Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just finished Etrian Odyssey tonight. Absolutely wonderful game, one of the best I've played in a long time. I'll see about exploring the extra secret stratum but if it becomes too much I might retire my guild for Etrian Odyssey 2 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Finally, finally got round to wrapping up FF6. Started FF5 and then it's onto FF9 I think. Job system is really good, save for the fact most of the spell's effects aren't explained.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wait until you start breaking the game with crazy job combinations. That's when FFV becomes awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Playing Vagrant Story on the PSP. It's a fantastic game but I wish there's a remake that gives me:
    - faster saving and storage chest access
    - better weapon swap system since this is quite important
    - higher resolution

Other than that, it's one of the best jrpg ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Playing Vagrant Story on the PSP. It's a fantastic game but I wish there's a remake that gives me:
    - faster saving and storage chest access
    - better weapon swap system since this is quite important
    - higher resolution

Other than that, it's one of the best jrpg ever made.
    Definitely on my list for a HD makeover. Great graphical style regardless but a few niggles like you say that could do with ironing out.

• Advertisement

The battle system needed to be refined an awful lot and creating weapons while good is very complicated. There's other weird things as well wrong with the game. I still love it though and like everything Mitsuno the story is fantastic. It also has far and away Hitoshi Sakimoto's best soundtrack. I still think the game looks gorgeous, the art style translated very well to game graphics.

Myself, I'm still plugging away at Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star 4. Phantasy Star 4 just keeps getting better and better. It's gotten quite emotional and very interesting. I read that Reiko Kodama took a lot from Final Fantasy IV and it shows, the game is brilliantly paced and doesn't have the high difficulty and maze like dungeon problems of PS2 and PS3 to a much lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Currently playing Crisis Core. I played on hard mode and I was enjoying it, but i'm at what I think is the final area now, and the difficulty has caught up with me. It's quite a flawed game with many of its mechanics but they never really annoyed me until now so I don't know if i'll have the will to actually finish it.

So instead of finishing it I started Final Fantasy Tactics which seems promising.

The last boss is a big difficulty spike. Do some side missions, they are short and will level you up fast. Found the game kind of poor and confusing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I've noticed a good few spikes for the last few bosses, so I expected the last boss to be even more difficult but I'm having trouble in the area anyway. I was trying to play the game without looking at walkthroughs or anything but now glancing at the amount of things that there is to get from the side missions, it seems I probably should do them to break hp limit etc. But they are terribly tedious...

I'd probably like it more if I had played on normal, it's a game I don't find anything other than the main story part enjoyable so now having to catch up with the missions is pretty damn annoying.

Getting near the end of Chrono Trigger on the DS. I wanted to play it again because I remember very little of it. Turns out it was only because I thought it was much longer, it's only about 20-25 hours long. I didn't think that it would live to my memories but it more than has. It's still a gorgeous looking game, the soundtrack is one of the best from Uematsu and the story is surprisingly clever. Without a doubt the best RPG on the SNES that isn't called Earthbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

I can't get into Chrono Trigger. I think I just don't like the sprite style. I should probably give it a second chance sometime though. Uematsu only did like 2-3 tracks btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Got back into Wild Arms 2 on my phone. Was watching Trigun and got me into the mood. The official translation is bad. But I like my western themed jrpg.

Everyone with a 3DS needs to get Crimson Shroud, especially Matsuno fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Everyone with a 3DS needs to get Crimson Shroud, especially Matsuno fans.

Is it that good? Was considering downloading it tonight.

Other than a poorly thought out section where you have to get a random drop it's superb. It's a great little 8 hour RPG with no filler.

So I started playing two PSP games because they are the only two I have left on my European account and want to switch over to my american account on my Vita. First is Riviera, a Sting RPG which means it's a bit weird and experimental. Riviera isn't too bad in this regard. Seems like a fun mix of visual novel and RPG with an interesting story even if the voice acting sucks.

Next is Final Fantasy 2. This is by far and away the worst mainline FF game and is barely playable on the NES. Not Legend of Dragoon bad but close. However Square managed the impossible and actually made this game work for the PSP release. In fact I'm enjoying it quite a bit other than some parts I had to look up a faq to progress the story because I over looked a small detail. Definitely worth picking up and playing. The levelling system is still messed up and nonsense but at least it doesn't require lots of grinding and you can't level down stats anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Currently playing Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits on PS2, after couple of years of hankering to finish it. I set the PS2 back up and I must say as RPGs go, the dual sotrylines and plot in general is just 10/10. Some of the characters are just exceptional. Voice acting as it goes is getting a little bit annoying, but nothing the mute button and a pair of glasses won't solve. Battle system is a little gem as well; after being use to he ATB stuff from FF it's nice to get a bit more inventive and actually plan most of the fights.

