Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield 5 2016

• 18-11-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/2016-s-battlefield-will-return-to-military-style-r/1100-6423674/
    2016's Battlefield game, which was announced last month, will see the franchise return to its military-focused roots which the series is best known for, unlike the cops-and-robbers Battlefield Hardline.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen made the comment today during the 2014 UBS Global Technology Conference. He said he has already seen the game and it is shaping up to be a "fun, new Battlefield."

"That will be a return to a Battlefield military-style game; more to come on that," he said.

Didnt see that coming :pac:

Not sure what the bit in bold means :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

STOP RELEASING GAMES ANNUALLY!

€60 for each BF game, and each game could be played, IMHO, for 2-3 years without getting boring if there was enough work and effort put into each of them. But EA wouldn't make as much money if that was the case, would they?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Nope, that's why we are going to see one every year. In fairness DICE used to more or less release a BF product every year since 1942. Granted they were not major games. I agree though, we could use a year or 2 break from the franchise with them releasing something fecking amazing at the end of it. But that means less money so that's never going to happen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What I want to see is the Korean war. It's an almost completely ignored conflict, yet the results are still constantly in the daily news. The weapons of the time would still provide a good mix of rifles such as Garands and M14s, Simonovs and AK47s, but still have decent SMGs for the engineer classes. Plenty of older tanks that wouldn't be overpowered. And none of the artificial stuff like thermal vision or essentially magical stuff like rail guns either. Plus the geography would also lend itself to a good mix of maps, from mountains to cities. It'd simultaneously be a return to the elements of earlier games, with loosing any variety and making use of the Frostbite engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What I want to see is a character model that lets you move the way the character model in Arma3 lets you move. Three character stances? Try 72. Try independent view and aim controls (like free look in helos in BF4 but all the time) and add in head-tracking while you're at it (hardware costs? Try about €10 in total for a basic head-tracking setup and that's only if you don't already have a webcam).

The number of times I get annoyed playing BF4 now because I can't lean around a corner or crouch down behind cover and just peek over the top because the character model doesn't mesh with the map at that exact point... not worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just want another BF Vietnam. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Oh, and could we fix the audio so that a 250lb soldier carrying grenades, a sidearm and 600 rounds of 5.56 NATO ammo in three belts for the M259 he's got slung around his shoulders, can't run round a corner at full speed behind you and stab you in the neck with his little knife with bipod thing, all without making a single noise louder than a gnat farting three hundred miles away under a duvet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The fact that the CFO is making the announcement is very telling about how game design decisions are being made

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

STOP RELEASING GAMES ANNUALLY!

€60 for each BF game, and each game could be played, IMHO, for 2-3 years without getting boring if there was enough work and effort put into each of them. But EA wouldn't make as much money if that was the case, would they?

Battlefield 1942 2002

Battlefield 2 2005

Battlefield 2142 2006

Battlefield Bad Company 2008

Battlefield Bad Company 2 2010

Battlefield 3 2011

Battlefield 4 2013

Battlefield Hardline 2015

Battlefield 5 2016

There are still peoplle playing BF1942 online and in LAN parties (despite the gamespy shutdown), so it's not true to say that the games don't have lasting appeal

EA has always released Battlefield games at about the same interval. Most of those games still have people playing them online. If you don't want to spend the money on a new game, there's nothing stopping you from playing the current version for longer until the new game gets the inevitabe price drop.

I love the Battlefield franchise and I love looking forward to new DLCs and new iterations of the game.

I'll probably buy hardline as the swan song for my Xbox 360 and upgrade to a new platform to when BF5 is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Hope it's Bad Company 3 with proper destruction and not the staged levelution.

yimrsg wrote: »
    Hope it's Bad Company 3 with proper destruction and not the staged levelution.

Me too, and similar particle effects where there are smoke clouds and dust from explosions obscuring vision to recreate the sense of how a real battlefield would behave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have 4 will buy Battlefront, not bothered with Hardline.

We'll see about 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I genuinely don't mind an annualised Battlefield. No one is holding a gun to my head or pushing it down my throat. I know it's there if I ever want it though and after playing BF4 for the best part of a year, I lost interest; I'm looking for a change of scenery and Hardline will provide that until Battlefront.

