Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bridging the Vodafone HG658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gavvkk

phil nulty wrote: »
    Before I give bridged mode a go would disabling dhcp on vf router and use the dmz to the second router with dhcp on that work?

Doubt it as the VF modem would be still in "router" mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

OK I'll start by saying I'm not technical.

Ordered VF Fibre today, will have next week, but will I have an issue connecting to CCTV with Fibre? From what I've read on this thread is the best way to "Bridge" the new router to my existing "Eircom Zyxel" - where everything in terms of connections work perfectly, or will this Zyxel router not be compatitable with Fibre?

I'm just anticipating problems, and trying to get answers ahead of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

Stingray wrote: »
    OK I'll start by saying I'm not technical.

Ordered VF Fibre today, will have next week, but will I have an issue connecting to CCTV with Fibre? From what I've read on this thread is the best way to "Bridge" the new router to my existing "Eircom Zyxel" - where everything in terms of connections work perfectly, or will this Zyxel router not be compatitable with Fibre?

I'm just anticipating problems, and trying to get answers ahead of time!

I've no problems with the Vodafone router. Using port triggering and Xbox live is fine (no Nat issues) and using Dyndns to remote access for streaming video from my media center again without issue.
    I've seen no reason to require bridging the router.

Good to hear, so it just a basic Forward what ever port to the appropriate IP on the LAN and job done?

Good to hear, so it just a basic Forward what ever port to the appropriate IP on the LAN and job done?

Indeed.
    Just go to Advanced>NAT
    For forwarding ports to a single device I use port mapping to the IP address.
    I have 2 Xboxes so I use port triggering for that.

Then Advanced>DDNS for the dynamic dis which works fine on my dyndns account.

• Advertisement

Conar wrote: »
    Indeed.
    Just go to Advanced>NAT
    For forwarding ports to a single device I use port mapping to the IP address.
    I have 2 Xboxes so I use port triggering for that.

Then Advanced>DDNS for the dynamic dis which works fine on my dyndns account.

Sorry, I was wrong about using 2 Xboxes. With port triggering it allows you use 2 Xboxes one at a time, but not at once. I retested after someone mailed me for settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sirione

i had a belkin before a got vodafone fibre installed, but i cant sort my nat issues with xbox on this new modem, could i bridge this through the belkin, using the steps you have posted, had no issues with nat on the belkin, cheers

sirione wrote: »
    i had a belkin before a got vodafone fibre installed, but i cant sort my nat issues with xbox on this new modem, could i bridge this through the belkin, using the steps you have posted, had no issues with nat on the belkin, cheers

This seems to work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

sirione wrote: »
    +1 on Conar's post - no problem with xbox using port triggering on this modem/router - ensure you are using the correct interface in the dropdown - it defaults to DSL instead of VDSL

fat-tony wrote: »
    +1 on Conar's post - no problem with xbox using port triggering on this modem/router - ensure you are using the correct interface in the dropdown - it defaults to DSL instead of VDSL

thanks a lot for your help guys, nat seems to be sorted, at last!!!:)

• Advertisement

Any one offer help on Port Forwarding/Mapping?

I've entered details as per my previous Belkin router, but not able to gain a connection with the new VF Fibre Router, see attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've entered details as per my previous Belkin router, but not able to gain a connection with the new VF Fibre Router, see attached

Are you on VDSL? Because those rules are setup on the ADSL connection.

Check out my screenshot just a few posts back. You need to change the interface to match mine if you're on fibre. You have it set for an adsl connection.

Not quite sure what you mean, I've just got the VF Fibre installed this AM and replicated the Ports I had on the previous modem to the knew one (thinking it would work)

I can connect via LAN, no problem

Not quite sure what you mean, I've just got the VF Fibre installed this AM and replicated the Ports I had on the previous modem to the knew one (thinking it would work)

I can connect via LAN, no problem

Look at where you have the rule configured.
    There's a field (drop down ) which is "interface".
    You have set that field incorrectly.
    Change it to match what I have set in that field.