So yeah pretty happy with returning to the JRPGs. After that it'll probably be FFVIII (the one from the series I absolutely hated strangely enough)

Ash885 wrote: »
    So yeah pretty happy with returning to the JRPGs. After that it'll probably be FFVIII (the one from the series I absolutely hated strangely enough)

If you want to enjoy that game you have to know how it works. If you are constantly using summons you will get bored and it's the wrong way to play it. If you draw enough magic and junction it to your stats you will become an absolute beast and will hardly ever use summon attacks. Also GF abilities can really increase your stats. Don't let the game automatically learn GF abilities for you. Concentrate on nothing but the stat% bonuses because after they are learned you get stat +1 abilities meaning every time you level up you get a permanent +1 to that stat.

FFVIII has an extremely broken battle system and breaking it wide open is the fun part.

From memory I didn't rely too much on GFs, but solely on attacks and drawing magic to cast on the monsters. Tbh the drawing system was something I detested as any good magic such as Ultima etc. I got my hands on, if ever I used it (and stupidly on some battles I did), HP etc. would just plummit! So I guess you're right, just test and try different things and see if I can make a good go of it.

There wasn't any quirky characters either, it just seemed to be very angsty. Not much light humour. However the concept of the plot was good; I just thought it landed heavy on some of the characters.

I liked the GF lvling system. I can't really remember the specifics of it though sadly. The only thing tbh I remember fondly of the game is TT; which I may add could have been a game in itself and I'd have been happy! :P I suppose the game defeated me. But alas, I will get onto it soon enough!

Don't expect to get too involved in the story, it's absolutely terrible with some hilariously bad moments. The fun in the game is breaking it wide open.

• Advertisement

Beat Chrono Trigger on the DS last night. It's still one of the greatest games ever made.

I've heard a lot about Chrono Trigger but never played it. I must do a little googling now!

Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones is a harsh mistress but it's all of my own doing. Trying to create a perfect team which means recruiting certain weak characters who later become stat monsters. The only problem is keeping them alive!

Some of the levels make it very hard for a perfectionist run seeing me struggle to visit all the optional villages, recruit the certain character by getting another specific character to talk to them AND keeping everyone alive!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Over halfway through Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. It's similar to Final Fantasy Tactics though a lot easier. Story's not as good but it's a good game.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing trails in the sky on vita,great game.I've a back catalogue of rpg games as long as my arm too get through :-|.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Playing trails in the sky on vita,great game.I've a back catalogue of rpg games as long as my arm too get through :-|.

Really tempted by that, have it and Persona 3 Portable sitting in my PSN cart waiting for me to crack and purchase before the sale ends tomorrow :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just saw that Jeanne D'Arc is now reduced on the US PSN to 15, and Yggdra Union is down to 5......but I likes having money. Sony....stop!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Really tempted by that, have it and Persona 3 Portable sitting in my PSN cart waiting for me to crack and purchase before the sale ends tomorrow :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just saw that Jeanne D'Arc is now reduced on the US PSN to 15, and Yggdra Union is down to 5......but I likes having money. Sony....stop!

NOOOOOOOOOOO *HIDES O2 CARD*

Have started Persona 3 Portable on the Vita. Has some nice ideas which didn't make it into P4 for some reason. The greater ease at which you can slip in and out of the dungeon makes things easier for a start. Then the 3 types of physical attacks makes combat much more varied. Also splitting up in the dungeon is another nice touch.

The story, characters and setting aren't anywhere near the heights reached by P4 but it might have the edge in the dungeon(s) (Even if there is only 1!). Time will tell.

I started SMT Strange Journey last night. SMT in the Etrian Odyssey engine, what is there not ot like! So far it's absolutely fantastic!

• Advertisement

I got past the first boss in Strange Journey. It wasn't the usual SMT baptism of fire thank god. I'm really enjoying the game it seems a lot more accessible than the Etrian Odyssey series.

Advertisement