Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Report on Java Assignment

Options
  • 07-05-2013 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

So I've an end of year project just about finished and I've to write a report on it. I'm just wondering what goes into a report on a program? Do I just go through the methods, classes, etc. that I've used and why I used them? I've never written a report for programming so I'm at a bit of a loss and just want to make sure I hand up the right thing

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

If you followed a specific development methodology (TDD, Agile, etc) it might be worth talking about that in your report. If you haven't, don't - it will end badly. So if you mention that you employed agile techniques, you'd better have evidence ready (burndown charts, sprint records etc).

Similarly if you mentioned that you used TDD, make sure you have a full suite of test cases ready, and be able to describe what happened if you found your initial test cases to be inadequate or incorrect etc. Once again, only mention the stuff you can defend under questioning.

Also, if you've used a technology not covered in your course (i.e. a functional language) you may be able to have a discussion on its benefits compared to a more standard approach.

It should be OK to include a user manual with screenshots in your report as well. If you're not sure about what or what not to include, an email to your supervisor is the only way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

You can look at my final year software development documents.
    NB: I use the Agile methodology.

http://vla.azurewebsites.net/Development.aspx

Advertisement