Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cancel Auto Renewal with Match.com

Options
  • 01-07-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

About 6 months back I signed up for 6 months on match.com after the initial month I didn't actively use it anymore.

I realized on a Sunday morning 6 months later I had been charged another 75 euro the day before Saturday. I contacted them to say I was not interested in the service and could I please be refunded. This was point blank refused despite them being able to see the account was albeit dormant and had not been used to contact anyone.

They have small print T+Cs that allow them to rebill you automatically and they do not even send you a mail to say "Your membership has been renewed". When I signed up originally I tried to the same day turn off auto renewal but they don't allow it the same day that you sign up... So I forgot (call me cynical but I expect that's what they hope...).

Some will probably argue its my own fault. Fair enough. But the above in my opinion shows that the company is using legal but very underhand ways to charge customers. Not refunding when I contacted them the next day is really bad form. They also make it unclear when you go-to cancel on their website , it almost suggests it will close your account even though you may have already paid for 6 months or a year.

I'm not going to pursue it any further I'll take this one on the chin but thought I'd share the experience to warn people using match.com to cancel your membership or they will keep charging you until your card expires and they will never even tell you.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i think you will find thats the way with any web based memberships, including linkedin, etc. You have to cancel the auto renewal, otherwise terms are pretty clear you get billed and its non refundable...regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

i think you will find thats the way with any web based memberships, including linkedin, etc. You have to cancel the auto renewal, otherwise terms are pretty clear you get billed and its non refundable...regardless

There is no excuse for not sending an email to say "Thank you for auto-renewing your subscription you have been charged xx."

This costs them nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Xcellor wrote: »
    They have small print T+Cs
    Nothing underhand about it imo. Their T&Cs are very clear and all in the same sized font, it's not as if they're trying to hide their terms or mislead. They clearly tell you the account will auto-renew at that you must cancel at least 48hrs before the expiry of your subscription and the termination occurs on the expiry date. Of course a reminder email a few days/weeks in advance would be nice but ultimately it's your responsibility to monitor your contracts.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Nothing underhand about it imo. Their T&Cs are very clear and all in the same sized font, it's not as if they're trying to hide their terms or mislead. They clearly tell you the account will auto-renew at that you must cancel at least 48hrs before the expiry of your subscription and the termination occurs on the expiry date. Of course a reminder email a few days/weeks in advance would be nice but ultimately it's your responsibility to monitor your contracts.

I disagree. I don't know of any company that will charge your card without notification of such (either email or paper confirmation). I obviously had no intention of renewing the subscription as my account history would have shown and the fact I contacted them a day after they took the money. To deny a refund or even partial refund IMO was completely underhanded and I actually felt robbed. I won't cry about 75 euro but I thought I would take the time to warn others who maybe using this service.

Putting T+Cs it is really sh1t and then expecting 6 months later for a customer to remember to cancel an "auto renewal" is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

in fairness I just realised now that a service i signed up for was billing me quarterly for same reason. best I got was thanks for renewing after the charge was made! was only 9€ a qtr but still...

• Advertisement

in fairness I just realised now that a service i signed up for was billing me quarterly for same reason. best I got was thanks for renewing after the charge was made! was only 9€ a qtr but still...

Lucky you. Only for my bank contacted me on Sunday morning to advise me of a transaction on an old card I wouldn't have been any of the wiser. A quick search on google suggests I'm not the only unhappy customer match.com has.

Anyway if I can get just 1 person to cancel their auto-renewal then I'm happy and I already did that. I will also as a disgrunteled customer tell anyone who asks (and those who don't) about it.

Here is the reply I got back from them when I contacted them on Sunday (a day after being billed)

Hello Xcellor,

You have come through to Jess and I will be happy to help you.

In response to your query, I am sorry to hear that you were debited without intending to continue with the services.

I can see that since your initial subscription payment, you have been automatically renewed for a period of the same duration, as agreed at the point of purchase.

Members who do not wish their subscription to be automatically renewed, have the freedom to cancel their renewal at any time 48 hours before the expiry date; via the "My account settings" page or alternatively contacting our Customer Care team.

After looking into your account, we are unable to offer you a refund. I have however cancelled any further payments so you will not be charged again. Your current pass is valid until 19-12-2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

There is no excuse for not sending an email to say "Thank you for auto-renewing your subscription you have been charged xx."

This costs them nothing.

actually that would cost them a fortune! - people like yourself would be reminded to cancel, thus they lose out on all those fees.

delahuntv wrote: »
    actually that would cost them a fortune! - people like yourself would be reminded to cancel, thus they lose out on all those fees.

Yep. Sharp business practice and not customer friendly.

Not allowing at the point of purchase the ability to turn off auto-renewal then auto renewing without even so much as a "Thank you for your continued business" is bad form.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

But, you can cancel the auto-renewal at any stage of your membership, even after day 1.

As for cancelling due to lack of service - their billing system is automated. So, no one looks to see if you use it or not. You subscribed - you didn't cancel the auto-renewal, so it is your own fault. The fact that you didn't use their service is not their fault either.

Sorry, but they have themselves well covered in their T&Cs. Nothing at all unusual about their subscription model.

Paulw wrote: »
    But, you can cancel the auto-renewal at any stage of your membership, even after day 1.

As for cancelling due to lack of service - their billing system is automated. So, no one looks to see if you use it or not. You subscribed - you didn't cancel the auto-renewal, so it is your own fault. The fact that you didn't use their service is not their fault either.

Sorry, but they have themselves well covered in their T&Cs. Nothing at all unusual about their subscription model.

Their billing system is automated fair enough. So why isn't there an automated email to say "Your subscription is due for renewal and will be renewed automatically" or hey even "We've just charged you thank you very much!" That in itself is not good customer service. I've been charged for a service and I don't even get informed about it?

I contacted them as soon as I became aware of this. The day after. At that point if they could have verified that in fact I didn't use the service and a normal decent company would have offered a refund/part refund.

As I said I accept the T+Cs but what p1sses me off is the lack of communication. I have never had a company take money and not inform by at least email to state this... How was I even to know my subscription had been extended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

How was I even to know my subscription had been extended?

Because you clicked that you read and accepted their terms and conditions.

I don't think you are going to change anyone's mind that in this case you are wrong no matter how much you believe you're right.

Because you clicked that you read and accepted their terms and conditions.

I don't think you are going to change anyone's mind that in this case you are wrong no matter how much you believe you're right.

I'm not arguing the legality of T+C and me agreeing to them, I'm simply pointing out that this company made it very easy for customers to continue to be billed by choosing not to inform them when a renewal had taken place.

I won't make the same mistake again because I will never use this service ever again but hopefully someone who is using the service will read this post and take action and save themselves some money.

Advertisement