Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can Astronomy Ireland really be considered an 'Astronomy club' anymore?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SPACEJOCKEY

god help us :D i was also at that too and i was thinking maybe ill take a trip down
    there and buy a scope from them maybe not this is from some guy on the ifas
    forum who also went to the mars event.

calibos i think i should just come clean and get everything off my chest when i was starting
    out in astronomy i went out their with 3000 euro in hand a hardcore astronomy addict still
    am i bought a CG-5 and C-11 for 2545 euro also a set of 1.25 eyepieaces for 200 euro then left
    on my own to work it no help but this is life after six months i was flying.

then i decided i needed a bigger mount but before that i bought a little 72mm WO from here
    i loved it so much amazing view and brightness so after that i said thats it im going to get
    big apo and a good mount i got tired of collimating the C-11 SCT anyway we dont have the skys
    for a C-11 anyway with the seeing so i traded it in the same scope and mount i bought off them
    about 15 months ago for 2545 euro i was offered 1100 euro the only reason i took it was i ran
    out of money both scope and mount were like new the same guy who sold it too me a red haired
    guy pretends he doesnt know me then starts saying oh the motors are wore and the vixan bar is
    scratched i knew this was all just to drive down the price they were really trying to give me
    1000 euro then carl the guy i know said i try get them to give you 1100 i knew i was being
    robbed but i needed the money for the mount the cgem dx.

but what really drove me off the edge was when i when to the mars event i believe it was meant
    to happen i turned up late at 9.30 got talking to a guy with a guess what a CG-5 and a C-11
    their was also another C-11 their as well and other scopes so as i was talking him i said where
    did you buy it he says astronomy ireland i said my god i traded mine in for 1100 euro i looked
    down and you would not believe it it was my scope and mount he said how do you know i said
    take off counterweight bar their should be a scratch on top where i droped it we looked with his
    torch it was there then i said look at the cover where you put on the mirror cover their should be
    a little clip missing there was he said ok its yours i asked him how much did you buy it for he said
    2100 they told him it was from the showroom when it was really mine they must of put on a new vixan
    bar on it cleaned it and then sold it as nearly new saying it was from the showroom now you can see
    why im a little angry at AI then all the other stuff i hear and see by other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Guys,

Dont be under the illusion that AI are the only gig in town!

And I would defo recommend joining www.irishastronomy.org

A wealth of information on there. And some great semi-pros!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

god help us :D i was also at that too and i was thinking maybe ill take a trip down
    there and buy a scope from them maybe not this is from some guy on the ifas
    forum who also went to the mars event.

calibos i think i should just come clean and get everything off my chest when i was starting
    out in astronomy i went out their with 3000 euro in hand a hardcore astronomy addict still
    am i bought a CG-5 and C-11 for 2545 euro also a set of 1.25 eyepieaces for 200 euro then left
    on my own to work it no help but this is life after six months i was flying.

then i decided i needed a bigger mount but before that i bought a little 72mm WO from here
    i loved it so much amazing view and brightness so after that i said thats it im going to get
    big apo and a good mount i got tired of collimating the C-11 SCT anyway we dont have the skys
    for a C-11 anyway with the seeing so i traded it in the same scope and mount i bought off them
    about 15 months ago for 2545 euro i was offered 1100 euro the only reason i took it was i ran
    out of money both scope and mount were like new the same guy who sold it too me a red haired
    guy pretends he doesnt know me then starts saying oh the motors are wore and the vixan bar is
    scratched i knew this was all just to drive down the price they were really trying to give me
    1000 euro then carl the guy i know said i try get them to give you 1100 i knew i was being
    robbed but i needed the money for the mount the cgem dx.

