Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Louis Theroux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Skyfarm wrote: »
    If you have never seen the doc he made on the American health system, it is amazing for the human storeys alone,the guy with cancer made my jaw drop,it made me realise what a great broken system we have.

some people believe, america in particular, doesn't have a health care system but a sickness system! id have to agree with them and we re heading in a similar direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Great episode on acquired brain injury on now.

Amazing doc, well put together and respectful. I particularly like the way he managed to get some insight into the personal and (non existent) physical relationship of the married couple and the idea that perhaps the woman was actually a different person and not really his wife any more. Really sad for that family and the kids in particular.

Additionally, it did show how amazing much of the NHS is, the woman staying with her husband had a 24 x 7 carer - not like the cases in Ireland where women in their 70s have been left caring for their loved ones and have to fight for a couple of hours community care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Watching the alcohol dependence one now.
    Quite depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

This was one of the most compelling ones, a real human interest piece.

He really connected in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Quite depressing

I think I said it earlier on this thread but that alcoholic doc was like a horror film, could identify similar characteristics in a few people I knew.

When they drained the fluid from that guys belly and Louis smelled it and commented that there was a head on it..........dunno if I wanted to puke or laugh!

That's the difference between these type of docs and his recent doc/film on Scientology. His best work is when he gets to immerse himself with the subjects of his docs, walk a mile in there shoes so to speak.

You cant do that with Scientology. Try and walk a mile in their shoes and they will sue you all the while filming it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Quite depressing

I hope he comes back in 10 years and re-interviews those people.

It was just a snapshot of a very complex problem that has amazing longevity - sometimes people go on for decades progressively getting worse - or indeed, improving then dis-improving etc...

It would be good to see some of them actually beat their demons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah I was totally immersed in the alcohol dependence show last night. Really hoping the young guy can pull through with his life now. Felt like Louis was very attached to him from the moment he visited his home and saw all the pictures from only a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Watched his Scientology one a couple of nights ago, honestly felt its one of his weakest documentaries. Maybe its just because I have seen others on the subject and read up a lot myself but there was nothing new in it for me, Going Clear was much better I thought and he didn't really seem to achieve, anything with it, never felt like it got going for me at all, or maybe went anywhere is more what I mean. Shame as I am big fan of his.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Agreed. I can't believe this is an actual movie. I certainly would not want to have paid €10 to see it in the cinema - more suited to tv really.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I love most Louis docs but have to agree was really let down by the scientology movie. Going clear is such a superior doc (even better book) on the subject.

Really wished he properly called out that fella marty rathbun for being a bit of a psycho too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

HoggyRS wrote: »
    I love most Louis docs but have to agree was really let down by the scientology movie. Going clear is such a superior doc (even better book) on the subject.

Really wished he properly called out that fella marty rathbun for being a bit of a psycho too

I have to agree with all of the above. I dont think I have ever been disappointed by a Louis Theroux documentary before, but this was a complete mess.

The whole premise of making a movie was an unnecessary and uninteresting distraction and seemed to be used as bulk to carry the whole thing.

He didnt even really cover the basics of the religion very well. From looking at it now and to what I remember from the Going Clear documentary Marty Ratburn seems alot more unstable and agressive.
    Perhaps he spent many more hours with the makers of the Going Clear doc, and was in a better personal head space. He obviously didnt like Louis' direct form of question asking when he was in a perceived vulnerable position (unless of course Louis thought that vulnerability was feigned to avoid being pressed on certain subjects)

Anyway I felt the whole thing was a complete waste of time and considering he has quite a successful formula for documentaries, its very unusual for him to turn out such a turkey (especially with all the fanfare of an actual movie release?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Louis Theroux's latest work, Dark States - Heroin Town, will air next Sunday night on BBC2.

Really looking forward to this as well as two other's (Murder in Milwaukee and Sex Trafficking Houston) in the series to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well I have to say that’s some of Louis strongest work in a long time. A throwback to his early days really.

Utterly depressing but compelling viewing, I thought Louis handled the interviews brilliantly for the most part.

