Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N2 - Slane Bypass [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Nice dismissal of all the preceding quotes, Monument - "they don't suit my case so I'll ignore".

Of course the inspector would, to ensure all the "I"s were dotted and "t"s crossed. You have to remember that in what I believe to be a unique situation the hearing had two Senior Counsel, one an ex-Attorney General, opposing the bypass. they were watching for anything they saw as insufficient and the question of a High Court appeal had already been raised. This further study would have gone some way to nullify their arguments but rather than listen to their inspectors, who after all had a month's experience of the hearing, all the docs, visual inspections etc. ABP just kicked it out. Pity the Slane people couldn't have afforded their own Senior Counsel but as always in this country, money talks.

What a confused post?!

You're annoyed that the survey was not done and it was just kicked out, but you're also anoyed at me when my position is the survay should be conducted?

A bypass is all well and good in years to come, but if you really care about safety, it's time to start looking for a HGV ban. You can try to debate about a bypass or quote anything you want here or politically or legally until the cows come home, but a HGV ban is a far more realistic in the short to mid term than a bypass is.

I have sympathy for people living in Slane, but in saying that it's also time to go beyond the 'your way or the highway' point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Slane Resident

no, Monument, I'm just tired of listening to people misrepresent the situation. You said the HGV ban wasn't considered. I showed it was.

I note you're spouting Save Newgrange's party line, by the way - "if you really care about safety". Do you have any idea how insulting that is to the people who live in Slane, who have to drive on one of the most dangerous roads in the country on a daily basis, whose kids' school is actually on the N2? If there were a quick-fix solution to this we'd have jumped at it years ago. I marched for a solution (not a bypass, just a solution) ten years ago when David Garcey was killed. I'll take anything - but I will not be responsible for an action which transfers the risk to another place.

The opponents to the bypass, who misrepresented the facts, and the ABP members, may be able to live with their consciences if they turn on the news and hear of another death. If we push for a HGV ban that we know will move the lorries onto unsuitable rural roads, and I hear of a death in Stackallen, I wouldn't be able to live with that.

I suppose that's the difference between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The only realistically safe route for traffic to go to Ardee and beyond without having to pay the toll will be through the main R132 route over the bridge of peace in Drogheda. Or perhaps through Navan, but then use the rather poor roads between the N2 and N3. Which leads me to the Stackallen bridge. I propose anyone discussing this as an alternative to look at the google maps images of the roads in the area before seriously suggesting it. And the bridge at Oldbridge is not even theoretically possible for use for HGVs between the 3 tonne weight restriction on the bridge and how the canal bridge a little further up that road would need to be entirely rebuilt also before larger trucks could even turn on it. And the road infrastructure between Oldbridge and Drogheda on the southern side would also need significant work and widening in various cases, either to bring it to the Donore road or to bring it to the Rathmullen road.

Now those situations are all dependent on there being an EU-level decision ensuring some provision of an alternative route for roads. And what counts as an alternative route or not (i.e. how far out if the way it is).

The inspector's report words the issue in quite a particular way. He explored it from the angle of whether a HGV ban would work or not and appeared to exhaust this issue before putting it to the board. But ABP will have an awkward situation if a detailed traffic study does take place and demonstrates exactly what residents in general have claimed. That there is a somewhat significant level of HGV traffic going through Slane.

Also, I cannot fathom why Monument claimed that a HGV ban was not considered in the planning application. The letter from Meath Co. Co.'s director of infrastructure shows it was at least considered and subsequently dismissed. Even if a survey wasn't conducted. And no one needs an origin/destination survey to see that Roadstone's traffic will in all likelihood need to pass through Slane.

no, Monument, I'm just tired of listening to people misrepresent the situation. You said the HGV ban wasn't considered. I showed it was.

I posted this a few posts back, nothing you have said changes it:

The inspector said "why a HGV ban was not considered" -- you should note that when ABP says considered, they mean fully considering. Not the half arsed attempts which were attempted.

It is not me who has misrepresent the situation, it is the people who have chained that a HGV ban is impossable before they fully look at the situation.

I note you're spouting Save Newgrange's party line, by the way - "if you really care about safety".

No, try sling mud all you like, but unlike them I am not against the idea of a bypass of any kind. As already said I would share the inspector's fear that the NRA were up to over engineering again -- or as he put it, they did not look in detail at lower spec bypass options.