but what really drove me off the edge was when i when to the mars event i believe it was meant
    to happen i turned up late at 9.30 got talking to a guy with a guess what a CG-5 and a C-11
    their was also another C-11 their as well and other scopes so as i was talking him i said where
    did you buy it he says astronomy ireland i said my god i traded mine in for 1100 euro i looked
    down and you would not believe it it was my scope and mount he said how do you know i said
    take off counterweight bar their should be a scratch on top where i droped it we looked with his
    torch it was there then i said look at the cover where you put on the mirror cover their should be
    a little clip missing there was he said ok its yours i asked him how much did you buy it for he said
    2100 they told him it was from the showroom when it was really mine they must of put on a new vixan
    bar on it cleaned it and then sold it as nearly new saying it was from the showroom now you can see
    why im a little angry at AI then all the other stuff i hear and see by other people.
    3k!!! Starting out?!? Don't really have a comment in the transaction, but........3k?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

A CG5 can move a C11 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I recall that when David Moore burst upon the scene here, he claimed to be an 'FRAS', a suffix he no longer uses.

Did the Royal Astronomical Society unfellow him or was he ever a fellow in the first place??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Exactly how many astronomy clubs are there in Ireland?

Also: SPACEJOCKEY, you use less punctuation than James Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Was in the showroom today, picked up an eyepiece, still nice to walk into a showroom in a premesis rather then shop onlime imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is the showroom very easy to get to by bus/Dart/LUAS from city centre? Clueless about Dublin sorry for the O/T. Whats it like? Can you see the scopes in action, swivilling on their mounts I mean not observing obviously. Is it worth making the trip out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Thargor wrote: »
    Is the showroom very easy to get to by bus/Dart/LUAS from city centre? Clueless about Dublin sorry for the O/T. Whats it like? Can you see the scopes in action, swivilling on their mounts I mean not observing obviously. Is it worth making the trip out?

Yea just get any swords bus and get off at airside! Yes to other questions! Smaller showrrom then i thought it wud be all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

coylemj wrote: »
    I recall that when David Moore burst upon the scene here, he claimed to be an 'FRAS', a suffix he no longer uses.

Did the Royal Astronomical Society unfellow him or was he ever a fellow in the first place??

very good question. doubt if we'll find an answer easily.

on an unrelated subject, seen him today flogging scopes in the phoenix park. The OPW organised a family day "The Mad Hatters Tea Party" in the park, the garda had a stall with the OPW and in the middle was another stall with David Moore and some telescopes. running a business is to be commended especially in this day and age. and thats what it all seems to be focused on. selling telescopes. no harm in that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

emo72 wrote: »
    on an unrelated subject, seen him today flogging scopes in the phoenix park. The OPW organised a family day "The Mad Hatters Tea Party" in the park, the garda had a stall with the OPW and in the middle was another stall with David Moore and some telescopes. running a business is to be commended especially in this day and age. and thats what it all seems to be focused on. selling telescopes. no harm in that though.

True, in this environment, business people need to be commended and supported, the problem people have though is that in this situation there is a business and what is supposed to be a club for expanding knowledge and interest in astronomy, however, that club seems little more then a self-financing marketing tool for the company. I saw them in the park yesterday also, and If the company where there selling their telescopes then fine, but inside every leaflet about the company they gave out was a membership form for the 'club', it is not possible to see where the seperation between club and company is.

npc_100 wrote: »
    ... it is not possible to see where the seperation between club and company is.

To quote from the revised Nicene Creed: they are 'consubstantial'. Both of them exist for no other purpose than to generate an income for you know who.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

coylemj wrote: »
    To quote from the revised Nicene Creed: they are 'consubstantial'. Both of them exist for no other purpose than to generate an income for you know who.

When another one of the incessent junk emails arrives asking if a charitable donation of a spare gas SuperSer is possible by anyone....for the shop, one really does wonder whether a dividing line exists at all. I guess not having to spend profits on a heater for the shop is in effect the same thing as 'generating income for you know who' :D but dressing it up as supporting the shop I mean club.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

stopped being a member due to the poor quality of the magazine after a few years (that was basically what being a membership got you). have heard Mr Moore being called 'the money man' so often since by so many people in Irish astronomy circles......... there are a lot of better and cheaper astronomy clubs around Ireland to be a member of. local is better anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Ardent wrote: »
    I feel there's a lot of deliberate misinformation in this thread...

