Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interactive Map Help

• 07-12-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey guys, i have had my website developed a number of months ago but i need to make one or two changes ( trying to do it on my own )..

I have an interactive map that allows the user to click on an area of the map and it then displays a picture of that area with some text info.

I'm having real trouble changing the pictures on my .fla file..... any help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Are the images embedded in the .fla file or are they in an external folder?

Are you trying to ADD new images or CHANGE existing images?

Since you mentioned 'change the images', then you should be able to:

1. In the flash menu system:
    File > Import to Library > Choose your images from your computers hard-drive.

2. Right-click an image on the stage you want to change and choose the swap symbol option from the drop-down menu.

3. Choose the image you recently imported.

You'll have to do this each time the old image appears on the stage.

Disclaimer(!): Not the only way, or the best way, but perhaps a useful pointer in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Carrollj

Hi Conor, thanks for your reply. Here's the link to the page in question:

http://driftwoodrecordings.ie/studio1.html

it's made in flash and converted to .swf.
    as far as i can see the pictures are in a separate folder.

Thanks again for your help conor

Do you have:

1.) The source files (.fla file, perhaps others).
    .swf is not a source file.
    A working copy of the Adobe Flash program.

OR

2.) Is there a folder with images in it? i.e.

How familiar are you with creating Flash files?

Hi Conor, yeah i have the .fla open at the moment i just can't see where the pictures of the studio are? Thanks Conor

Here is a screen shot of what i'm looking at:

6957245715a12832629304l.jpg

• Advertisement

First, create a copy of all the important files.

1. Find the images you want to replace in the library panel. Take a note of their names.
    2. Outside of Flash, rename the filename of the images you want to use (the new images) to correspond with the names found in step 1.
    3. From the file menu, choose the 'import to library' option. Choose to replace the existing images (this is where you'll be greatful you made a copy of the original files).

See attachment for steps 1 and 3.

Thanks very much Conor, i've had a look to the right hand side where the library images are but none of them are there. Apologies for the confusion

If they aren't in the library then they must be in an external folder.

Based on your screenshot, there's at least one image in the library.

Ah, i think i've found the folder. So do you think if i replace the pictures in the folder with the new ones, they're shouldn't be a problem?

If you follow my previous instructions, with special attention to the 'make backup copies all the project files' part, then it should work, and if it doesn't then you'll have a backup copy.

• Advertisement

Done! Success, thanks very much conor, you've been a huge help.

Thanks again Conor,
    Jason

You're welcome :)

Hey Conor... just one more thing! Everything is working now offline so do i have to export it as a movie or selection? Thanks again

I'm not sure what you mean by 'selection'.

In Flash, press Ctrl + Enter on your keyboard. In the same folder as your .fla file, there should now be a file with a .swf filename extension.

You'll need to upload this file to your web server, replacing the existing .swf of the same name.

Before you do this, I recommend making a backup of all the files on your web server, particularly any files you plan on overwriting.

Great stuff, thanks again Conor, have a good Christmas

Advertisement