I also thought it was important to have the guy who was as happy as anything on heroin to show that not everyone wants to get off it and feels trapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

It would be interesting to follow those guys stories. You’d have to wonder is there any hope for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

adox wrote: »
    Well I have to say that’s some of Louis strongest work in a long time. A throwback to his early days really.

Utterly depressing but compelling viewing, I thought Louis handled the interviews brilliantly for the most part.

I also thought it was important to have the guy who was as happy as anything on heroin to show that not everyone wants to get off it and feels trapped.

Did you watch it to the end? He pretty much admitted that his happy-go-lucky attitude was a shield to block away all the pain he feels. There's absolutely no way someone could be happy taking drugs and living in a tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Always look forward to Louis Theroux documentaries. Sad to see so many lives ruined by an awful thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Did you watch it to the end? He pretty much admitted that his happy-go-lucky attitude was a shield to block away all the pain he feels. There's absolutely no way someone could be happy taking drugs and living in a tent.

Yeah, a perfect, complete heroin barrier, the guy's a likable stoner with a dark side. Shagging the cute girl in the tent that's there not for love or thrills, but for a fix. He has a young boy that he never gets to see, but none of it hurts if he keeps high. Maintaining a zero empathy that only heroin can support.

Theroux is just the best for this type of thing. He's brilliant at asking the worst/best questions while keeping a natural, friendly rapport with his subjects.

His fathers books are excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A sad watch. That town really is in serious trouble

Yet again another programme that makes you wonder why someone ever starts taking drugs?

Does any drug addict anywhere ever think before their first ever hit, "I honestly know this is going to improve my life".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Watched this with an extra degree of interest given that I'd recently watched Heroin(e) on Netflix and that follows the woman who became the Fire Chief in Huntingdon and who appeared at regular intervals, resuscitating OD cases tonight.

The characters tonight were all quite likeable which made it more impactful and poignant.

Louis again proving to be ideal to allow these people to tell their stories

Yeah I watched it until the end and heard him talk about it but I also heard him talk candidly about being content with his addiction and feeling great most of the time when high, which I thought gave a bit of balance to those who clearly wanted to get off it but were trapped.
    Reminded me a bit of another programme he did with a married couple who had both been addicts for decades and still functioned, had a House and their relationship and were content with their lifestyle for the most part.

Although I believed him at the end about the pain from the accident etc , I thought the earlier interview gave more of a glimpse into his mindset and added a bit of variance from the “I want to get clean...” sort of stereotype.

Look I’m trying to underplay his addiction or his predicament and lifestyle(I’ve only seen a few minutes of him being interviewed) but I thought it added a bit of shade to the black and white norm.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    A sad watch. That town really is in serious trouble

Yet again another programme that makes you wonder why someone ever starts taking drugs?

Does any drug addict anywhere ever think before their first ever hit, "I honestly know this is going to improve my life".

Well the vast majority of those interviewed were prescribed and addicted to legal painkillers etc, which was a big narrative of the whole story.

Also I would guess that most drug addicts start on the slippery slope at a very young age when you really aren’t going to think beyond the short term, when you feel you are invincible and of course won’t become addicted or have any understanding of what that will entail.

Sure look at our country. Self medicating which alcohol and a huge addiction problem with it. The programme could be seen as a metaphor for our own predicament here in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Considering the war on drugs is well lost by now, I wondered about the fight to revive those who have overdosed, many lying in back lanes.

That example we seen, there was about 8 highly paid professionals around that guy. It's costing a fortune to be a source of help to those who are likely never to be anything but a drain on society.

Guys like that are being saved to OD again.

Maybe time to let natural selection takes its course?

Too harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Of all the shocking scenes in the episode the girl leaving the tent was the one for me. As the guy said wait till you see her in a few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very sad episode tonight, so much human misery in an hour of television. I'm not sure what was harder to watch - Nikki who was misreable and trapped, or the 18 year old who potentially has a whole life ahead of her, signed herself out of treatment with the counsellor saying she didn't want her to die. The guy in prison was a nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I thought the most recent episode was great. I had no idea that the women typically give all their money to their pimp, it blew my mind. But you start to understand how that happens and why they would take that deal when you hear some of their stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I thought the most recent episode was great. I had no idea that the women typically give all their money to their pimp, it blew my mind. But you start to understand how that happens and why they would take that deal when you hear some of their stories.

