Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

i had my bike stolen today. it was a black hybrid racer with mountain bike type handlebars (bullet written on the main diagnonal bar)
    i only got it last week as a birthday present from my wife so i am really pissed off!!
    Where do these scumbags sell the bikes? do they go to a local second hand bike store or sell them on the likes of buyandsell?
    would even buy it back if i could find it for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

what was the bike locked with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

On my run home along the royal canal on Friday last there was a couple of scobes drinking cans at the locks in Phisboro. Two bikes - a bright white CUBE MTB I'd say brand new and a Felt red and white racing bike, bit of wear and tear on this, lying at their feet. They didn't look like bike enthusiasts but I could be wrong. I had a trawl of boards and the web in general but haven't seen either listed as stolen.
    If you know anyone knows if these bikes missing. They are in the Phibsboro cabra area and if I see them again I will notify gardai.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    On my run home along the royal canal on Friday last there was a couple of scobes drinking cans at the locks in Phisboro. Two bikes - a bright white CUBE MTB I'd say brand new and a Felt red and white racing bike, bit of wear and tear on this, lying at their feet. They didn't look like bike enthusiasts but I could be wrong. I had a trawl of boards and the web in general but haven't seen either listed as stolen.
    If you know anyone knows if these bikes missing. They are in the Phibsboro cabra area and if I see them again I will notify gardai.

Unless the gardai have been contacted with bikes fitting that description they pry won't listen to you as your judging them on their looks. I've seen plenty of scobie looking people buying decent bikes in my LBS, I've heard of plenty of well dressed bike thieves, worth asking have they had bikes of those descriptions stolen though but they'd have to be pretty ballsy to hang out in the same area that they stole the bikes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Malenfant

The Gardai do their best so give em a chance!!!

That´s the biggest problem here in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Malenfant wrote: »

Yeah, sure they are.

30 bikes go missing every month in D2 alone. Nothing is being done about it.

I had a video of the thief who stole my bike, and I've heard nothing back from them. It's a disgrace :rolleyes:

Malenfant wrote: »

I wasn't having a go at them, if you read my post I was saying they pry won't call down unless bikes fitting those descriptions have been reported to the local station or there is a reason to be suspicious. It is worth reporting if there is more to go on than their looks. The Gardai do a difficult job and I have a great respect for them, I was just pointing out that looking like a scobie isn't enough of a justification for a call out by them in case the poster thought that it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

John_Mc wrote: »
    Yeah, sure they are.

30 bikes go missing every month in D2 alone. Nothing is being done about it.

I had a video of the thief who stole my bike, and I've heard nothing back from them. It's a disgrace :rolleyes:
    Have you chased the gardai about it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Planet-X Uncle John cross bike, stolen from my house in Clonsilla today. Expected to be in the hands of local scumbags.

Currently wearing 23/28mm slicks front/rear, dent in the top tube.

PM me if you have info. Please no discussion of how this happened, thanks.

a1rfuw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnDeBanks

Hi All,
    My Giant Rapid 2 was stolen last night. It was locked to bike stand in a locked bike shed outside my apartment building in Dublin 4. They cut the bike stand and took the bike locking the door behind them leading me to suspect it was one of my neighbours or a former tenant who has a key.

The bike is the same as the one below it has brackets fitted on it for:
    Blackburn Delphi 4.0 bike computer
    Cateye HL-EL220 Front Light
    Wowow Rear 5 LED Light
    Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 lock (probably still locked to the rear wheel and frame)

It has a Samui Air Zound Horn fitted.

If anyone has any information or sees the bike please PM me.

Thanks.

Rapid_2_blue_black_white_GE.jpg

• Advertisement

OnDeBanks wrote: »
    Hi All,
    My Giant Rapid 2 was stolen last night. It was locked to bike stand in a locked bike shed outside my apartment building in Dublin 4. They cut the bike stand and took the bike locking the door behind them leading me to suspect it was one of my neighbours or a former tenant who has a key.

Does it have those handle bars on it or drops? And what part of Dublin 4 Ringsend/Ballsbridge/merrion? I have lived in that area before and pass through it for work so i'll keep an eye out.

Thanks Cram.
    Ballsbridge/Sandymount. It has those handlebars.

Thanks Cram.
    Ballsbridge/Sandymount. It has those handlebars.

No probs, I'll keep an eye out, pass through on my own steed a few times a week. Sorry for your loss. I'll PM you ASAP if anything is seen, any chance you have a frame number?

EDIT: or distinguishing scratches?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi All,

The bike is the same as the one below it has brackets fitted on it for:
    Blackburn Delphi 4.0 bike computer
    Cateye HL-EL220 Front Light
    Wowow Rear 5 LED Light
    Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 lock (probably still locked to the rear wheel and frame)

It has a Samui Air Zound Horn fitted.

If anyone has any information or sees the bike please PM me.

Thanks.

Any chance you could use an image that isn't quite so large?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/600/2010/Rapid_2_blue_black_white_GE.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't find a smaller image.

CramCycle wrote: »
    No probs, I'll keep an eye out, pass through on my own steed a few times a week. Sorry for your loss. I'll PM you ASAP if anything is seen, any chance you have a frame number?

EDIT: or distinguishing scratches?

I'm fairly sure I have it on the receipt at home. I'll have to check after work. No other identifying marks that I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 markrusk

Hi folks.
    Both my girlfriend's bike and mine were stolen from the same shed at the same time as OnDeBanks bike 2 nights ago (Ballsbridge/Sandymount area).