Bingo, thanks for the info, connected now (would never have been able to work that out without assistance)

Thanks

One final question, I used to be able to connect to the local device on the LAN, using its WAN address, but I can't now, I either have to be on 3G (and external IP address) or use the local address 192.168.1.4

What setting(s) determine this?

Bingo, thanks for the info, connected now (would never have been able to work that out without assistance)

Thanks
    That's why I mentioned the default dropdown setting in post #41 :)

One final question, I used to be able to connect to the local device on the LAN, using its WAN address, but I can't now, I either have to be on 3G (and external IP address) or use the local address 192.168.1.4

What setting(s) determine this?

If you add a line to your dns host file it should fix that.
    Just map the wan address to the local IP address.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

Thanks, but what would have changed on my PC, if the only thing I changed was the modem, IP address, both local and WAN stayed the same

• Advertisement

And update, I can now connect as before, not sure what the issue (or the fix) was, maybe re-booting was it

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Hope someone can help with this. I've just upgraded from Sky DSL to Voda Fiber. I was using a Draytek 2820n ADSL2 router with a second Wan port which is meant for cable connections. I followed the OP's guide the connected the ethernet from the Huawei to the Draytek (tried with both Wan 2 & one of the lan ports). I can't ping the Huawei when its connected to the Drayteks Wan 2 but I can ping it when connected to the ethernet port.

Even when connected to the ethernet I can't ping any sites and there is no Internet connection The Huawei is in bridge mode. I've tried setting up the Draytek as dhcp with the voda username and password from the Huawei but its not creating the pppoe session for the connection for some reason.

If I bridge the Draytek with the Huawei running dhcp I can get internet access but the Draytek is running through a patch panel to 2 Airport extremes which feed the other rooms. I have about a hundred devices (literally) set with static ips and mac address filtered so replacing with the POS Huawei will be major hassle & even without extensive testing I can feel the Huawei's performance for internal network transfers is inferior to the Draytek. Anybody any clues where to go next. Any help would be really appreciated. Vodafone said they couldn't help. :(

Hope someone can help with this. I've just upgraded from Sky DSL to Voda Fiber. I was using a Draytek 2820n ADSL2 router with a second Wan port which is meant for cable connections. I followed the OP's guide the connected the ethernet from the Huawei to the Draytek (tried with both Wan 2 & one of the lan ports). I can't ping the Huawei when its connected to the Drayteks Wan 2 but I can ping it when connected to the ethernet port.

Even when connected to the ethernet I can't ping any sites and there is no Internet connection The Huawei is in bridge mode. I've tried setting up the Draytek as dhcp with the voda username and password from the Huawei but its not creating the pppoe session for the connection for some reason.

If I bridge the Draytek with the Huawei running dhcp I can get internet access but the Draytek is running through a patch panel to 2 Airport extremes which feed the other rooms. I have about a hundred devices (literally) set with static ips and mac address filtered so replacing with the POS Huawei will be major hassle & even without extensive testing I can feel the Huawei's performance for internal network transfers is inferior to the Draytek. Anybody any clues where to go next. Any help would be really appreciated. Vodafone said they couldn't help. :(

Bridged mode worked for me. Unplug all unneeded cables when running through the setup from both modems and temporary disable Wifi on Draytek aswell.

Maybe factory reset Huawei.Then log back into Huawei. Set Bridge mode again. Unplug it from power for a minute and log back in to make sure Bridge mode(PPPOE_Bridged for PTM_Internet) setting held.

If setting held, then turn to Draytek. Just have ethernet cable running from Huawei Lan1 into Wan on Draytek. Pick that Wan interface and select PPPOE.
    Enter only the serial number of Huawei in caps followed by "@vfiefttc.ie" and the password as "broadband".