Do you have any idea how insulting that is to the people who live in Slane, who have to drive on one of the most dangerous roads in the country on a daily basis, whose kids' school is actually on the N2? If there were a quick-fix solution to this we'd have jumped at it years ago. I marched for a solution (not a bypass, just a solution) ten years ago when David Garcey was killed. I'll take anything - ....

A HGV ban is not a quick-fix solution. It takes time to look at it correctly, defend it against oppsition and roll in out. But would be a lot quicker than waiting for a bypass.

And if needed, it's quite possible extra traffic calming could also be put in place to slow traffic down cars and smaller trucks.

nobut I will not be responsible for an action which transfers the risk to another place.

The opponents to the bypass, who misrepresented the facts, and the ABP members, may be able to live with their consciences if they turn on the news and hear of another death. If we push for a HGV ban that we know will move the lorries onto unsuitable rural roads, and I hear of a death in Stackallen, I wouldn't be able to live with that.

I suppose that's the difference between us.

Thanks, but I've seen enough dead or nearly dead people crushed on the side of the road to last a lifetime, so I'd perfer if you would kindly stop accusing me of wanting more death and injoury on the roads.

As the inspector says, looking at a ban for the bridge at Slane cannot be done in isolation. A ban would also have to include unsuitable routes.

The only realistically safe route for traffic to go to Ardee and beyond without having to pay the toll will be through the main R132 route over the bridge of peace in Drogheda. Or perhaps through Navan, but then use the rather poor roads between the N2 and N3. Which leads me to the Stackallen bridge. I propose anyone discussing this as an alternative to look at the google maps images of the roads in the area before seriously suggesting it. And the bridge at Oldbridge is not even theoretically possible for use for HGVs between the 3 tonne weight restriction on the bridge and how the canal bridge a little further up that road would need to be entirely rebuilt also before larger trucks could even turn on it. And the road infrastructure between Oldbridge and Drogheda on the southern side would also need significant work and widening in various cases, either to bring it to the Donore road or to bring it to the Rathmullen road.

IF you think safety is really that big of an issue, get HGVs to use the M1 and M3 (by what ever means -- change of law if you somehow that that's needed, exclusions from paying the toll or whatever) and then ban any unsuitable river crossing with HGVs between them.

IF you think safety is not an issue, that's fine, you can wait for how many years a bypass takes.

Now those situations are all dependent on there being an EU-level decision ensuring some provision of an alternative route for roads. And what counts as an alternative route or not (i.e. how far out if the way it is).

Please do point to this -- it if was an EU-level decision, it'll be on the EU's website.

The inspector's report words the issue in quite a particular way. He explored it from the angle of whether a HGV ban would work or not and appeared to exhaust this issue before putting it to the board. But ABP will have an awkward situation if a detailed traffic study does take place and demonstrates exactly what residents in general have claimed. That there is a somewhat significant level of HGV traffic going through Slane.

Let's get this right the inspector exhausted at the same time as calling for a traffic study? :confused:

Also, I cannot fathom why Monument claimed that a HGV ban was not considered in the planning application. The letter from Meath Co. Co.'s director of infrastructure shows it was at least considered and subsequently dismissed. Even if a survey wasn't conducted. And no one needs an origin/destination survey to see that Roadstone's traffic will in all likelihood need to pass through Slane.

Because those are the the ABP's inspector's words, even if he means not fully considered, he said not considered, that's the way ABP talk. They don't like mucking about with half looking at something and then taking it as a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tuathal

Nice dismissal of all the preceding quotes, Monument - "they don't suit my case so I'll ignore".

Quotes from the Inspector's report are worthless. The board has discretion to do what it wants - and according even to the NRA, the board has ruled out a bypass entirely. So, if even they admit defeat, why are you ignoring that key fact here?
    You have to remember that in what I believe to be a unique situation the hearing had two Senior Counsel, one an ex-Attorney General, opposing the bypass. they were watching for anything they saw as insufficient and the question of a High Court appeal had already been raised... Pity the Slane people couldn't have afforded their own Senior Counsel but as always in this country, money talks.