What I'd like to see would be a WW2 Battlefield - parachuting into Normandy to begin a game of Rush with 128 players, then Bad Company 3 (set in the Cold War) Kind of like a BF version of the original Black Ops - Korean War, Vietnam War etc etc complete with Rolling Stones soundtrack....I want these games before I ever even hear a whisper of Battlefield 5.

I don't think 2016 will be BF5 though. That's Dice's neck of the woods and they've been busy with Battlefront. D.L.A and Visceral will will be making BF games until at least 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Dayum wrote: »
    I genuinely don't mind an annualised Battlefield

If it had only minor bugs at launch I'm all in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really wish they would make a Battlefield 1944.

I will buy Battlefront, but I won't be buying Hardline. I think BF4 is a good game but I just stopped playing it after about a year, none of them really captured my attention long-term the way Battlefield '42 and BF2 did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wonder if they will ever go back to WW2? Or are we completely over that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I wonder if they will ever go back to WW2? Or are we completely over that now?

I'm not , and I won't ever be god damn it ! stupid kids with their stupid modern warfare and their twitch gaming reflexes looking for war games that are more like UT2004 .

Why I remember back in nineteen dickety two , we had to call it dickety cause the Kaiser stole our word for twenty .............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

jonski wrote: »
    I'm not , and I won't ever be god damn it ! stupid kids with their stupid modern warfare and their twitch gaming reflexes looking for war games that are more like UT2004 .

Why I remember back in nineteen dickety two , we had to call it dickety cause the Kaiser stole our word for twenty .............

Go back to muskets where you get one shot then you have to reload for 3 mins or throw a turnip at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Go back to muskets where you get one shot then you have to reload for 3 mins or throw a turnip at them.

There was actually a Half Life mod set in the American War of Independance, Colonial Troops vs Redcoats, that had muskets. Think there was a sequel in Source engine as well.

I think done well it's pretty cool, making every shot count and all that.

There was actually a Half Life mod set in the American War of Independance, Colonial Troops vs Redcoats, that had muskets. Think there was a sequel in Source engine as well.

I think done well it's pretty cool, making every shot count and all that.

Yeah I used to play that. twas good craic in short bursts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'd love to see what they could do with another WW2 based version with a new engine / graphics. Maybe its just nostalgia!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Dayum wrote: »
    No one is holding a gun to my head.
    You have played battlefield before? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Day made. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Akrasia wrote: »
    Battlefield 1942 2002

Battlefield 2 2005

Battlefield 2142 2006

Battlefield Bad Company 2008

Battlefield Bad Company 2 2010

Battlefield 3 2011

Battlefield 4 2013

Battlefield Hardline 2015

Battlefield 5 2016

I'm playing BF since battlefield 1942. TBH, real battlefield ended at Battlefield 2. All next releases were like "sell and dont give a ****"

I hope that this time they will do it right, not as in the case where actually the BF4 was sold as beta version. And stays as beta for long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

F**k it all. Just release a game with a mod pack, so the mod community can release what we're looking for! :cool:

But I think Dice have learnt from the mod Desert Combat; if the mod tools exist, you can just make a new game free, and this is something they don't like, as it'd hurt their DLC sale rates.

One thing I'd like for them to rob off ARMA is the three teams. Two main teams against each other, and a 3rd bunch of independents that are there to mess things up.

Imagine a map where the trains are active, going on a set track, with an AA gun on top and a few soldiers taking pot shots out the windows. To randomly insert a small number of players that are on neither side who don't cap flags, and who don't have an objective as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

the_syco wrote: »

Imagine a map where the trains are active, going on a set track, with an AA gun on top and a few soldiers taking pot shots out the windows. To randomly insert a small number of players that are on neither side who don't cap flags, and who don't have an objective as such.

We already have a large number of players that don't cap flags and don't have an objective , as such :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

And now look what is happening with World of Tanks, 5 years on the market if we count closed beta, they growing mad, why? same story like BF did at the beggining, people can mod the game.

Advertisement