That's like saying we're lying!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭dmcdona

OK - maybe "deliberate misinformation" is harsh - I certainly did not intend to imply that anyone was lying... :o

Perhaps "the situation" may be better characterised by:

1. The distinction between A&S (for profit) and AI (not-for-profit) is so unclear that the two seem to merge into one organisation (for-profit).

2. As regards events and service/price in the shop, everyone has an opinion - some are polar opposites of others. But they are opinions nonetheless.

Ultimately, and I've said it before, if you are happy with your interactions with A&S/AI, that's great and long may the happy relationship continue and you have a right to express them publicly here on these boards.

Personally, I wish A&S/AI the very best of luck with their endeavours for the benefit of all with an interest in astronomy (passing or more long-term).

I certainly do sympathise with those on these boards whose experience of A&S/AI has not been positive. And they have a right to express them publicly here on these boards.

Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

Ardent wrote: »
    Well, considering this thread has been bumped, I'm going to give my 2 cents worth on the debate -

I feel there's a lot of deliberate misinformation in this thread. I've been to the last two AI meets/watches and I brought my telescope along both times. Not once was I challenged on the type of scope I had.

Also, I think the club is doing a lot of good work with regards to promoting awareness about astronomy. The attendance for last week's Mars Watch in the Phoneix Park was simply stunning - you couldn't get parking anywhere near the Papal Cross car park. No sooner had I set my small scope up than I realised there was a queue of strangers behind me waiting to have a look!!

Long may that kind of thing continue.

Hi David!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

squonk wrote: »
    Hi David!!! :D

You're wide of the mark and very stupid if you think I'm shilling for AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

sorry, no offence meant. for some reason it looked at the time like you had just 2 posts. I see that's actually 2000+.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

squonk wrote: »
    sorry, no offence meant. for some reason it looked at the time like you had just 2 posts. I see that's actually 2000+.

Apology accepted. And sorry for my blunt response - I was very annoyed! :D

• Advertisement

Seanie M wrote: »
    That's like saying we're lying!

:P

Dang! I'm apologising for something I didn't write! Apologies Ardent.

But it would probably be something I would have said... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Civilized forum. Good shtuff. Must be all the maths.:-)

dmcdona wrote: »
    Personally, I wish A&S/AI the very best of luck with their endeavours for the benefit of all with an interest in astronomy (passing or more long-term).

That is just plain wrong. Both entities exist for no other reason than to generate an income for David Moore, please don't treat us like idiots.

There is no public benefit ethos behind either of those bodies. If there was, then at the very least AI would be run by a democratically elected committee just like any other organisation claiming to be a club as in 'the most popular astronomy club in the world'.

At least with Astronomy (the US magazine) and Sky & Telescope you know you're dealing with a business. AI and Davd Moore should stop pretending to be a club, they are not by any interpretation of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭kiki

ASTRONOMY IRELAND IS A HARDCORE MILITARY DICTATORSHIP
    JUST LIKE NORTH KOREA LONG LIVE THE DEAR LEADER DAVID.:D

Dont agree with this sort of statement. That type of comment is not helpful. The man in question is allowed to make a living, just like anyone else. Whats annoys a lot of people Ive talked to about this issue is the fact the "club" is dressed up a a club when in fact it is not a club - there are no annual agm with voting etc. at least when i was a member I was never notified of one. I stopped my membership of the organisation several years ago because of this very issue and I explained that to severla of his staff who subsequently called me by telephone. I would like there to be a more democratic large Irish club, and I will support same when that days comes to pass. Having said that Mr. Moore seems passionate and knowledgeable about his subject matter and does expose the wider public to astronomy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

kiki wrote: »
    ...Mr. Moore seems passionate and knowledgeable about his subject matter and does expose the wider public to astronomy...

...while inviting them in to the land of make-believe that there's a club exposing them to it. That's the con.

