Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with transative/intransative verbs?

• 17-11-2014 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I'd try use this forum a bit more, so one problem I'm having is that when it comes to transative and intransative verbs, I keep stumbling.

So for example, 助ける vs 助かる, or 決める vs 決まる.

I need some way of remembering which is the transative and which is the intransative, anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

As far as I can tell, theres no real formula to remembering which is transitive/intransitive.

The examples you give are kind of straight forward as in it's an え sound turning into an あ sound for intransitive, and the meanings 'to decide' and 'be decided' being similar.

But then for example you have say 入れる (to insert) and 入る (to enter),
    or 消す (to erase) and 消える (to disappear). These examples having no real formula to them.

Only way I remembered was just practice and repetition!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I was only looking through this forum the oter day for info on in/transitive verbs. Generally there seems to be an a/e pattern but then you get things like okiru/okosu which doesn't fit in. One by one, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

As mentioned above, there isn't really any strict formula unfortunately but most of them follow a general pattern. You just need to keep practicing and repeating and eventually you'll get to a stage where you don't even think about whether something is transitive or intransitive - you just know it sounds right/wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ok, thanks everyone! :D

I've found that I've actually had much better luck trying to remember things individually, instead of trying to figure out some patern.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I would say learning them with context, i.e. in example sentences, would help a lot.

Maybe jisho.org, or an app with example sentences is a good place for material.

Eg 入れる http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E5%85%A5%E3%82%8C%E3%82%8B&eng=

入る http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E5%85%A5%E3%82%8C%E3%82%8B&eng=

Obviously there'll be vocab you odnt understand in the example sentences, but just reading to get the sound and meaning into your head would help. I guess!

• Advertisement

My Japanese teacher gave me a table showing the patterns of these verbs and I can't for the life of me find it.. sorry :(
    But yeah, generally it's a matter of 'e' and 'a'. 'E' is done by a person, 'A' happens on its own (not sure if that makes sense to you but it's what my teacher said to me to get me to remember)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Advertisement