Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing NCI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Most common courses , but do courses mix is what I want to know

Well Business and Computing doesn't mix as far as I know, but there are courses that mix, so BSHC course will mix with HCC for some classes for example, and I noticed HCC has A LOT more girls in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

arleitiss wrote: »
    Well Business and Computing doesn't mix as far as I know, but there are courses that mix, so BSHC course will mix with HCC for some classes for example, and I noticed HCC has A LOT more girls in it.

Hcc ?? That the computing cert course ?? I know some courses wont mix timetable wise but generally to people mix with others outside their course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

HCC is a higher cert in computing. The three courses BSHC, BSHBIS and HCC are all mixed together at night and do the exact same modules until 3rd year so probably the same during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Synode wrote: »
    HCC is a higher cert in computing. The three courses BSHC, BSHBIS and HCC are all mixed together at night and do the exact same modules until 3rd year so probably the same during the day

I was in 1st and 2nd year of BSHC, and yes we all mixed during day too. Now moving to Year 3 happily with no fails :P

arleitiss wrote: »
    I was in 1st and 2nd year of BSHC, and yes we all mixed during day too. Now moving to Year 3 happily with no fails :P

Cheers for the info lads , got 370 so I should get in comfortably

• Advertisement

got it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

got it
    Got in myself as well. Interesting to see it drop by 50 points. 320 last year to 270 this year.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Got in myself as well. Interesting to see it drop by 50 points. 320 last year to 270 this year.

yeah very large drop, most courses in the college dropped, means i cleared the points by 100

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

See yous there in september :)

oorrccaa wrote: »
    See yous there in september :)

Nci won't know what's hit it haha

• Advertisement

yeah very large drop, most courses in the college dropped, means i cleared the points by 100
    Aye last year the bonus points pushed the points big time! Looking forward to seeing you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Me three. See yous there, I was worried that it would take a sharp rise again over my 340 points. 50 point drop was surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone doing the Higher Cert in Computing and then going on to do the degree (part time)?

Think I'll be doing this as it's exactly the same syllabus as the degree but you get a cert at the end, then just go on and do the last 2 years for the degree :)

Aye last year the bonus points pushed the points big time! Looking forward to seeing you there.

Yeah cya there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

50 point drop was mental, particularly for a computing course because they still rose everywhere else.

Looks like I'll be starting in September too, anyone know if the class is still gonna be around 60 or have they increased it? That might be part of the reason it's dropped.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    50 point drop was mental, particularly for a computing course because they still rose everywhere else.

Looks like I'll be starting in September too, anyone know if the class is still gonna be around 60 or have they increased it? That might be part of the reason it's dropped.
    The drop has to be an increase , see you in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

According to admissions there's going to be 2 classes this year, hence the points drop.

I think orientation is the 2nd or 3rd of September.

• I think they're doing 2 computing classes this year that's why the drop in points.

So if there was only one class it probably would have remained the same , at least there is good demand for it . Looking forward to it now , so orientation is either 2nd or 3rd and in one day of either wed , thur , fri

• So if there was only one class it probably would have remained the same , at least there is good demand for it . Looking forward to it now , so orientation is either 2nd or 3rd and in one day of either wed , thur , fri

I think its both days but you might only need to attend one of the two days. But I don't think we 'Actually' start till the 9th http://www.ncirl.ie/NewsEvents/AcademicCalendar.aspx

• Advertisement

• Does anyone know if we need a laptop for the course? I know they have computers and the computers are adequate but id rather work from my laptop as I'm pretty used to that already.

Thanks,

Ariella Plain Earache

I think its both days but you might only need to attend one of the two days. But I don't think we 'Actually' start till the 9th http://www.ncirl.ie/NewsEvents/AcademicCalendar.aspx

They said on their fb page that depending on your course you will be in either 2nd or 3rd and 1 other day that week

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Ya In doing this course too the BSc hons in computing, can't wait to start now, I rang them last day they said registration is on the Tuesday 3rd, woman in admissions said its 8.45 on tuesday. has any one received any specific emails or post about it yet? I wouldn't have known that if I didn't ring them.

Person I was talking too also said something about we would have to attend on the Friday before starting proper on following Monday

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Ya In doing this course too the BSc hons in computing, can't wait to start now, I rang them last day they said registration is on the Tuesday 3rd, woman in admissions said its 8.45 on tuesday. has any one received any specific emails or post about it yet? I wouldn't have known that if I didn't ring them.

Person I was talking too also said something about we would have to attend on the Friday before starting proper on following Monday

On Facebook they said info packs were being sent out , and that orientation would be either Monday 2nd or Tuesday 3rd depending on your course , and then depending on your course you will be in one day of either wed , thur or Friday . So what you were told sounds right

Does anyone know if we need a laptop for the course? I know they have computers and the computers are adequate but id rather work from my laptop as I'm pretty used to that already.

Thanks,

Ariella Plain Earache
    I reckon you could bring in your own laptop and I'm sure they won't mind as long as you are comfortable. You possibily might need decent specs depending on what we'll be doing but I'm just guessing :P

I reckon you could bring in your own laptop and I'm sure they won't mind as long as you are comfortable. You possibily might need decent specs depending on what we'll be doing but I'm just guessing :P

For first year I'd say a decent laptop be fine , first year isn't too hard or in depth appearently, il be using a Sony vaio with intel i5

For first year I'd say a decent laptop be fine , first year isn't too hard or in depth appearently, il be using a Sony vaio with intel i5
    Aye, the first module seems to be a bit of maths which isn't rock hard like the leaving cert so we'll be fine.

Aye, the first module seems to be a bit of maths which isn't rock hard like the leaving cert so we'll be fine.

Few difficult bits but just think back to lc maths , I did ol thought I'd fail and got a c3 so I mustn't be that bad at it

Few difficult bits but just think back to lc maths , I did ol thought I'd fail and got a c3 so I mustn't be that bad at it
    I was in the same boat as well and got a C1, so hurray for Project Maths :P There is a maths area in the college that help students who struggle with maths so plenty of support around which is awesome.

• Advertisement

• LostBoy101 wrote: »

Yeah just got a new laptop for college: http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-17r-se-7720/pd?oc=cn17s06&model_id=inspiron-17r-se-7720

It should do =P

Advertisement