You see that one woman, Nikki, was saying how she loves her job, and her pimp has given her life a sense of focus and direction, but she's saying all this with a kind of joyless dead-eyed expression on her face. She loves her pimp, but she's also panicking, having a mini-breakdown when she realises she's lost the previous night's earnings because she knows that will earn her a beating.

Crazy stuff.

Perhaps Louis is repeating himself a bit, though. He's previously done a show on prostitution, albeit legal prostitution. He's also already done one on a drugs-ravaged town in The City Addicted to Crystal Meth. I wouldn't mind, but he said on a podcast that he doesn't like to get too lost in his own ouevre. Different sides to a different issue in the case of prostitution, perhaps, but very similar in the drugs ones.

And I do miss the old Louis sometimes - the somewhat more lighthearted subject matters and approach. Although I very much enjoy all his documentaries, maybe it would be a good idea to go with a lighter subject once in a while before he turns into Nick Broomfield, who's also a great film-maker, but quite serious in affect, and I feel it hurts his ability to form a rapport somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

briany wrote: »
    You see that one woman, Nikki, was saying how she loves her job, and her pimp has given her life a sense of focus and direction, but she's saying all this with a kind of joyless dead-eyed expression on her face. She loves her pimp, but she's also panicking, having a mini-breakdown when she realises she's lost the previous night's earnings because she knows that will earn her a beating.

Crazy stuff.

Perhaps Louis is repeating himself a bit, though. He's previously done a show on prostitution, albeit legal prostitution. He's also already done one on a drugs-ravaged town in The City Addicted to Crystal Meth. I wouldn't mind, but he said on a podcast that he doesn't like to get too lost in his own ouevre. Different sides to a different issue in the case of prostitution, perhaps, but very similar in the drugs ones.

And I do miss the old Louis sometimes - the somewhat more lighthearted subject matters and approach. Although I very much enjoy all his documentaries, maybe it would be a good idea to go with a lighter subject once in a while before he turns into Nick Broomfield, who's also a great film-maker, but quite serious in affect, and I feel it hurts his ability to form a rapport somewhat.

You must love "Living with Lucy" then .............. :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

briany wrote: »

I wouldn't have a great memory as regards the running order (when they were made or how scattered they were by subject matter) of his past docs. I do vaguely recall the meth one. Only thing I can think of is that the drugs issue has become more of a focus in the US, particularly opioids. I have heard this on NPR's Embedded podcast too. I don't recall the previous prostitution one. Wasn't there some stat or some quote in last Sunday's about Houston having a particular problem, or was that just the so called track area?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wouldn't have a great memory as regards the running order (when they were made or how scattered they were by subject matter) of his past docs. I do vaguely recall the meth one. Only thing I can think of is that the drugs issue has become more of a focus in the US, particularly opioids. I have heard this on NPR's Embedded podcast too. I don't recall the previous prostitution one. Wasn't there some stat or some quote in last Sunday's about Houston having a particular problem, or was that just the so called track area?

I think the opioid crisis has been going on for quite a while in that part of the USA. Seems like the root of the opioid crisis in Huntington, VA shares the same roots as the one in Oceania, VA (and perhaps many other towns around the state). A similar documentary called Oxyana covers the Oxycontin epidemic in the latter town.

Question - What's with the difference in how heroin seems to affect people? Between the spectrum of being in a nodding stupor, through to injecting it and then standing up and just seeming relatively normal? And yes, I know about the idea of tolerance, but take the two long time users in the documentary, Katillia, and the guy living in the tent. The first didn't seem too affected when she shot up, but the guy had that kind of sleepy affect you'd associate with a heroin addict. And then you might see a junkie in town, and they look like they'd have a tolerance, but it's not uncommon to see them in that stupified state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just on the subject of Louis repeating himself with the subject matter. I read an interview with him recently and he said that he was under pressure to release 3 docs this year so he went back to subjects he was familiar with.

He also said that he’s currently working on a doc about Trump supporters.

Advertisement