Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bridging the Vodafone HG658c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gavvkk

fat-tony wrote: »
    @gavvkk - my apologies. Of course the Huawei should be transparent if it's actually in bridged mode. I ran my old eircom Netopia modem in bridged mode for years, using a Linksys router behind it and the WAN port received its IP address from the VF PPoE login. (the old VF ADSL modem/router was very unstable).
    I was thinking maybe the Huawei was not actually in bridged mode and that the LAN ports were still in router mode.

I presume, if the Huawei won't actually support bridged mode transparently for @Blinked (although you seem to have it working), then you could leave the Huawei in router mode, turn off the wi-fi and DHCP and give the Draytek a fixed IP address and let the Draytek provide the wi-fi and routing for the home devices. Actually forget that - would probably cause too many issues with NAT, bridging would be the only realistic way to go - unless the Huawei supports half-bridging?

No worries mate:). Im not sure if there is half bridge available in modem and never seen it before so not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Just about mad enough to shove the Huawei up the nearest Vodafone sales reps ass at this stage. Reset both Netgear WNDR3700 and Huawei to manufacturers default, set the Huawei to bridge (DHCP disabled, PPPoE bridged, wifi off, no changes to original lan IP address), set the Netgear to PPPoE and entered vodafone@vodafone.ie, broadband as pass. Victory, internet accessed via the Netgear via the iMac on Win 8 bootcamped.

But not. No other devices could gain access, android tab, HTC One, Vaio Duo. 10 minutes later interent access lost on the iMac. F-ing pissed off at this stage. Going to call Voda tomorrow and demand a replacement Huawei.

Before I fire it out the window can I just ask if I leave the Huawei at 192.168.1.1, set to PPPoE bridged, then disable DHCP on the Huawei and restart after leaving off for 1 minute, set the Netgear as PPPoE & DHCP on 192.168.1.2, reboot it, leaving 1 minute, then connect from Netgear Wan to Lan 1 on the Huawei I'm doing thing correctly and in the right order?

Can I also just confirm that when you select Inspect Element and set the display mode to display the WAN connection it reverts after a few minutes to make the WAN invisible again for everyone else?

Would rather go back to DSL at this stage as this POS is killing my network :(

PS: Just an edit on getting in bridge mode easily (assuming your router works). I pulled this from a thread on the Vodafone community forums. Its a direct link to Wan settings without needing to go through the Inspect Element process.

http://192.168.1.1/html/ntwkall/wan.asp

Its from this thread. https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Services-at-Home/Fibre-Broadband-Questions/td-p/103502/highlight/true/page/7

Just about mad enough to shove the Huawei up the nearest Vodafone sales reps ass at this stage. Reset both Netgear WNDR3700 and Huawei to manufacturers default, set the Huawei to bridge (DHCP disabled, PPPoE bridged, wifi off, no changes to original lan IP address), set the Netgear to PPPoE and entered vodafone@vodafone.ie, broadband as pass. Victory, internet accessed via the Netgear via the iMac on Win 8 bootcamped.

But not. No other devices could gain access, android tab, HTC One, Vaio Duo. 10 minutes later interent access lost on the iMac. F-ing pissed off at this stage. Going to call Voda tomorrow and demand a replacement Huawei.

Before I fire it out the window can I just ask if I leave the Huawei at 192.168.1.1, set to PPPoE bridged, then disable DHCP on the Huawei and restart after leaving off for 1 minute, set the Netgear as PPPoE & DHCP on 192.168.1.2, reboot it, leaving 1 minute, then connect from Netgear Wan to Lan 1 on the Huawei I'm doing thing correctly and in the right order?

Can I also just confirm that when you select Inspect Element and set the display mode to display the WAN connection it reverts after a few minutes to make the WAN invisible again for everyone else?

Would rather go back to DSL at this stage as this POS is killing my network :(

PS: Just an edit on getting in bridge mode easily (assuming your router works). I pulled this from a thread on the Vodafone community forums. Its a direct link to Wan settings without needing to go through the Inspect Element process.

http://192.168.1.1/html/ntwkall/wan.asp

Its from this thread. https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Services-at-Home/Fibre-Broadband-Questions/td-p/103502/highlight/true/page/7

i suppose it's possible that you have a "double crap" huawei modem where it let internet access for a while, but in my case I never used as PPPOE username as vodafone@vodafone.ie on other router but username is "serial+@vfiefttc.ie".

Making other changes apart from bridged mode to huawei , shouldn't matter but its best to simplify things.. Change the only setting required, confirm it and then move on to the next step, ie, the "true" router.

The Wan settings to select bridged mode will disappear if you navigate from that section in huawei or if there is a timeout due to inactivity:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sirione

i have no wan port on my belkin router, can i still bridge it with the new vodafone fibre router?

sirione wrote: »
    i have no wan port on my belkin router, can i still bridge it with the new vodafone fibre router?

Nope. What model is the Belkin?

• Advertisement

gavvkk wrote: »
    Nope. What model is the Belkin?

its a belkin F5D8636-4 V2 CHEERS:)

its a belkin F5D8636-4 V2 CHEERS:)

Only option would be to purchase a Dsl router if bridging Huawei :(

Only option would be to purchase a Dsl router if bridging Huawei :(

could i use a belkin wirelss router, connect one of the lans on the vf modem to the modem connection on the wireless router?

could i use a belkin wirelss router, connect one of the lans on the vf modem to the modem connection on the wireless router?

Only through the Wan port if that Belkin had a Wan port.

Only through the Wan port if that Belkin had a Wan port.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Hi,

I am trying to bridge the Vodafone modem with an ASUS RT-N66U router. But i am having some problems:
    1. I have managed to change the connection type to PPPoE on the Vodafone, once i do that the internet light goes red.Is that supposed to happen?
    2. I have selected PPPoE connection on the ASUS router, and have put in my username/password. But the smart wizard setup tells me it cannot detect WAN connection?