Hopefully the connection is established and then reconnect the other cables back into Draytek and enable its Wifi.. If not, power cycle both modems and check connection status.
    Sometimes, for some reason, the "unbridged" modem must be turned on first for 30 seconds or so, and then turn on bridged modem after it.

Hopefully it works!

i thought my nat was sorted but it keeps reverting back to moderate, i have used the settings in your screenshot, i have tried both mapping and triggering ports, i am using a powerline adapter, would that cause this? i didnt think so, any ideas? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

gavvkk wrote: »
    Bridged mode worked for me. Unplug all unneeded cables when running through the setup from both modems and temporary disable Wifi on Draytek aswell.

Maybe factory reset Huawei.Then log back into Huawei. Set Bridge mode again. Unplug it from power for a minute and log back in to make sure Bridge mode(PPPOE_Bridged for PTM_Internet) setting held.

If setting held, then turn to Draytek. Just have ethernet cable running from Huawei Lan1 into Wan on Draytek. Pick that Wan interface and select PPPOE.
    Enter only the serial number of Huawei in caps followed by "@vfiefttc.ie" and the password as "broadband".

Hopefully the connection is established and then reconnect the other cables back into Draytek and enable its Wifi.. If not, power cycle both modems and check connection status.
    Sometimes, for some reason, the "unbridged" modem must be turned on first for 30 seconds or so, and then turn on bridged modem after it.

Hopefully it works!

Thanks for the reply and info. Unfortunately I'm still not able to get it to work in the Draytek Wan 2 port the connection for the lan cable shows as Line Disconnected. I also tried with with a Netgear N300 (WNDR3700 v1) connected from Lan 1 on the Huawei to the N300's Wan port, set the N300 for DHCP and connection type via PPPoE with vodafone@vodafone.ie and broadband as pass (also tried with the serial@vodafone.ie). I still cant ping the Huawei in bridged mode or ping external sites, no internet access.

When I connect wirelessly to the Huawei its shows DHCP disabled, Bridged PPPoE so it would appear to have taken the order to bridge.

When I was using the Draytek as DHCP on the old DSL connection I had it set to 10.0.0.1 and everything was static ip mapped and mac address filtered up from that IP so I set the Huawe to 10.0.0.180 and also tried it on 10.0.0.85. No change, no access. Any ideas.

Seriously considering firing it back at Voda and canceling the contract. I was told if I was a business customer they would bridge the Huawei for me but as I'm residential they won't. Crap service. The 70mb line might be faster than my former 20mb DSL but if the router is going to fall over more times than me on a night out whats the point.

Thanks for the reply and info. Unfortunately I'm still not able to get it to work in the Draytek Wan 2 port the connection for the lan cable shows as Line Disconnected. I also tried with with a Netgear N300 (WNDR3700 v1) connected from Lan 1 on the Huawei to the N300's Wan port, set the N300 for DHCP and connection type via PPPoE with vodafone@vodafone.ie and broadband as pass (also tried with the serial@vodafone.ie). I still cant ping the Huawei in bridged mode or ping external sites, no internet access.

When I connect wirelessly to the Huawei its shows DHCP disabled, Bridged PPPoE so it would appear to have taken the order to bridge.

When I was using the Draytek as DHCP on the old DSL connection I had it set to 10.0.0.1 and everything was static ip mapped and mac address filtered up from that IP so I set the Huawe to 10.0.0.180 and also tried it on 10.0.0.85. No change, no access. Any ideas.

Seriously considering firing it back at Voda and canceling the contract. I was told if I was a business customer they would bridge the Huawei for me but as I'm residential they won't. Crap service. The 70mb line might be faster than my former 20mb DSL but if the router is going to fall over more times than me on a night out whats the point.

I presume you used "yourserialnumber@vfiefttc.ie" under PPPOE not @vodafone.ie ?