Yes, pork barrel money does talk - and stink!

hardingcowen.jpg(Brian Cown being 'entertained' at the Village Inn, Slane, hosted by local councillor, Wayne Harding (FF) just before the NRA decided to change its mind and proceed with the bypass)

Jesus, you are good at playing the victim, I will give you that. The (golden circle of FF) people of Slane had the Taoiseach roll into town, gave him a few pints in the village inn, and then all of a sudden the NRA decided to publish an EIA for the bypass, even though they had just gotten finished writing to the Council and telling them that they had no money for it - and were in the process of preparing to implement the HGV ban.

The NRA wasted tens of millions of public money putting in this faulty EIA. They paid top dollar for the 'best' engineers, archaeologists, and a veritable hoard of other consultants - not to mention the cost of An Board Pleanala having to put a small army to work on this too. The Council hired Dermot Flanaghan SC, and other lawyers to argue their case - while the publc had no resources to fight this. Nearly every single sumission by the public was done without representation of any kind.

Public money should now be spent holding an inquiry into what really went on between the NRA, the Council, the Taoiseach, and local Fianna Failers like Harding, and Thomas Byrne.

• Advertisement

monument wrote:
    Please do point to this -- it if was an EU-level decision, it'll be on the EU's website.
    I didn't say that there was a decision out there which made it so; I said that my point was predicated on there being such a ruling. The only source I've seen of this "free alternative route" principle is an earlier post which did not appear to be challenged. I happen to think the principle is inherently fair in that if people *must* pay a toll to go from A to B it constitutes a tax on those road users in my mind and I don't agree with that on top of motor tax. In any case, the R132 through Julianstown is somewhat safer than Slane if trucks do want to use a toll-free route so a free alternative does exist for much of the traffic (IMO).
    Let's get this right the inspector exhausted at the same time as calling for a traffic study?
    I'm not sure what the confusion here is for, he broached the topic in detail, in as much detail as the validated information he had to hand would allow. This is just my own take on it bear in mind. Anyway, having exhausted the available information he called for more information before making a watertight recommendation. I'm going on what he says. I don't think it's appropriate of anyone to make conclusions on what ABP say purely based on "that's the way ABP talk" either.

Dear God, are we still at the Fianna Fail crap?

Fine Gael/Labour government. Have you noticed?!

It's actually pitiful at this stage. Keep throwing the mud though, because more is sticking to you than anyone else. You're demonstrating the calibre of your arguments (or lack thereof).

Dear God, are we still at the Fianna Fail crap?

Fine Gael/Labour government. Have you noticed?!

It's actually pitiful at this stage. Keep throwing the mud though, because more is sticking to you than anyone else. You're demonstrating the calibre of your arguments (or lack thereof).

Touchy toucy. Did I hit a nerve?

This has all been very well documented by Save Newgrange, who have a refernced timeline of events, showing the abnormalities in the decision-making process that took place in relation to the decision to proceed with the bypass.

Nope, just bored. Been there, done this, regularly. You need to start singing a different tune, it's extremely boring. :rolleyes:

Photo taken outside the building where Biffo attended a meeting, as per Tuathal's photo. Note the unanimous outpouring of support for our Dear and Glorious Leader from the Fianna Fail Bypass Slane Committee.

c41ad7b5.jpg

No? Me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

Save Newgrange? What the hell? I just looked at this on a map and Newgrange is a good deal towards the East AND towards the South of Slane.

Basically, the bypass would have to be several miles out from Slane to get anywhere near Newgrange. Frankly, the more I hear from the "**** Slane" (i.e. anti bypass) people, the more troubling and bizarre the whole thing gets.

• Advertisement

tuathal wrote: »
    Touchy toucy. Did I hit a nerve?

This has all been very well documented by Save Newgrange, who have a refernced timeline of events, showing the abnormalities in the decision-making process that took place in relation to the decision to proceed with the bypass.
    I don't think having FF in govt or FG in govt has any relevance to the objective merits of building a bypass or not.

I don't think having FF in govt or FG in govt has any relevance to the objective merits of building a bypass or not.

You have got to be kidding me. The Slane bypass was seen as the biggest vote-getter in County Meath by both FF and FG, who have been trying to out-do eachother on this one for years. Even Lab tried to hustle in on the action, with that twit of a Senator Dominc Hannigan jumping on board. He was hilarious. Labour said before the election that they would not approve any projects without doing a cost-benefit analysis first. Hannigan promised the bypass anyway, before that was even done.

