnected the coax cable, followed the instructions on Windows Option 2 on the front page and used MIB Browser (CMWatch wouldn't work). I've got a router connected now, but it's an old DLink 855 so I'll probably get the Asus N66 someone mentioned a few pages ago.

The main reason I did this is that I don't like the idea of the Thomson (and other UPC routers) having hidden wireless networks, that others could access.

alanbk wrote: »
    Yeah. Let's know if it sticks please. Seems a bit of a pain if every time there's a FW update, we will have to "flash" the box. I wonder is there a way to stop FW upgrades ?

Still working nearly two hours later. :)

Firmware version is STD6.01.08.T20

Skittle wrote: »
    Right, just an update. I managed to get mine into bridge mode. I disconnected the coax cable, followed the instructions on Windows Option 2 on the front page and used MIB Browser (CMWatch wouldn't work). I've got a router connected now, but it's an old DLink 855 so I'll probably get the Asus N66 someone mentioned a few pages ago.

The main reason I did this is that I don't like the idea of the Thomson (and other UPC routers) having hidden wireless networks, that others could access.

Got that ASUS N66 and it is the dog's. Best GUI I've seen on a routers web interface !!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

STD6.01.08.T20

Giggity.

• Advertisement

Asm wrote: »
    Giggity.

I have a TC7200 by the way... just to clarify!

All still good here after 4 hours. I won't post constant updates, :pac:, but I will let you all know if it does reset.

Wow, very interesting!

My router has IPv6 support. On the EPC2203 it was establishing a 6to4 tunnel to connect but it is now getting a native connection via DHCPv6 - the address starts with 2a02:8081. So UPC's IPv6 network seems to be operational.

Wow, very interesting!

My router has IPv6 support. On the EPC2203 it was establishing a 6to4 tunnel to connect but it is now getting a native connection via DHCPv6 - the address starts with 2a02:8081. So UPC's IPv6 network seems to be operational.

I have the same UPC router. What does the IPv6 mean to us noobs ?? My own router supports that protocol but is there any reason to use it ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭drabisan

It would be interesting if Thomson in bridge mode will pass native ipv6 to the router behind.
    My Thomson didn't upgrade itself but I will power it off later on and hopefully it will upgrade and offer me the functionality I would love to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Just on the subject of firmware updates to the TC7200
    The initial version that was shipped on mine last May had STD6.01.08.T20, so I don't think there has been any firmware upgrade recently.
    If it was upgraded to STD6.01.10 I think we would all be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Just on the subject of firmware updates to the TC7200
    The initial version that was shipped on mine last May had STD6.01.08.T20, so I don't think there has been any firmware upgrade recently.
    If it was upgraded to STD6.01.10 I think we would all be happy

Mine is still on STD6.01.08.T20 as well,so that ruins that theory lol

Anybody still have their TC7200 running in bridge for any length of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭drabisan

Power off and power on -> TWG870U upgraded from STBA.01.50 to STBA.01.75.
    Bridge is working as expected.
    I don't receive any ipv6 address on the router.
    Maybe not in my are yet?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Anybody still have their TC7200 running in bridge for any length of time?
    Still fine here, check the attached image. I rebooted my router just after midnight to test IPv6 but the modem has been fine.

alanbk wrote: »
    I have the same UPC router. What does the IPv6 mean to us noobs ?? My own router supports that protocol but is there any reason to use it ?:D

IPv6 is the new IP address scheme to replace IPv4, because of the shortage of IPv4 addresses. It's not in common usage yet but most likely will be in future.

I just noticed I'm getting "Destination net unreachable" on ipv6.google.com now so maybe it was just a fluke?

Edit: Router reboot did the trick, IPv6 back up again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This is very interesting. I have a EPC3925 in bridge mode, but I'm not getting any IPv6 addresses, only my existing SixXS tunnel.

What size subnet are they allocating? /48, /56, or /64?

Jonathan wrote: »
    This is very interesting. I have a EPC3925 in bridge mode, but I'm not getting any IPv6 addresses, only my existing SixXS tunnel.

