Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS M1330

• 23-11-2007 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I've been putting some serious thought in to getting one of these. Is there anyone here who has one who thinks that they're worth it? What I'm looking for is something portable for college for programming, that I can take to gaming lans as well too.

I'm not expecting it to be able to run any of the next generation of games with everything turned up to full or anything, but gaming is essential and I'd like to be able to have the games I play perform well on it. I plan to dual box in EvE online should I get this. Does the M1330 deliver the region of gaming performance, or is it mainly great for its size and design?

One thing I don't know if I like or not about it is that it has a 13" wide-screen which is rubbish for gaming, but at the same time it's really small which is what's so awesome about it. I reckon I could live with a 13" screen though, considering that I'll probably be playing most games on my desktop.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you want to game stay away from the m1330. It only has integrated graphics which are rubbish for gaming. Get a laptop with an 8600gt instead. It'll be at least a 15" laptop you'll be looking at though which will still be plenty portable and will have a good size screen for when you do play games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

The m1330 can ship with a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS. It's not a great card by any means, but it's as good as you will get in a 13.3" laptop. The general opinion is that the m1330 can handle most games if you reduce the details and frame-rate, but it will never be a great gaming machine.

Here are some youtube vids showing games running on the m1330:
    WiC:

Crysis:

FEAR:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

8400GS is OK, pretty poor for the latest games but perfectly good for slightly older games like Half Life 2 and other games from that era at high settings. So depending on how old the games you want to play are, it could be a good gaming machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Sounds grand for what I'll be playing on it. There wont be a lot of gaming being done on this machine and any of the games being run on it will not be very demanding. For most of the games I play it would simply be more of a reserve machine. Most of the games I'd be playing on it are World of Warcraft for a while and mostly EvE online. Neither are very demanding. I'd also probably get it with the intel T7500 cpu.

To be totally honest, I think I've been suckered in by its looks and size, which is very foolish, but I'll probably end up getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Viscosity

I'm in the market for a 1330 myself, currently have multiple dell store/dell outlet windows open!

If you look at the thread below, some people in bargain alerts are debating the amount of value available in the Dell Outlet at the minute.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055188662

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Viscosity wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a 1330 myself, currently have multiple dell store/dell outlet windows open!

If you look at the thread below, some people in bargain alerts are debating the amount of value available in the Dell Outlet at the minute.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055188662

I haven't looked at that thread in a while but you might want to keep in mind the boards.ie 10% discount with dell. It doesn't apply to the dell outlet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi lads,

I got one of these when they first came out.

I was waiting ages for mine (as in 3 months!!).....I think they've sorted out the problems now tho!

The size and design is lovely..very un-Dell like!! I was also thinking of getting Sony FZ but I'm more than happy with the M1330.

I don't use it much for games, but it can handle most games with the detail and frame rates turned down. I didn't buy it with intention to use it as a gaming machine anyway.

The only problem I've had was when the screen (the uprgraded White LED Backlit screen) stopped working. A Dell engineer arrived at my door the next day and replaced the screen which was great service!

Gaming on this really isn't a priority for me. I think I'm going to go with the M1330. I was also looking at some of the inspiron 1520's and they don't look half bad. The only thing was that there were some compatability issues with the wireless card. I'm just doing a few price checks with the boards.ie discount and a discount my old man can get with his work. I'll see which is cheaper and probably order one tonight. Thanks everyone for the info.

Binomate wrote: »
    Gaming on this really isn't a priority for me. I think I'm going to go with the M1330. I was also looking at some of the inspiron 1520's and they don't look half bad. The only thing was that there were some compatability issues with the wireless card. I'm just doing a few price checks with the boards.ie discount and a discount my old man can get with his work. I'll see which is cheaper and probably order one tonight. Thanks everyone for the info.

If you are on about the EPP I think you can get both together. Check out the thread in Bargain Alerts, I think someone there got both together.

I managed to get an pretty nice discount on the M1330. It was specced with a T7500, 8400 GS, 2gigs of ram, 120 gig HD, 6 cell battery and the upgraded moniter. All in all on the dell website it's about €1350. I'm ordering it for €1000.

