Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help identifying a bird

• 30-04-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

First post here.

I'd like some help identifying a bird I heard in the Phoenix park a few times last summer and just yesterday evening around the open area in front of the papal cross. This area grows into very tall grass over the summer.

The bird is slightly bigger than a thrush though it's difficult to estimate it's size as I only ever observed it as it flew over head.

I was alerted to it the by the way it seemed to fly at a fixed height above the grass while emitting a high pitched constant chirp almost like it was scanning the ground below with it's chirping signal.

As it would come in to land this chirping would change frequency and pattern.

I'm not a bird watcher (or maybe this is the start of me becomming one :rolleyes:) but i'd appreciate anyones thoughts on what bird this might be?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

It sounds like a skylark to me. They do breed up in park. And at this time you will see them fly straight up in the air to great heights while singinging and landing back to where they took off from.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/skylark/index.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Adley Cuddly Lifeguard

No complaint intended but the description given leaves this hard to answer. My first instinct in a Mislte Thrush going by flight pattern and call (although it's more rasping thean chirping.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/mistlethrush.htm

There's a sound link on this that might help.

A skylark flight pattern is far from flying at a fixed height. It soars. It is also considerably smaller than a thrush.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

If the bird is only flying at a fixed height over the grass then yes I would rule out a skylark. Skylark's like to soar to great heights when displaying.

I just have a hunch a skylark is the bird the OP is describing even though he described it as bigger then a thrush. I am always wary on people calling sizes of birds when they only get a fleeting sighting of the bird.

I know that area well and there are breeding skylarks in the meadow there. But without a more definite description as you say it's hard to make a call!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Thanks. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about the size. I don't have quicktime so couldn't listen to the mp3 - nor could I open the other link (my MAC is at home).

It did seem to fly a fixed height and almost anounce it's intention to descend with an alteration in the pattern of it's chrirping (which sounded like some Industrial Techno I've heard in the past - fast and a bit mental!)

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

If there was no indication of size, I'd consider Meadow Pipit but this is smaller then Skylark.

Maybe its the interpretation of what fixed height is, but I always consider Skylarks to be at fixed height, yes its very high but to me it appears fixed and then they decend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

From below it does look like a fixed height but so far up it's difficult to tell I suppose. I have today coincidently found that someone I know (not very well) is an ornathologist. The term's a fist on me but he might be able to help as he lives in the area.

Thanks' again for the help guys.

Advertisement