Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pack of 4 static IPs

Options
  • 27-01-2015 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

The last time we changed our broadband provider we asked for and were given a 'pack' of 4 static IPs addresses, 2 useable. Our IT providers assigned one to the modem and 1 to the firewall.

Looking around at other providers Eircom, Imagine, Digiweb they all seem to now only offer NATed static IPs i.e. 8 static IPs, 2 useable but these all are NATed to your one real static IP.

As I understand it these are no good for VPNs as although traffic can be routed into our one static IP vis the 6 useable the response packets can't be properly routed back over the one IP to the intermediary 6 IPs and back to the source.

Does anyone know if Eircom still allocates these packs of 4 or have they stopped that and replaced it with this new practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You got a /30. You can purchase a /29 with 6 usable or a /28 with 14 usable from eircom or others.

Set the firewall to do PPPoE and it can sub allocate the remianing addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

But these are NATed to one static IP. Not sure if it's the same with Eircom but from the Digiweb experience when you plug in the modem it pulls down that one static IP and that is not in the same range as the 8 'static' IPs they provide you, or at least it wasnt with Digiweb ie the one static was 90.x.x.x and the 8 'static' addresses were 75.x.x.x

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its been a while since I've seen an eircom setup with more than a /32 (1 address) but the last one was a continuous block.

Theres only one PPPoE connection (maybe you can do simultaneous ones, but I dont think thats normal), but enterprise firewalls should allow multiple wan addressing. So, say for example you get:

The PPPoE session leases 86.0.0.1 from the BRAS and the ISPs network routes all IPs within the allocation youve rented towards it. Then at the firewall level you say 1 to 1 NAT 86.0.0.2 to interface x and 86.0.0.3 to interface Y and then the devices on X and Y for routed as if they were "directly" on the net themselves.

At least thats my understanding, I'm sure one of the Sysadmins from Servers and Systems can jump in and verify/clarify.

Advertisement