Look at the timeline. The NRA had written to the Councillors to say they didn't have the money. Then Cowen visits, on the Election trail, and suddenly they do.

Very convincing arguments were made at the oral hearing to show that the real reason that the HGV ban was not implemented was in order to KEEP the HGVs rolling through Slane, in order to have inflated traffic numbers, to justify the bypass.

And all of this was done to inflate the Fianna Fail vote, with Wayne Harding, and Thomas Byrne even hiring a bus to ship locals up to an Oireachtas Transport Committee hearing.

Look at the timeline,
    about half way down the page.

SeanW wrote: »
    Save Newgrange? What the hell? I just looked at this on a map and Newgrange is a good deal towards the East AND towards the South of Slane.

Basically, the bypass would have to be several miles out from Slane to get anywhere near Newgrange. Frankly, the more I hear from the "**** Slane" (i.e. anti bypass) people, the more troubling and bizarre the whole thing gets.

Sorry, but you are grossly misinformed on this one. The NRA, in the EIS, called the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Newgrange/Bru na Boinne." The name refers to the entire site,, not the single tomb.

The bypass was to run within 500m of the boundary. That is why this has been refused by An Bord Pleanala - like it or not...

I didn't say that there was a decision out there which made it so; I said that my point was predicated on there being such a ruling. The only source I've seen of this "free alternative route" principle is an earlier post which did not appear to be challenged. I happen to think the principle is inherently fair in that if people *must* pay a toll to go from A to B it constitutes a tax on those road users in my mind and I don't agree with that on top of motor tax. In any case, the R132 through Julianstown is somewhat safer than Slane if trucks do want to use a toll-free route so a free alternative does exist for much of the traffic (IMO).

Motor tax has no link to the building or upkeep of roads, and it clearly has no link to the use of roads. Road tax was abolished a long time ago.

I'm not sure what the confusion here is for, he broached the topic in detail, in as much detail as the validated information he had to hand would allow. This is just my own take on it bear in mind. Anyway, having exhausted the available information he called for more information before making a watertight recommendation. I'm going on what he says.

Broached the topic in detail without having fairly basic details needed (ie the traffic study to show where HGVs are coming to and from).

I don't think it's appropriate of anyone to make conclusions on what ABP say purely based on "that's the way ABP talk" either.

You are the one who had a problem with what he said (so did Slane Resident, but anyway). I was just explaining that he had said that it hand not been considered, and as I had only quoted him saying that, I then tried to explain that what he fairly clear means is that it has not been considered fully.

You have already correctly pointed out that it was somewhat or partly considered, so I'm not sure how you can take the inspector's words that it was not considered to literary mean it was not considered. What he means it was not considered fully -- that's the way ABP work, they don't like people half arsed looking at alternatives just because the NRA or whoever isn't interested in the alternatives.

But basically you want it every way here. When I quote the inspector's words literary without expanding you get annoyed, and you also get annoyed when I add context.

Sorry, but you are grossly misinformed on this one. The NRA, in the EIS, called the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Newgrange/Bru na Boinne." The name refers to the entire site,, not the single tomb.

The bypass was to run within 500m of the boundary. That is why this has been refused by An Bord Pleanala - like it or not...

You see, this is the crux of the whole thing.

The bypass is 3.5 km away from Newgrange.

Yet Tuathal will still get engaged in semantics like this to pretend Newgrange is in danger, when An Bord Pleanala's own report stated that the new road would not be audible or visible from Newgrange. So I'll leave forum users to draw their own conclusions on that.

While we're at it, Tuathal:
    The proposed bypass will intrude upon the World Heritage Site, directly. It will be visible, audible, and entail demolishing a number of archaeological sites that are related to Newgrange. In addition, it will detract greatly from the amenity value of the site and its setting, which is also protected in law. It will sever the World Heritage Site from the village. ...

You said that the bypass was going to be part of a Dublin-Derry motorway, a “motorway by stealth”, you called it. The inspector’s report stated that:

“The first point to be noted is that the construction of the bypass to motorway standard is no longer under consideration. That would have made sense in the event of the Ashbourne to Ardee section of the N2 being upgraded as part of a comprehensive M2/N2 route. The construction of the Slane Bypass to motorway standards would not therefore make sense as a stand-alone project”.