Once a modem is set to bridged, all other aspects of that modem do not apply like DHCP being enabled or disabled or what ip address range it is set to. Its solely just a "passthrough" for the adsl/vdsl stream to the next device in line that is acting as the router.

Since you have another router (Netgear) to mess around with, and I presume there is nothing of importance configured in Netgear, Hard Reset(not "soft" reset)both Huawei and Netgear and try again. Just set bridge mode in huawei and dont change anything else, and then try PPPOE in Netgear.

That locked down Huawei modem infuriated me and it took me a few attempts to get all working as I originally must have screwed something up!
    Not saying it's the same for you but no harm to run over things again:)

@Blinked - just a thought which occurred to me. You say that you have DHCP turned off on the Huawei. What IP address are you giving the WAN port on the Draytek router? It will have to be in the Huawei's IP range - 192.168.1.*
    The Huawei's default configuration IP address is 192.168.1.1 (for management of the router) and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 , so unless you have changed the default configuration any ethernet connected device will have to have to be in the range 192.168.1.2-254
    Obviously, the LAN ports on the Draytek can be in whatever range that suits your needs, but the WAN port needs to be in the Huawei range.

fat-tony wrote: »
    @Blinked - just a thought which occurred to me. You say that you have DHCP turned off on the Huawei. What IP address are you giving the WAN port on the Draytek router? It will have to be in the Huawei's IP range - 192.168.1.*
    The Huawei's default configuration IP address is 192.168.1.1 (for management of the router) and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 , so unless you have changed the default configuration any ethernet connected device will have to have to be in the range 192.168.1.2-254
    Obviously, the LAN ports on the Draytek can be in whatever range that suits your needs, but the WAN port needs to be in the Huawei range.

You dont give the WAN port an IP Address unless you have a static IP Address from you ISP provider (the internet side IP Address, not internal IP addressess). That WAN IP setting is left to dynamic as ISP will assign a free WAN IP address, and every 24hrs or so with Vodafone, they assign a new dynamic WAN IP address to "home" users regardless if there is data activity on the home modem/router.

Also, as I said above, when a device is in bridged mode, it is only acting as data "passthrough" from A to B. Its networking sections(Dhcp, Nat, Ip address range etc..) are not in use:)

@gavvkk - my apologies. Of course the Huawei should be transparent if it's actually in bridged mode. I ran my old eircom Netopia modem in bridged mode for years, using a Linksys router behind it and the WAN port received its IP address from the VF PPoE login. (the old VF ADSL modem/router was very unstable).
    I was thinking maybe the Huawei was not actually in bridged mode and that the LAN ports were still in router mode.

I presume, if the Huawei won't actually support bridged mode transparently for @Blinked (although you seem to have it working), then you could leave the Huawei in router mode, turn off the wi-fi and DHCP and give the Draytek a fixed IP address and let the Draytek provide the wi-fi and routing for the home devices. Actually forget that - would probably cause too many issues with NAT, bridging would be the only realistic way to go - unless the Huawei supports half-bridging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

theShire wrote: »
    if you look at the source for the Accounts under Maintenance there's a list of the available users on the device:

var UserInfo = new Array(
    new stUserInfo("InternetGatewayDevice.UserInterface.X_Web.UserInfo.1","admin"),
    new stUserInfo("InternetGatewayDevice.UserInterface.X_Web.UserInfo.2","vodafone"),
    new stUserInfo("InternetGatewayDevice.UserInterface.X_Web.UserInfo.3","support"),
    new stUserInfo("InternetGatewayDevice.UserInterface.X_Web.UserInfo.4","superuser"),null);

It would be interesting to see if the superuser password could be found

Did you ever find the password for superuser? I asked a tech support guy on the phone and even the admin/admin1234 was news to him. Said it was a new router and they hadn't really got full training on it yet (that was last week so they're obviously a bit behind with their training). He said he'd try to find out for me though. I'll give him a ring back when I next think of it - too late today.

Advertisement