• Advertisement

I managed to get an pretty nice discount on the M1330. It was specced with a T7500, 8400 GS, 2gigs of ram, 120 gig HD, 6 cell battery and the upgraded moniter. All in all on the dell website it's about €1350. I'm ordering it for €1000.

How did you get the €350 off?

My old man ordered it through work. They get some pretty nice discounts from Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Ordered mine through work to get the VAT off...delivered yesterday. It's a fantastic machine for the size and weight. I'm using it for anything from mixing music to graphics CAD programs and Photoshop, so far so good. The graphics card is absolutely fine as long as you're not expecting it to be an ultimate games machine. It's more than adequate for my purposes. Also, don't go for the 4GB RAM option, go for 2GB and upgrade yourself after. Dell charge an extra €300+ for the extra 2 GB -rip off. You can get that off the net for €100 instead and it's easy to install.

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Ordered mine through work to get the VAT off...delivered yesterday. It's a fantastic machine for the size and weight. I'm using it for anything from mixing music to graphics CAD programs and Photoshop, so far so good. The graphics card is absolutely fine as long as you're not expecting it to be an ultimate games machine. It's more than adequate for my purposes. Also, don't go for the 4GB RAM option, go for 2GB and upgrade yourself after. Dell charge an extra €300+ for the extra 2 GB -rip off. You can get that off the net for €100 instead and it's easy to install.
    How long did delivery take for yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

eBay had brilliant specs for a little over €1100.

2.2Ghz, 250GB HD, 2GB RAM, 9-cell, Crimson Red, WLED WXGA display with the camera and all the extras...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/DELL-XPS-M1330-LAPTOP-2-2-GHZ-2GB-RAM-250GB-CRIMSON-RED_W0QQitemZ110193932446QQihZ001QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

auggie2k wrote: »
    eBay had brilliant specs for a little over €1100.

2.2Ghz, 250GB HD, 2GB RAM, 9-cell, Crimson Red, WLED WXGA display with the camera and all the extras...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/DELL-XPS-M1330-LAPTOP-2-2-GHZ-2GB-RAM-250GB-CRIMSON-RED_W0QQitemZ110193932446QQihZ001QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Seems like that doesn't include VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Ah your right, didn't see that. Plus 17.5% VAT to total = less that €1400 - for that spec... that's crazy good cos I was pricing one myself yesterday close to that spec and it was coming up at €1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I got an M1330 myself recently and I am very happy with it so.

It is built really well and turns heads around the college. I needed something portable and this really is the answer for that as you can take it anywhere with you and not notice any real weight in your bag.

The screen is really good as is the touchpad and keyboard - smooth feeling and not too much travel. The CD/DVD drive is a slot one like an on the new Apple's.

Try and get the nine-cell battery if you can as it lifts the laptop at the back so typing feels more natural with it and you can squeeze 5 - 6 hour sout of it when doing a little internet work and some light word processing. Expect 4 hours out of at the very least when doing more demanding stuff though the 6 cell is quite good too as long as you mange the power settings properly. I about 3 hours out of it for internet and word processing.

There is a slight bug with it that Microsoft are fixing though - it's a vista thing....the sound in all media players can skip sometimes which is annoying more than anything. An update is being done to clear that bug, or so I have read anyway.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

How long did delivery take for yours?

About 7 working days (i'm in Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Im very happy with mine, i dont have it that long, just a few weeks.
    Still getting used to vista on it, haven't tried any games yet.
    It is well designed and i havent found any problems with it yet.

• Advertisement

Arrived this morning. Posting from it now. I'm very very pleased with it. It looks amazing. The LED display is absolutly amazing. It takes a bit of getting used to since I'm used to looking at a 19" display. It has a surprisingly high resolution for what I would have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I got myself one of these recently and have to say I love it. I got a great deal off the outlet store (at least it was at the time I ordered it, few weeks ago now). I got a CORE 2 DUO T7300 2.00GHz, 200 GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, the LED screen with cam, upgraded graphics card and internal bluetooth thingy for 1150 delivered. I added in a 3yrs international service for 150 (cos I intend to travel with it).