"A proposal for a motorway scheme from Ashbourne to Ardee was mooted some years ago and this led in 2008 to a proposal to design the Slane bypass to facilitate a motorway upgrade. The current proposal is for a road of a distinctly lower standard, which could not readily be converted to a motorway without significant modifications”.

“A point of particular relevance is the incorporation into the current scheme of three at-grade junctions, which would not be acceptable on a road of motorway standard. The current position, on the basis of information made available at the hearing, is that the Ashbourne to Ardee link has been stood down and that no further work is being done on it”.

You’ve been told that over and over by people who know a lot more about road construction than either of us, but you were dogmatic in your insistence that Slane was not a stand-alone project. Whoops.

You stated, even after the balloon test, that the road would be visible from Newgrange, neglecting to mention that it is only visible if you stand on top of the monument, which is obviously not allowed. Here's a photograph of the balloon test taken from the top of Newgrange, an area not accessible to the public.

eec4a663.jpg

Play "spot the balloon".

Here's the balloon test from Knowth. The arrows mark where the balloons are. I've made it easy for you.

9811c167.jpg

You stated it would be audible from Newgrange. The Inspector’s report says otherwise.

You stated it was a cross-border project. The Inspector’s report says it’s not.

You stated this:

Quote: Originally Posted by tuathal [/FONT][URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68678131#post68678131"[/URL]
    The proposed bypass will intrude upon the World Heritage Site, directly. It will be visible, audible, and entail demolishing a number of archaeological sites that are related to Newgrange.

I asked you which sites were being demolished, you declined to answer.

However, the Inspector’s report does mention the sites within 500 metres of the road, 44 of them, 34 of which would not be affected at all (which bypass supporters continually post, yet Tuathal keeps rabbitting on about the "44 sites" implying they're all going to be concreted over). The majority of the eight which will be impacted are of no significance, some are only "potential" sites. The Inspector was satisfied in this regard. Two of them were fields where lithics and flints were found. Not exactly passage tombs. Most of the impact will be slight.

“The direct impacts would affect a gate and gate lodge at Janeville, which I consider to be of very limited architectural interest. Many of the indirect impacts would be relatively minor and the structures in question are of limited interest”.

Here's the gate:

47bc3146.jpg

The remaining area of major impact would be to a pillbox. Here it is:

865e9fc2.jpg

I’m not even going to get into the whole “Newgrange is Bru na Boinne so if I say Newgrange is going to be built over, that’s okay because even if it’s a farmer’s field 3.5 kilometres away, that still counts” argument.

Oh, and my favourite - that you are instructed by the “real” people of Slane, who don’t want a bypass. Because obviously the people who are asking for a bypass are outside agitators who just come up in every time there’s talk of a road being built and climb trees and cause disruption to insist that the road goes ahead. Oh, maybe I’m mixing that up.

I also notice that anybody who disagrees with you, including MYOB in the earlier pages of this thread, is a Fianna Fail stooge, and I note you were already warned about that by moderators
    Quote (about MYOB):
    Originally Posted by etchyed I trust virtually nothing this government tells me. But you can't assume somebody's a Fianna Fáil supporter/mouthpiece just because they support a road project you disagree with.

I can assume what I like when the person in question is spouting the same nonsense as Fianna Fail and the Government, as is the case here
    MYOB wrote: »
    The only troll around here is you. A manager of a campaign against a road who won't show his cards but claims other people have "vested interests" or are "government mouthpieces" or members of Fianna Fail pretty much defines a troll.

Exactly.

Edited - in amending the font size I seem to have omitted pictures of the archaeological sites that will be impinged upon. Tuathal talks about 44, despite being told that 44 are in proximity to the road but 34 would not be affected at all. The main ones which will be affected are this:

865e9fc2.jpg
    and this:

47bc3146.jpg

I had a quote where the Inspector says they weren't of much significance but I lost it. I think it's self-evident anyway.

Nope, just bored. Been there, done this, regularly. You need to start singing a different tune, it's extremely boring. :rolleyes:

Photo taken outside the building where Biffo attended a meeting, as per Tuathal's photo. Note the unanimous outpouring of support for our Dear and Glorious Leader from the Fianna Fail Bypass Slane Committee.

c41ad7b5.jpg

No? Me neither.

