Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactley is Firefly/Serenity?

• 24-08-2005 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭

I've been holding it in, but what the hell is this forum for?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

give it about a month and then go see a movie called serenity

then you will be one of us :D

you cant stop the signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

'Firefly' is a sci-fi show that was cancelled midseason a couple years back. Critically acclaimed, but failed to find a large audience. Now it's been brought back as a movie: 'Serenity'. That'll be released October 7th.

I'll let someone else take it from there..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

this has been my desktop for the last year
    Wallpaper-Serenity.jpg

thats serenity, a firefly class transport. the show is about it and its crew of ne'er do wells. its fantastic.

that pic is soooo shiny

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

This does bring up a question I've been wondering about. Why isn't this forum in SciFi rather than hosted?

It took me a while to find it after it was moved from new.

• Advertisement

i think the admins put it here because they thought that if it might lose steam after the movie came out it

we could ask to get it moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

madrab wrote:
    i think the admins put it here because they thought that if it might lose steam after the movie came out it

Put it here because it was easier at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Aye, I will ask cloud to see if he will move it.

To answer the OP Question. Firefly was a SCi-Fi TV show about a ship named Serenity and its crew. Based in a solar system After earth became over populated and all its resorces used. The Crew of Serenity consist of 9 people.

The Captain (Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds) A man who was on the losing side of a Civil war. Facing defeat at the Battle for Serenity Valley, Mal and Zoe where among the only survivors. Later Buying a Firefly Class Transport ship (see the pic above) He gets a crew together consisting of a Polite, An Engineer, His Second in command and a higher gun. Later Taking on passengers of a Sheppard (Holy man) and a Doctor and his sister. Oh and a whore

Zoe Warren (Mals Second in command and Washes Wife) Zoe has been with Mal for the start. She loyal and a warrior. She fights with a lot of people to put it one way.

Hoban "Wash" Washburn (Polite and Zoe's Husband) Wash is a very strange and very loveable character. A fondness for Toy Dinosaurs and Witty replies

Kaywinnit "Kaylee" Lee Frye (Ships Engineer) Kind of the little sister of the crew. A brilliant engineer and generally the normal one of the lot

Jayne Cobb (The Highered Gun) Jayne is a man all to him-self. He likes money and lots off it. Will Turn on the Captain and crew if the price is right. The Muscle of the crew, he is often given "a big stick" and everyone steps back and watches.

Inara Serra (Companion) Ship's ambassador and companion who is renting space aboard Serenity. She is also know as the Whore

Shepard Meria Book (Holy man) Book is a passenger on Serenity. With out a direction to go in and Just out of his Abby. He ends up hooking up with the crew of Serenity and not leaving.

Dr. Simon Tam (Doctor) Brother to River, ship's doctor and fugitive.

River Tam (Sister to Simon) River is the reason Simon is a Fugitive. She is a slightly crazy girl. But also seems to have an ability to Read minds and sense the passing of people. A small girl with a BIG secret

The Alliance (Government Union of Planets) Also known as Purple bellies. The Alliance where the winning Side of the battle for Serenity Valley. Uniting people under one rule and walking over them as one too.

Revers (savages) Revers are men who live on the edge of known space. Gone mad and savage. They Rape, cannibalize and kill their pray... and if your lucky they will do it in that order!

Man that was alot of typing, I'm stickying this for people in the future. Been meaning to getting around to doing that up :)

• Advertisement

wish i could edit all the spelling mistakes :(

the anal part of me is crying out

Aye sorry about that. Not gotten any sleep really and am a bit recked. Spelling feckups fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Thanks to all, a lot of things have been cleared up! I'll make sure to catch the movie when it comes out.

Not a problem. Also dont forget you can catch the TV show of Firefly on the Sci-Fi Channel or on the DVD's ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

I had that wallpaper too. Then I had a shot of the kitchen set lookin all sad a lonely with nobody in it. Now I have the movie poster.

Saw Serenity last night. I don't think there's a single emotion I didn't experience during it. It's brilliant. And the Firefly-virgin we brought along thought it was great. And Sean Maher and Jewel Staite signed my programme.

Only bad thing is I wanted to go watch it again straight after and now I have to wait ages. Gorram it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I thought it was a very cerebral film. Left me so exhilarated and exausted. What a ride!?

P.S. This is my wallpaper now. I got the individual parts from a website and then just put them all together in Paint.

fantastic pic, i dont like the black between the wanted posters, would be nice on a wooden background with nails holding em down and bullet holes etc etc :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I actually didnt like the movie poster all that much - still want one though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Firefly = "Han Solo the TV series"

They've even got the stripey pants!

Nuff said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's all over the Browncoats site. I guess it means Big Damn Movie but I'm not sure..... By the way, that's a terrible pic madrab.... Man of Faith.... Ouch :) Hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

yeah it means Big Damn Movie. Its a reference to the episode "Safe" where Zoe refers to the crew as Big Damn Heroes. Everything since then has been Big Damn. Big Damn TV Show, Big Damn Movie, praying for a Big Damn Sequel.... and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

yeah it means Big Damn Movie. Its a reference to the episode "Safe" where Zoe refers to the crew as Big Damn Heroes. Everything since then has been Big Damn. Big Damn TV Show, Big Damn Movie, praying for a Big Damn Sequel.... and so on.

Oh yeah, I love that part of that episode: "what does that make us Zoe?" "Big Damn Heroes cap'n"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sativarg

Well a bit off topic "Serenity sail true" a rough draft
    by Sativarg Millenious

:o

Serenity sail true a sea of damnation
    River of blood find Abomination
    OH Sweet Miranda!
    Bring reavers to bear
    Wash, Leaf in the air
    Soal for a Firefly
    Soar and roar "Never to die!"
    River of blood From Damnation
    sword of life and determination
    The message to all sweet Creation
    Your story to tell from the pits of Hell
    Serenity reborn

reave:http://www.bartleby.com/61/51/R0075100.html
    TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: reaved or reft ( rft), reav·ing, reaves
    Archaic To break or tear apart.
    ETYMOLOGY: Middle English reven, possibly alteration (influenced by reven, to plunder) of Old Norse rfa, to rive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Shiny! We should really have a thread for fanart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

sativarg wrote:
    Embarassed

Serenity sail true a sea of damnation
    River of blood find Abomination
    OH Sweet Miranda!
    Bring Revers to bear
    Wash, Leaf in the air
    Soal for a Firefly
    Soar and roar "Never to die!"
    River of blood From Damnation
    sword of life and determination
    The message to all sweet Creation
    Your story to tell from the pits of Hell
    Serenity reborn

I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sativarg

Daelus wrote:
    I like it!

thanks, it needs work.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Mrs Roy Keane

Any news on a sequel to the movie or another series of the show? I found that the movie didn't have as much humour as the show had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Its hard to believe it's 2 years old now. The tv series stills feels so fresh and new, Big Damn Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

man i loved that show and movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Damn how did this get cancelled???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I have JUST been watching the pilot. Oh man. Beats the crap out of some recent bull. To be specific: Heroes Vol. II; BSG Filler; and SG-1 seasons 9 and 10 (shudder).

I just watched the ROFL moment and ... yeha. I love this already. Best xmas gift ever - the complete box set of Firefly (not sure serenity is in here :( ) And includes 3 never aired eps! Yay! I win....

seriusly tough please bash me for being a firefly noob I deserve it :)

EDIT: according to wiki the sales of this new box set are producing interest for supporting a sequel to the serenity film. Get purchasing ya bastards :D

Advertisement