The unit was delivered within a few days and appeared to my eyes to be completely new - all freshly wrapped, down to the little plastic stickie over the touch control strip. One fun bit of ordering from the outlet store is wondering if you are going to get any extras - the description of the unit only covers the major things like cpu, HD, memory etc. In my case I got the fingerprint scanner - yay :) Not something I would have ordered myself but now I have it, I love it - much easier to log in with than typing a password :)

Cheers,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Got mine today, delighted with it.
    Core 2 Duo T7300 2ghz
    2GB ram,
    160gb hdd
    the usual other bits and pieces like dvd burner
    But I was really happy to see it had a Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb RAM gfx card and a 9 cell battery. All for €830 incl. vat.

the bad news it's not for me :( It's a xmas present. I wish I got it for myself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mcic

I just got my XPS M1330 today - a few questions for anybody else who has one:
    • What's included:
      I got the standard remote, sleeve, cloth, binder, cds and manauls, but also a small empty box, about 15cm x 15cm, with foam inserts to protect something in the shape of a square with the bottom right corner cut out - but it's empty! Any idea what should have been inside? (on the bottom of the box there's a code printed on it - 5858D A03, and on the side "Ship Code: 70").
    • DVD Drive noise:
      When I press the power button there's a loud whine from the DVD drive, as if it's trying to spin up, even though there's nothing in it. Not a problem really, just a bit annoying.

Apart from those two things, it seems pretty good. The keyboard layout is a bit hard to get used to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

mcic wrote: »
    I got the standard remote, sleeve, cloth, binder, cds and manauls, but also a small empty box, about 15cm x 15cm, with foam inserts to protect something in the shape of a square with the bottom right corner cut out - but it's empty! Any idea what should have been inside? (on the bottom of the box there's a code printed on it - 5858D A03, and on the side "Ship Code: 70").
    I got that too. Havent a clue what's supposed to be inside. Don't worry, nothing's missing...(afaik)

In relation to the drive noise - a slot-load drive will make a small whine on loading/ejecting, which if you're not used to one, could be described as 'noisy'. It makes the same noise on startup, presumably as part of the laptop checking if a CD is present. for what it's worth, my M1330 is no noiser than any slot-loader ive owned.

However, it's possible you're experiencing a louder noise than normal - which i believe has happened to some M1330 owners. Possibly a faulty (or just noisy) drive. I couldnt tell you which without hearing your particular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I got that too. Havent a clue what's supposed to be inside. Don't worry, nothing's missing...(afaik)

In relation to the drive noise - a slot-load drive will make a small whine on loading/ejecting, which if you're not used to one, could be described as 'noisy'. It makes the same noise on startup, presumably as part of the laptop checking if a CD is present. for what it's worth, my M1330 is no noiser than any slot-loader ive owned.

However, it's possible you're experiencing a louder noise than normal - which i believe has happened to some M1330 owners. Possibly a faulty (or just noisy) drive. I couldnt tell you which without hearing your particular one.

Just to say I got that box as well - I came to the conclusion Dell are using it as a bit of ad-hoc packing :D And yes, the slot loader is clunky!

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that the empty box may just have been used for packaging, since the outer box is a bit bigger than the sytrofoam packaging around the laptop, a bit random though. I was a going to call them up to find out if there should have been something inside, but couldn't face a call with the dell customer service people and trying to explain everything to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I just got my XPS M1330 today - a few questions for anybody else who has one:
    • What's included:
    • DVD Drive noise:
      When I press the power button there's a loud whine from the DVD drive, as if it's trying to spin up, even though there's nothing in it. Not a problem really, just a bit annoying.

Apart from those two things, it seems pretty good. The keyboard layout is a bit hard to get used to though.

Got that box too,
    I assumed a component from the laptop had been in it like the graphics card.
    Didnt think too much of it at the time.
    It could well be just a form of packaging, dunno really.
    I managed to dual boot xp on mine yesterday so im happy out now.

Do the earphones come as standard with all M1330s? I didn't get any with mine but noticed that they're listed as being an in-the-box accessory on the Dell website. They're probably crap, but I'd still like to have them if I was supposed to have gotten them.

• Advertisement

Do the earphones come as standard with all M1330s? I didn't get any with mine but noticed that they're listed as being an in-the-box accessory on the Dell website. They're probably crap, but I'd still like to have them if I was supposed to have gotten them.

I filled in a missing part form on the Dell.ie website yesterday about my missing Vista installation CD and ear buds - got an e-mail this evening saying that my order is being prepared for dispatch.

Advertisement