Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JD Sports!!

• 04-06-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

So I need to have a serious rant over JD sports coz I'm so frickin P*ssed off with them right now. At Christmas I decided to order my last bits and pieces for my son and hubby. I went to pay for my order and was told that there was an error and that no money had been taken from my payment method.... so I logged onto my online banking only to find that they had taken every cent off me for the order. When I'd got in contact with them they told me that the money was only pending and would be back in my account the next day. So the next day I log on to online banking to find there was still no refund in my account. So I rang them back only to be told that it can take up to five working days! (this was five days before Christmas) So I'm down 150 euro and extra pressies for the son and hubby!! The money finally went back into my account on the 29th Dec! (no good to me then but how or never) Now I know I should have learned my lesson by now and never order from JD again but what does muggins here do?!? Order from them again! my son's Birthday is next week and I don't have the time to get to the shops so said I'd order some bits and pieces online! I made my order with JD sports and once again the same thing happens - 'we're sorry an error has occurred and no payment has been taken from you'..... log onto my online banking and once again the payment is pending in my account! so I'm now down 200 quid it's my sons birthday next week and i'm going to have to go through this same rigmarole again! I'm really fecked off at this point and would really appreciate any advice possible on this matter! Surely they should have sorted out this payment glitch by now! It's beyond ridiculous! TIA for any advice :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Its not JD Sports fault its the bank fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

This literally happened to me with JD Sports multiple times over the last few weeks, with multiple cards, so it isn't the bank's fault at all.

I emailed them and they said that the likelihood is that the item is either out of stock and errantly showing up, or that someone bought the remaining stock whilst I was in the checkout process. They apologized but couldn't do anything else. It only seemed to happen on sale items though, I bought full price trainers and they were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Its not JD Sports fault its the bank fault.

Nope...its not the OPs banks fault. JD Sports instruct the transaction to the op's bank. This happens pretty much straightaway. JD Sports then have the cash and have to transfer the money back to the OPs bank. Its usual in these situations for retailers to sit on the cash.

2 reasons for this - (1)improves their cashflow temporarily. (2) Retailers would only send refunds weekly as volumes would be quite small compared to payments, and in a lot of cases, they would be done manually (or at least in a more manual process than charges)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

daheff wrote: »
    Nope...its not the OPs banks fault. JD Sports instruct the transaction to the op's bank. This happens pretty much straightaway. JD Sports then have the cash and have to transfer the money back to the OPs bank. Its usual in these situations for retailers to sit on the cash.

2 reasons for this - (1)improves their cashflow temporarily. (2) Retailers would only send refunds weekly as volumes would be quite small compared to payments, and in a lot of cases, they would be done manually (or at least in a more manual process than charges)

Absolute rubbish - firstly it's a "hold" so no-one has the benefit of the money.
    Secondly it's the payment processor that deducts or hold the payment upon clicking the "confirm order" button - if it's a payment rather than a hold, the seller receives the payment up to 2 days after.

As for refunds it works the exact same way - retailer clicks refund and it comes off their account immediately but just the same way, it takes up to 2 days to appear on customer card.

I run a decent size online operation and know intricately how the payment systems work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Check your online banking, there should be two amounts, what's available and what's pending/authorized or some variant of the above.

• Advertisement

delahuntv wrote: »
    I run a decent size online operation and know intricately how the payment systems work.

Congratulations on how your decent sized operation works.

I am speaking from experience in working in the area over a number of years with a large pan european operation.

How you operate is not the only way businesses operate(especially larger operations) - also the way the company I work with isnt the only way.

Not every business has an online payment portal with realtime processing. As I mentioned, a number of operations would process payments in batches (either via terminal, or an upload to a PSP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

daheff wrote: »
    Not every business has an online payment portal with realtime processing. As I mentioned, a number of operations would process payments in batches (either via terminal, or an upload to a PSP).

I don't think there is any company operating online that does not use realtime processing. - Unless they physically hold your details on their own systems which unless you are 100% certain of the retailer, I'd be very wary about. And even then, processing is done in reatime when goods are being dispatched.

Batches these days (and for the past 10+ years) are done automatically every night.

Refunds are a click of a mouse once approved and automatically batched that night.

The only way a refund can be delayed in an internal aproval process.

Batches these days (and for the past 10+ years) are done automatically every night.
    CAN be -not necessarily are. How do you process your batch if your connection is down ?
    Refunds are a click of a mouse once approved and automatically batched that night.

The only way a refund can be delayed in an internal aproval process.

And internal approval process can be that you sit on the funds for a few days, or is only run on a certain day of the week to aid reconciliations etc.

The other issue that can delay refunds is that usually its the MSP transferring funds to the retailer. Where refunds are concerned its funds moving the opposite way. Not all retailers would transfer funds to the MSP in good time to allow the refund be released back to the customer.

In my experience MSPs cannot work on a 'net' basis and require either a DD to be processed or funds be directly transferred to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Happened me twice with this website and happened to my boyfriend last week. Pain in the ass without the cash for a week. But as someone mentioned it seems to be mainly with sale stock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

just want to say its happened to me there, rang them they then told me to ring my bank, rang my bank who needed to have a confirm email from jd to take the money back, rang jd again to tell them what my bank need but nope they dont want to send my bank the certain details to refund the process for security reasons ( name, last 4 digits of my card date of purchase etc)

so now i have to wait the 10 days to get my money back, i have never had any issue like this with any other company, usually if there is an error i just have to try again and its fine, i dont see why this is the only company to take the money out of the account before the purchase has been accepted, its a joke

• Advertisement

Hococop unless JD took the money it normally goes back into your account within 5 working days. Has the money been debited or is it a pending transaction

Hococop unless JD took the money it normally goes back into your account within 5 working days. Has the money been debited or is it a pending transaction

Its a pending transaction, its shows incomplete payment, but the money is not in my account ( had 90 now only 30) I will get it back in 5-10 days but its the hassle of it, never had an issue like this with any other company usually if there is an issue I just have to try again

Talking to them what happens is the company automatically accepts the payment and cancels it straight away if an item is not in stock, so the money is taken from my account and is stuck in limbo till the money is debited back into my account 7-10 working days later

I'd say u will more than likely get it back in 3-5 but you are right ,they are a shower to deal with

I'd say u will more than likely get it back in 3-5 but you are right ,they are a shower to deal with

Yeah I will get it back, problem is I don't have enough money in my account to buy the other items in stock and by the time I get my money back I run the risk of it happening again, can't see why they can't have it set up like Amazon

Advertisement