Well, at least you got to have a nice pantomime for yourselves, while the real business was being done in the Village Inn pub.

Permission has been denied. There isn't going to be a bypass, so you can sling all the mud you want SR and MYOB. It ain't sticking.

This is hugely entertaining, but I imagine the 'real' residents of Slane want something done about the HGVs. And if you were a real Slane resident, you would too...

Yes, you might notice the "real" residents of Slane in the Meath Chronicle this week protesting the bypass decision. Of course, we had to bus them in at great expense to the Cumann. :D

You're good for a laugh if nothing else Tuathal.

Going back to fix my appalling font size on my previous post.

You can agree or disagree with tuathal's other points, but he's right that the bypass isn't happening any time soon.

Regardless of the reasons, that's the reality people have to deal with.

Yes, you might notice the "real" residents of Slane in the Meath Chronicle this week protesting the bypass decision. Of course, we had to bus them in at great expense to the Cumann. :D

You're good for a laugh if nothing else Tuathal.

Going back to fix my appalling font size on my previous post.

Of course the residents are pissed off. They put their faith in FF and then FG, and got let down badly. They allowed their village to be used as a toll-bypass, on the false promise of a bypass, and ended up opposing the HGV ban, which would have prevented the next life being lost.

Now they have nothing.

But I have to say, from a personal point of view, I have never met a nastier group of people in my life. Time and again people tried to reason with them, and offered to co-operate on finding a solution that met everyone's needs. Instead, nothing came back but personall abuse, false accusations and aggresive behaviour.

The people of Slane, belonging to that lynch mob, got what they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A HGV ban in Slane still won't address the problem of a grossly substandard 400 year old bridge and the dangerous geometry of the approach roads. Slane needs a bypass and in any other developed country this would have happened decades ago.

Using the Bru na Boinne as a reason to prevent the bypass is a strawman IMO. There seems to be a lot of downright nastiness expressed on this thread.

Of course the residents are pissed off. They put their faith in FF and then FG, and got let down badly. They allowed their village to be used as a toll-bypass, on the false promise of a bypass, and ended up opposing the HGV ban, which would have prevented the next life being lost.

Now they have nothing.

But I have to say, from a personal point of view, I have never met a nastier group of people in my life. Time and again people tried to reason with them, and offered to co-operate on finding a solution that met everyone's needs. Instead, nothing came back but personall abuse, false accusations and aggresive behaviour.

The people of Slane, belonging to that lynch mob, got what they deserve.

Firstly, you've done your usual and ignored my post above. When in doubt, change the subject and if you can attack someone else, even better.

Secondly, at least you can stop pretending to have any interest whatsoever in the "nasty group of people" in Slane.

Thirdly, I was reading over the beginning of this particular thread and I note someone, I think it was Spongebob, posted a link in which you admitted on another thread on this forum that you were a member of Save Newgrange. Funnily enough, there's a second link on this thread to another thread which deals with the personal attacks and censorship on the Save Newgrange Facebook site, something which was also dealt with in the newspapers.

"personall abuse, false accusations and aggresive behaviour" is right (except I'd have probably spelled a few words differently but hey, you're under stress) but not on the Slane peoples side.

You also seem to gloss over the fact that there are two distinct organisations in Slane working for the bypass. Once was set up after David Garvey's appalling death in 2001 and the other after this accident in 2009:

22694b47.jpg

8b7bbd34.jpg

Are they all Fianna Fail stooges?

Oh, and in your post above you refer to Fianna Fail, then to Labour, then to Fine Gael. So what you're saying is that there's cross-party support for the bypass.

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

But I have to say, from a personal point of view, I have never met a nastier group of people in my life. Time and again people tried to reason with them, and offered to co-operate on finding a solution that met everyone's needs.
    Who are "people?" Save Newgrange?

Did your "solution" basically entail "You little people should be happy with an HGV ban?"

if so, I certainly understand why they were:
    belonging to that lynch mob
    They allowed their village to be used as a toll-bypass
    How? The N2 was always there, was always the signed main road from Dublin to Monaghan and Derry. The N1 route was upgraded to Motorway and it is now - only as a result of upgrades to the N1 route, that it is generally considered a good idea that Dublin-Derry traffic to use M1-N33-N2.