Please can some one help!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

no, when working in bridge mode the internet light will stay off and the light on ethenet lan port one will blink green. Why not ring VF and ask them to bridge the modem for you... If they say they cant ask for business support, they will know how to. That ASUS is tricky initially I have it but changed to a NETGEAR as I was used to netgear. And I cant remeber what I did with the ASUS but I did have to make a few attempts and a few reboots. Are you using LAN 1 on the VF gateway?? To wan on ASUS. Its only a thought. And reboot the VF as well but not too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

I have it plugged into the red WAN socket on the VF?

no you dont use the wan socket on the VF use port 1 and plug into wan on the ASUS. The wan on the VF is not outputting anything!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Ok, not quite on topic, but...

I've Fibre in and working the last 4 weeks or so, one thing I use are CCTV camera's, I can dial in remotely etc and everthing works well, only one issue. I used to get an e-mail on motion, but these have stopped since I switched modem from regular BB to fibre. Nothing has changed in terms of config on the DVR, so I'm guessing its the Vf fibre Router

If a Port is closed re mails, how can I open it up? If that is even the fix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Conar

Stingray wrote: »
    Ok, not quite on topic, but...

I've Fibre in and working the last 4 weeks or so, one thing I use are CCTV camera's, I can dial in remotely etc and everthing works well, only one issue. I used to get an e-mail on motion, but these have stopped since I switched modem from regular BB to fibre. Nothing has changed in terms of config on the DVR, so I'm guessing its the Vf fibre Router

If a Port is closed re mails, how can I open it up? If that is even the fix

Could be the smtp port?

Could be, but I tried this via the link

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/HG658c/SMTP.htm

But can't get past having to put in either the Remote Host or Internal Host (can't recall which, as I am not at it just now), but link just demonstrates putting in just 3 fields

I wonder is it the "interface" that is causing me the issue (like previous posts when I picked the wrong one), maybe its different for SMTP Ports

Could be, but I tried this via the link

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/HG658c/SMTP.htm

But can't get past having to put in either the Remote Host or Internal Host (can't recall which, as I am not at it just now), but link just demonstrates putting in just 3 fields

I wonder is it the "interface" that is causing me the issue (like previous posts when I picked the wrong one), maybe its different for SMTP Ports

Should always be the same interface. Only way it would change is if you moved to somewhere with no ftth and back to adsl.
    What exactly is sending mails? Is the dvr sending mails from within the house where the router resides to an external email like gmail?

EDIT......it's not something I've fiddled with but assuming you're sending mails so shouldn't really have to open ports on the router. That's for accessing the network from an external location essentially.
    Assuming you're using a standard smtp port (25) it's plausable that with vodafones New found desire to limit our access that theyre blocking that port to prevent spam. Might be worth calling support.

DVR sends the mail. Interesting thread here... but it didn't work for me. I checked Spamhaus but my IP is not listed as blocked

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84532840

I've put in these Yahoo settings and which worked on my last router

http://email.about.com/od/accessingyahoomail/f/Yahoo_Mail_SMTP_Settings.htm

DVR sends the mail. Interesting thread here... but it didn't work for me. I checked Spamhaus but my IP is not listed as blocked

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84532840

I've put in these Yahoo settings and which worked on my last router

http://email.about.com/od/accessingyahoomail/f/Yahoo_Mail_SMTP_Settings.htm

Not sure. Will try to see if I can send a mail from my pc. Will be a few days before I get a chance though.

• Advertisement

Using below link and checking from outside, Port 25 & 465 are blocked. Thats going in, not sure if Ports block going in & out

http://www.checkmyports.net/

I know how to Port Forward on the router going in, but unsure going out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I've a Y-cam that does the very same thing using standard ports.

I use Gmail as the serving client and it works fine. I use the HG658c also on VF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Using below link and checking from outside, Port 25 & 465 are blocked. Thats going in, not sure if Ports block going in & out

http://www.checkmyports.net/

I know how to Port Forward on the router going in, but unsure going out
    The router would not block outgoing ports. I think there is something wrong with your Yahoo mail setup on your camera / DVR software. Try setting up a test gmail account and use that.

The router would not block outgoing ports. I think there is something wrong with your Yahoo mail setup on your camera / DVR software. Try setting up a test gmail account and use that.

Tried Gmail yesterday and same thing not working, bare in mind it worked fine prior to new Fibre, I changed nothing on the DVR, just the router, its baffling me
    Crawler said - I've a Y-cam that does the very same thing using standard ports.

I use Gmail as the serving client and it works fine. I use the HG658c also on VF

Crawler do you Port Trigger any ports? I have Port Forwarding set up which allows access in to view, thats find, its just I'm not getting alerts on motion going out, as I had before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

@Stingray - could I tactfully (:)) suggest you start a new thread for your issue as you are not using bridging in this case and you might get more focussed help. It's just that this thread is about bridging the VF modem and using a separate router. Port forwarding issues don't enter into the equation when using bridging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Crawler do you Port Trigger any ports? I have Port Forwarding set up which allows access in to view, thats find, its just I'm not getting alerts on motion going out, as I had before[/QUOTE]

Nope...all standard defaults on modem (using Google config for POP/SMTP on the y-cam device)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

New software update for the modem and the bridging option is now available straight from the admin/admin1234 login.

what is the latest software version that I should be looking out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

swoofer wrote: »
    what is the latest software version that I should be looking out for?

V100R001C172B214

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

New software update for the modem and the bridging option is now available straight from the admin/admin1234 login.

Not for me. I would have to download it first I think, and then install it from there.

Dunno where I'd download it from though...

Advertisement