What size subnet are they allocating? /48, /56, or /64?

/57 is what my router says.

I disabled it and went back to my tunnel however, kept getting intermittent problems where I could no longer open Google and an attempt to ping it would return "Destination net unreachable".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

/57 is what my router says.
    128 /64 subnets should be enough for any home user. :)

To confirm, the IPv6 addresses only appeared after changing configs via SNMP, or is available to all Thomson customers?

To confirm, the IPv6 addresses only appeared after changing configs via SNMP, or is available to all Thomson customers?

I don't know for sure, I hardly had my modem 10 minutes when I bridged it! :pac: My cousin has a TC7200 and doesn't have it bridged so I can check and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Thanks very much for this guide...it worked flawlessly first time on the Thomson TC7200!

Just to get back to you as I said I would.

I was up with my cousin earlier (with a non-bridged TC7200). No IPv6 addresses being dished out.

• Advertisement

Just to get back to you as I said I would.

I was up with my cousin earlier (with a non-bridged TC7200). No IPv6 addresses being dished out.
    Thanks; that doesn't sound promising for a general IPv6 rollout any time soon then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Huge thanks to docentore - I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a solution to the poxy TC72000. I've my network back to how It was previously.

Nice one!

S.

Huge thanks to docentore - I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a solution to the poxy TC72000. I've my network back to how It was previously.

Nice one!

S.

What firmware version are you on? Is it still 6.01.08?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

STD6.01.27

I had to disconnect the coax and then reset the TC7200 to get access with MIB browser.

I then dusted off my Router and was back in business - http://www.tp-link.com/EN/products/details/?model=TL-WDR4300

TL-WDR4300-1.jpg

S.

I decided to reboot my TC7200 because I figured I'd have to do it anyway at some stage. It updated to 6.01.27 and bridge mode still works. So if you have it bridged already then you've nothing to worry about! :)

I did notice a few changes, the Wi-Fi LED doesn't light up anymore when the Wi-Fi is disabled, which is how it should be! Also, the Advanced and Parental Control tabs are missing (these would normally fail if clicked when the modem was in bridge mode). The 5 GHz channel selection now shows the correct 5 GHz channels rather than showing 1-13 as it did on the old firmware. So maybe 5 GHz actually works now? EDIT: It still only allows one or the other and shows the channels from the last one you used, derp

Under the MTA Status it now says "Telephony Provisioning Status: Pass With Warnings" but the phone still works anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

I confirm for tc7200 after reboot system updated to STD6.01.27. Bridge stays as is. Happy days!

Took a leap of faith tonight before the firmware on my TC7200 got updated to .27 version (and possibly closed snmp update option). Disconnected coax cable, disabled firewall, used linux snmpset command method to update oid. When tc7200 rebooted, firmware was updated to .27 version, and I had a public address on lan port.:)

Thanks to docentore for this great find...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Had to reboot my tc7200 yesterday and its updated its firmware as expected,but have not tried to bridge it yet ,

I think it can still be done if I remove the feed first though,I hope :)

wiz569 wrote: »
    Had to reboot my tc7200 yesterday and its updated its firmware as expected,but have not tried to bridge it yet ,

I think it can still be done if I remove the feed first though,I hope :)

Hopefully it can if you need/want to!

I just disconnected the feed to ensure that the firmware was not updated while I was changing the mode. I could only get connectivity to the snmp data (using any of the tools listed in the op) if i switched off the firewall first.

Did you see post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88976002&postcount=1 - the guys in Poland seem to really looking under the hood of these devices.

• Advertisement

They say the devil makes work for idle hands. Well that was me this morning. I decided to fiddle around a bit more.

Holding the reset button for 30 seconds on the TC7200 does indeed reset it back to router mode. Using the reset option in the web GUI won't reset it back to router mode. Hopefully this might encourage those who were nervous that there was no going back.

Then the nervous part began for me because I couldn't access SNMP after the reset, maybe due to the new firmware? But rebooting the modem with the cable disconnected allowed me to set the OID again.

Advertisement