How could those evil lynch mobs of Slane suddenly decide to let their village be a toll-dodging rat run for Dublin-Monaghan/Derry traffic when it always was the main road for Dublin-Monaghan/Derry?

Well, at least you got to have a nice pantomime for yourselves, while the real business was being done in the Village Inn pub.

Conyngham Arms. I note that doesn't fit in with the Fianna Fail diatribe, but you're not familiar with Slane so I'll forgive you. The Conyngham Arms is the hotel that those protestors are picketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 npr240

Surely it is now time to look at alternative ways of reducing traffic using the N2 through Slane. The primary rationale for the development of the bypass was the unsafe nature of the existing road. However, the bypass was always going to be problematic from a planning perspective due to the way in which the motorway network was developed in the North East. With the M1 and the M3 already serving the north east region and beyond, its hard to see how another dual carriageway in County Meath could be justified on the traffic figures. Also, since the development of the M1, the N2 south of Ardee has little if any strategic national importance.

As a short term solution, permanent speed cameras should be installed on either side of the bridge to rigidly enforce the speed limit. Consideration could also be given to expanding the special speed limit zones in order to slow down the traffic travelling through Slane on the N2. Also, a HGV ban might be part of the solution if long distance HGVs can be incentivised/encouraged to use the M1 motorway.

A rerouting of the N2/bypass of Slane might be preferable, but it is simply not going to happen in the short or medium term. In the meantime, steps need to be taken to improve safety on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I you're going to have permanent speed cameras then there needs to be fair speed limits. Having the 30kmph limit as you come into the village from both sides of the N2 is reasonable but why do I need to go that slow for a good bit after i cross the bridge when I'm heading out the village?

I spoke with the Engineer who implemented the road safety measures and it's because of traffic coming out at Fennor Cross onto the N2.

I agree speed cameras would be a good start because there is almost total non-compliance with the speed limit, except for residents.

The one thing though, as John Ryle of the Slane Bridge Action Group has said, is that no speed camera is going to stop a lorry that loses braking power on the hill. it would be a start though and cut out some of the stupid driving at least. The aggressive overtaking of some drivers stuck behind you if you're obeying the 30kmh limit has to be seen to be believed. The lack of enforcement is a disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I concur that Slane requires a bypass. However as demonstrated due consideration has not been given to the western proposal.

This western route has its benefits-
    • It is located further away from Bru na Boinne.
    • It is located closer to existing quarry developments.
    • A longer road will provide more employment directly and indirectly.

It also allows the N51 Road to be detrunked through and east of Slane and for HGV and Bus traffic to be banned in its entirety from the Village. I would also detrunk the entire N2 south of Ardee.

The Hill of Slane is also holy, not to tree huggers and crushties though.

But no amount of treehuggers, crushties and heritage nutters can ever make that old bridge safe so Slane needs a bypass and sadly the likes of Salafia and Sweetman don't care in the least about human beings and their concerns, isn't that right Tuathal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This western route has its benefits-
    A longer road will provide more employment directly and indirectly.
    I had to laugh at that. It's a little specious, don't you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Permission has been denied. There isn't going to be a bypass, so you can sling all the mud you want SR and MYOB. It ain't sticking.

This is hugely entertaining, but I imagine the 'real' residents of Slane want something done about the HGVs. And if you were a real Slane resident, you would too...

...for now that is!

There will inevitably be a Boyne Valley traffic study (along the Boyne from Navan Eastwards) and my prediction is that the result will not mirror what you want - consultants will probably end up recommending a Slane Bypass and the objectors will be found wanting then IMO - we the people of Meath (and therefore democracy) will win in the end. Going by what the ABP inspector was saying, even if there was to be a long distance HGV ban (which would require a new alternative road), the situation in Slane would still not be satisfactory given the locally generated HGV traffic.

You guys really need to get a grip on reality - 20 years from now, I'd imagine there will be a Slane Bypass. You also need to educate yourselves about Meath, its culture and its people - Meath is a living county and is not Disneyland. With this in mind, I would also never want the raw Celtic feel regarding the monuments of Meath to become polluted with staged Irish-ness (far worse than what roads would do IMO) - I say as a Meath man, hands off our heritage - it's belongs to us and the people of Ireland and certainly not a few narrow minded fanatics - some of whom are not even from the country let alone the county!

Regards!

Advertisement