They were:

- Ridley Tempo Ladies Cruiser
    - Claude Butler Roubaix

The Ridley in particular is very distinctive with the sloping crossbar and flat handlebars.

If anyone sees either of them please PM me.

167171.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

I'd be grateful if folk could keep their eye out for a Navy Blue Giant FCR 1 - stolen on Wed night from a secure bike shed in the basement of Hampton Square on Navan Road, Dublin 7.

The guys cut through the metal bike stand, as they thought that'd be easier than getting through my juicy lock. Still not sure how they got into the shed as I discovered it when I went down on Friday morn & it seems they did their dirty work on Wednesday night. They may have been ex-key holders!

Looks like they cleaned out the shed - as there were around 2 bikes left (incl. my hack!) when I 1st discovered the sene this morning - normally the shed is packed with around 10 to 12 bikes!!

The Giant FCR 1 looks like this but, mine has Mavic Askium wheels & reversible SPD pedals. Any help to track my baby down (or the scum who pinched it) would be appreciated.
    DV

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm sorry to hear that Don. I used to live in Hampton Square prior to moving to my current place. The bike sheds there are a joke. They were broken into while I was there as well. After it happened my neighbour in the opposite apartment showed me how rather than replacing the gate/lock into the bike shed the management company simply bent the forced gate/lock back into position. He pointed out that as a result it was structurally weak and easier to get into should someone try the same thing again. There were constant notes from the management company and Gardai that several ground floor apartments had been burgled. It seemed it was a fairy regular thing which is a shame as it's a really nice complex.

Although it was against the rules I just kept my bike in the apartment. I know it doesn't help now but get onto the management company that this is a semi-regular thing and completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

Interestingly enough about the bike theft going on in Dublin is that I have never been offered a stolen bike or don't know anyone who has been.

Where the hell are all these bikes going, surely these thefts aren't all been done by junkies looking for a quick sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

doc1976 wrote: »
    Interestingly enough about the bike theft going on in Dublin is that I have never been offered a stolen bike or don't know anyone who has been.

Where the hell are all these bikes going, surely these thefts aren't all been done by junkies looking for a quick sale.
    Id say there more sold as parts more then the full bike,

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Incubu

My Klein Attitude Comp was stolen in the early hours of Monday 18th of July an I'm absolutely gutted. It was taken from the Charlotte Quay apartments on the Ringsend road.
    The colour is the same as in the picture but all the components are different. The frame is extra small. It has a distinctive gold Hope rear hub and an Exotic rigid carbon fork that looks like a suspension fork.
    I'm pretty sure this bike is unique in Ireland so hopefully one of you will spot it.
    Thanks.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Klein&Model=Attitude+Comp&Type=bike
    BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Klein&Model=Attitude+Comp&Type=bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Incubu wrote: »
    My Klein Attitude Comp was stolen in the early hours of Monday 18th of July an I'm absolutely gutted. It was taken from the Charlotte Quay apartments on the Ringsend road.

Grarrrgggh! Blast these thieves! There are not too many Kleins around at all (got some myself). I'm in that general area, I'll keep an eye out, although you'd wonder if they keep them in the area if they are doing it "professionally". What were the circumstances of the theft?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

doc1976 wrote: »

Stolen by scum, sold to scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Incubu

check_six wrote: »
    Grarrrgggh! Blast these thieves! There are not too many Kleins around at all (got some myself). I'm in that general area, I'll keep an eye out, although you'd wonder if they keep them in the area if they are doing it "professionally". What were the circumstances of the theft?

It was stolen from outside the front door of my apartment. Like an idiot I'd forgotten to lock it. The man at the management company has the guy on CCTV taking it two minutes after the security guard went off duty. Clearly he'd seen the bike earlier and waited for the security guard to go. These and other details point to it being either somebody who lives in the block or a friend of somebody in the block.

Definitely wasn't some drunken idiot so I'm hoping it'll show up for sale somewhere online.

I'm riding my brother's crappy Giant Boulder to get to work and it's breaking my heart (as well as killing my arse!)

I really appreciate you keeping an eye out. If you spot anything please PM me or if it isn't too much hassle phone Irishtown Garda Station at 6669600.

Thanks again.

Incubu wrote: »
    It was stolen from outside the front door of my apartment. Like an idiot I'd forgotten to lock it. The man at the management company has the guy on CCTV taking it two minutes after the security guard went off duty. Clearly he'd seen the bike earlier and waited for the security guard to go. These and other details point to it being either somebody who lives in the block or a friend of somebody in the block.

Definitely wasn't some drunken idiot so I'm hoping it'll show up for sale somewhere online.

I'm riding my brother's crappy Giant Boulder to get to work and it's breaking my heart (as well as killing my arse!)

I really appreciate you keeping an eye out. If you spot anything please PM me or if it isn't too much hassle phone Irishtown Garda Station at 6669600.

Thanks again.

Dont forget to keep a eye on carboot sales and markets around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

Out of interest, is there anyone mapping all these thefts? It would be interesting to see if there is any trend. Could be useful info for the gardai and for us of course!!

+1 to that idea but i dont have the time.... but be very intresting to see it all on a map!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedRobert

Guys

picked up my brand new GIANT XTC mountain bike yesterday and cycled to work today - stolen within 5 mins of getting to work.

This bike was brand new, red and black, size medium, had dual BBB pedals and the only tell tale sign I seen was a small while mark on the bar than runs from the bottom bracket to the derailer at the back.

I am gutted. If you see this, please contact me on 0877441657.

Thanks
    Ronan :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

stolen from where?

Advertisement