Seriously, what's with all the negativity with AI. Everyone who knows me are constantly making sure I have heard news relating to the space above our heads thanks to AI. They tell me they heard news on the radio, tv, newspapers...... It's great to hear my family, friends talk about these things. I genuinely thank AI for this

There are two sides to every story and I'll be honest when I read a few pages back that some lad was not allowed bring a certain model of scope to the BBQ because the AI shop didn't sell it, well, that is weird. Maybe there is more to it than that, if not I think going forward it would be benificial to allow people bring whatever scopes they want

Have to say my recent experience buying a new scope was very positive. As stated on their website, if you find a better price online they will match it, and they did, I got a great deal. Rather spend my hard earned cash in a local store than buying online. Staff where very friendly and helpful. A very refreshing change.

Nobody is being conned, tricked. Hopefully more people love for the universe spreads and we can all join together and tear down the big orange lampost by my garden wall so I can actually see the sky

Please excuse any typos, writing this on my phone was the hardest thing I have ever done

Peace out star watchers

Brother Andy (great name!)

It seems that there are those people who have had good experiences of A&S (the shop) - like yourself, and then there are those who have had a bad experience of A&S. These 20 odd pages of posts here are a mixture of both.

People should certainly satisfy themselves (by doing the research etc) before they make a purchase, buy a service etc. that they are dealing with a reputable supplier.

So, let me ask you this - you go onto Amazon/eBay etc and you see something you want. Just so happens its available from two suppliers. One with a 50% rating, one with a 95% rating. Who you going to choose?

Because A&S does not publish ratings, I guess these boards attempt to "rate" A&S by allowing folks to elucidate their own personal experiences of dealing with A&S. Both good and bad.

You are one of those folks who would give A&S probably 90% + for the service you received. There are others here who would give them zero. There are other still who would give them something in between.

Neutrals reading these posts can at least make their own minds up - is A&S a 50% supplier or a 90%+ supplier?

FWIW...

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

dmcdona wrote: »
    Brother Andy (great name!)

It seems that there are those people who have had good experiences of A&S (the shop) - like yourself, and then there are those who have had a bad experience of A&S. These 20 odd pages of posts here are a mixture of both.

People should certainly satisfy themselves (by doing the research etc) before they make a purchase, buy a service etc. that they are dealing with a reputable supplier.

So, let me ask you this - you go onto Amazon/eBay etc and you see something you want. Just so happens its available from two suppliers. One with a 50% rating, one with a 95% rating. Who you going to choose?

Because A&S does not publish ratings, I guess these boards attempt to "rate" A&S by allowing folks to elucidate their own personal experiences of dealing with A&S. Both good and bad.

You are one of those folks who would give A&S probably 90% + for the service you received. There are others here who would give them zero. There are other still who would give them something in between.

Neutrals reading these posts can at least make their own minds up - is A&S a 50% supplier or a 90%+ supplier?

FWIW...

Dave

Well said!

Hi Dave, I agree 100% with you. Internet forums are as good a place as any to air issues with bad service and I do search and check them before I purchase. My post didn't mean to state that I had a good experience so therefore AI are grrrrrrrrreat. Just wanted to add to the balance

However it's the concept of AI that seems to be on trial here. The fact that the club and shop are seen as one. I personally don't have an issue with it. To be honest I just always thought they were a club who had a shop. Is this what the issue is? I'm confused now. As a young lad I visited my grandad's golf club. That had a shop too, such evil :-)

occasional Bad service Issues aside(which no club, company, business is Immune to), I am surprised with the level of criticism that is being levelled at AI for the way they operate. It's impossible to please everyone all if the time but the fact that they get hundreds/ thousands of people to freeze their asses off each year looking at the sky has to be praised in my opinion.

Sure the Shop/website gets mentioned a lot to the media. But surely when speaking to the media it makes sense to advise people where they can start, continue their hobby. I can't personally think of a better store to advise people to go and check out. It seems to be all one brand but it's a great eye opener. Is there any other store in Ireland on the same scale as the AI store in Swords? Genuine question

Good day to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

I just want a CPC800 :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement