Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing NCI

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Alice___5 wrote: »
    What did you think of it? :)

It was grand, bit nervous at the start about talking to people but met my best friend from primary school and a good friend from secondary school and got chating to a few people through then.

There was nothing to it really, orientation I think we'll get to know people better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Alice___5

It was grand, bit nervous at the start about talking to people but met my best friend from primary school and a good friend from secondary school and got chating to a few people through then.

There was nothing to it really, orientation I think we'll get to know people better.

Yeah I was really nervous going in aswell because I didn't know anyone but I got talking to someone in one of the business courses and a few people from Dit strangely enough so it wasn't too bad :) yeah orientation hopefully people will mingle a bit more . I think they've put up a few details on the students union facebook page about freshers week aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Yea freshers ball is on the the 22nd.
    I think I might go, are you ?

Yea freshers ball is on the the 22nd.
    I think I might go, are you ?

Yep I'm definitely going, should be a bit of craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Orientation will be much better and you will be assigned a Peer Mentor on the day with a group of 10 people. So there is plenty of opportunities to meet new people there and when you start your lectures it will become much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aurelius121

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if someone may be able to clarify a few things.

I was wondering what the BSc (Honours) in Computing Part-time is like. For example is there much difference between the content in this course and the full-time course. The reason I ask is that I have seen the full-time timetable in this thread and it was 20hrs/wk whereas the weekly times for the part-time course are listed as being 16hrs/wk.

Also, I was wondering if this is a rigorous course i.e. will you be proficient in algorithms and algorithmic design. Is the math also rigorous; this being something that I am looking for in a computing course.

I was also wondering what computer lanuages they focus on in this course.

And finally, if anyone went the route of gaming and Multimedia in stage 4 how was it. Where you taught any specific games engines such as Unreal Engine or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if someone may be able to clarify a few things.

I was wondering what the BSc (Honours) in Computing Part-time is like. For example is there much difference between the content in this course and the full-time course. The reason I ask is that I have seen the full-time timetable in this thread and it was 20hrs/wk whereas the weekly times for the part-time course are listed as being 16hrs/wk.

No difference between the content. Part time is basically full time condensed.
    Also, I was wondering if this is a rigorous course i.e. will you be proficient in algorithms and algorithmic design. Is the math also rigorous; this being something that I am looking for in a computing course.

I found the software element of the course good. Year two and three are really the ones that concentrate more on the concepts of software engineering practice and common algorithms. The math in year one is basic, but it's good in that it sets you up for better understanding programming concepts later on i.e. truth tables etc. After that there's very little in terms of math, it's a more general course not math or programming specific.
    I was also wondering what computer lanuages they focus on in this course.

Mainly Java. Some others are touched on later on.
    And finally, if anyone went the route of gaming and Multimedia in stage 4 how was it. Where you taught any specific games engines such as Unreal Engine or others.

For part time you'll be lucky to get gaming. It's based on how many students choose it and if there's enough to run the course. This years one only had the option of Software Development as there wasn't enough students to justify any of the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aurelius121

Thank you Elessar for your reply. Your information has given me something to think about, much appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Jimjones55

How has everyone who has passed through this thread got on in their lives.

I started in 2014, and I'm finishing in May. Semester 1 of 4 year was the hardest thing I've ever done. 1st, 2nd and 3rd year were a doddle (looking back, not at the time).

I hope to get a job in a digital agency/consultancy after college. What's everyone else up to?

Jimjones55 wrote: »
    How has everyone who has passed through this thread got on in their lives.

I started in 2014, and I'm finishing in May. Semester 1 of 4 year was the hardest thing I've ever done. 1st, 2nd and 3rd year were a doddle (looking back, not at the time).

I hope to get a job in a digital agency/consultancy after college. What's everyone else up to?

Still in the course. Are you part-time or full-time? Wondering if I know you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement