Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe wild campervan motorhome spots ???

• 16-07-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I bought a camper recently and have visited a few camp sites that are great (although at €35 per night a little pricey) I was wondering is there any safe wild camper spots around the country ??? One I know of is in Rooskey by the Centra shop at the Shannon beside the boats theres always a few campers there overnight so fairly safe --- any more safe spots out there ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'd think you'd get a better response elsewhere somehow.Campervan forum?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Thanks new to this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055311498

some locations here but i find the best spots are the ones you come across late in the evening when its quiet but still bright and pull in( off a main road)where only locals will travel .i try to be op and gone before anyone even notices i was here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We've stopped in loads of quite places along the west coast. Councils put up those barriers but if you go looking you'll always find somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

We have recently stayed in Terryglass and Dromineer on Lough Derg. Both have shower and toilet facilities but no hook up or water except for boats. Water can be got in Dromineer if you have a long hose connection by using the taps near the boat berths. Showers in Terryglass are very clean and comfortable. Both locations are close to pubs and restaurants. (We recommend breakfast in the hostel/B&B near Yacht club in Dromineer!)
    What a pity waterways ireland/bord failte/local councils can't get their act together and provide hook up facilities for campers! Dromineer just upgraded facilities for the berths and should have included a couple for campers but did not, though I highlighted this a year ago.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments ... What a pity waterways ireland/bord failte/local councils can't get their act together and provide hook up facilities for campers! very true sensible comment ... in these hard times Ireland needs all the help it can get from home holidaying and the revenue it will bring to the local areas so why not get some facilities together and start a ball rolling !!!

Just back from weekend on Lough Derg again. Stayed in Dromineer and have to comment on the filthy condition of the shower unit I used. Hasn't been properly cleaned in an age. I intend taking this up with Tipp Co Co.

Also stayed in Garrykennedy and SWMBO was relieved of 4 Units on her Waterways Ireland card with NO ACCESS to the shower. Anyone else experience this on any Waterways Ireland facilities? Otherwise, had a great weekend but this shoddy provision/maintenence of amenities is a disgrace. Gives a strange message to foreigners not alone those of us staycationers.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Any suggestions for 'wild camping' locations near or in Westmeath? Am hopin to start bringing my boys (8 & 6) campin and maybe fishin... and im a beginner at both myself so any other advice would be appreciated.

Also 'wild camping' might be another good section for the mods to think about ? Thanks all for any help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

RICHIE.39 wrote: »
    Also 'wild camping' might be another good section for the mods to think about ? Thanks all for any help!

My reason for not setting up a wild camping thread is that as soon as you publish something it's not "wild" anymore but public ...very much so.

And as most "wild" camping spots are unofficial to semi-legal and their usage relies a lot on the good will of the neighbours and the good behaviour of the campers I'd rather not spoil my favourite wild spots by publishing them.

Kinda defeats the purpose, IMO

Sorry peasant. Didnt wanna step on your toes. Was more thinking of general locations and tips on wild camping. Can definitely understand your reluctance to let anyone know of your favourite personal spots. I'm just lookin to start out as haven't camped properly since I was a kid and had older brothers lookin after me haha.
    Anyway appreciate the honesty! Would still appreciate any tips you have for a beginner though if you're willing.
    Thanks Richie .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56205280
    a previous thread
    by the way welcome to boards
    its addictive though

Thanks meercat. That's a brilliant thread. Interested in tryin the Offaly 'not so wild' spot. Any tips on packin for the boys for a night campin? Thanks again. (also for the welcome)

i usually arrive as late as i can after scouting out a decent spot previously
    i try to stay out of a town if possible
    near a lake (but i much prefer the coast)
    when im in a car park i try to arrange a straight drive away where i cant get blocked in
    i assume that you have a tent when you say camping so in that case i would try and camp near my vehicle just to keep an eye on it
    i still camp regular myself(not this late in the season)and the number 1 advice is a warm sleeping bag

Have been trailer tenting and now have caravan the last three years....I just thought it was time to get closer to the ground esp with the boys getting to a good age! Have a good size 3 man gelert eiger 3 tent. Hopefully it has a good water proofing to suit our weather haha

RICHIE.39 wrote: »
    Have been trailer tenting and now have caravan the last three years....I just thought it was time to get closer to the ground esp with the boys getting to a good age! Have a good size 3 man gelert eiger 3 tent. Hopefully it has a good water proofing to suit our weather haha

yeah
    just do it
    the lads are a great age and they will always have the memories
    it will stay with them forever

Only prob now is havin to remember all the tips and tricks from years ago! I'm not too bad with gear as have the sleeping bags and two cots for the boys (I'll use a roll mat, have couple inches of inbuilt insulation haha) and then the cook sets lamps and what not. Only thing I'm short on is heater as doubt I'll be lighting any campfires without gettin some hassle!

Just to update re waterways card units. I contacted Waterways re my experience and I was refunded a card which was very good customer relations. But, though waterways and I informed Tipperary co co re the condition of the facilities, neither they nor I even received any reply. Surprise; surprise.
    Soon we will be back on the road again and will be testing these facilities. Hope they work or it will be a personal call to the co co offices! Whatever good that might do.
    How can Terryglass be perfectly maintained and Dromineer and Garrykennedy be so poorly looked after? Some ass kicking needed perhaps.

You should bring it up with the local co co in person next time your there because if everyone with a bad experience complained about the state of the place maybe we could have better facilities and safer cleaner places to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Folks , tis all too rare that I get to hit away in a MH for leisure , so wondering where is safe to pull up for a night or two around Sligo , Strandhil/rosses Point etc? Just 2 of us , in a decent MH , ideally not too far from a shop or pub but has to be close to the sea.

If any of ye have secret spots , feel free to PM . thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Pass thru Mullaghmore with sea on rhs parking half mile on rhs.Saw 2 large english campers set up there once .On top of cliff so access to sea.

defike wrote: »
    Pass thru Mullaghmore with sea on rhs parking half mile on rhs.Saw 2 large english campers set up there once .On top of cliff so access to sea.

i stopped here too(a few times)
    absolutely spectacular views especially in the mornings

little spot called portavade
    its east of easkey
    isolated though

most of those little roads around easkey that lead to the coast should be fine

Just back from short break in N Mayo. Spent Sun Night in Belmullet right by the sea on a corner near primary school and behind church. Quiet and a short walk to shops and pubs. Grand spot for an Aire with room for 2 vans. School starts at 09.30 so cars start arriving around 0900.

I splashed out €12.50 for a S.N.I http://safenightsireland.com/ membership (says for 12 months but my membership runs out 31-12-12?) €10 per night in various locations around Ireland ... worth it for peace of mind (defo says my daughter):)

Re my last rant on the conditions of toilets and showers in Dromineer and Garrykennedy. Was down that way again a few weekends ago and was pleasantly surprised at the clean conditions of the shower units in Garry (even at the end of the long weekend) which were much improved and had obviously had a revamp. One can now hang up ones clothes instead of trying to find a dry spatter free area on the floor. Only negative comment....the water in showers was barely warm, not even lukewarm. In Dromineer the only shower unit operational did not have a bulb working. I brought this to the attention of the local worker so hope it has been taken care of. (In case I did not mention it before, I was refunded our wasted units by Waterways Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Hi ,could you explain the reason for getting a card off Waterways.Can you park a camper in or beside a station or is it just to use the toilets and showers.Only new to this .Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

Hi all. Does any body know if there is somewhere at Dublin port to park in the motorhome for the night to make it easy to catch an early ferry in the morning instead of driving all through the night with 2 young kids.

Pjwal wrote: »
    Hi all. Does any body know if there is somewhere at Dublin port to park in the motorhome for the night to make it easy to catch an early ferry in the morning instead of driving all through the night with 2 young kids.

the topaz service station seems to be recommended in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056660478

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

errrrmmmmmmmmm, I'd not use the Topaz if you want somewhere quiet........its a noisy truck stop, with trucks refuelling all day and night, and fridges running.....You'd be as far on finding a quiet side street up off north wall quay, it'd be free and a lot quieter, and 3 mins away from the port.

Advertisement