Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decisions, decisions

• 26-02-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

Im Thinking of buying a 2010 Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi petrol model early next year. So more a less I will be buying a 3 year old 1.8 petrol ( so should pick it up cheap enough )

Will have to probably buy in UK or the North as feck all of them here.

I do 7000 miles a year in mainly start/stop city traffic

I like my bit of acceleration which is why I'm picking this car, also, the way money issues are, I like the idea of not spending loads of money on a car with a similar engine but a different badge........Audi, Honda etc............but then will sacrifice looks, resale or whatever ; )

I Would hold on to the car for 3 years.
    So in 2016, I will be trying to sell a 6 year old 1.8 petrol Octavia

If selling private, will I be able to sell this car at all in 2016 ?

If to a garage, Am I going to loose a lot of money with depreciation ?

Thoughts ?
    Am I mad to be buying this size petrol engine.
    It seems that Ireland is just veering more and more towards diesels and in 2016, this will probably be more so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

For the start stop driving petrol is the way to go . Unless a hybrid is in your budget .
    The Skoda is a fine looking car and the way things are going you should pick one up fairly cheaply .
    The diesels seem to be giving a lot of trouble in short journeys and start stop commuting .
    Sure go for it .. After all petrol and diesel cost pretty much the same at the pump and if your stuck in traffic the mpg won't make that much of a difference .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭obi604

Ok, but will I be able to sell a 6 year old 1.8 petrol in 2016 ?

Or will people just not touch it with a barge pole !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

obi604 wrote: »

You'd swear it was a 4.2V8 in that Skoda not a 1.8tsi... :pac:

Wouldn't worry about it, buy the car you like, drive it and worry about resale values when the time comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Thoughts ?
    Am I mad to be buying this size petrol engine.
    Do you mean so small ? :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Don't worry about it. By 2016 the only vehicles in popular demand will be a) the Honda 50 and b) the Kawasaki Kz1000 with Hatchet-Holster, a la the Toecutter.

Seriously - you're over-thinking this. Just get the car you like and quit fretting.

• Advertisement

I'm laughing at the replies here

I suppose yee are right, im probably being anal and over thinking this way too much ; )

Seweryn wrote: »
    Do you mean so small ? :p.

now now : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Hopefully with the Euro 6 emission regs the arse will have fallen out of the diesel bubble a bit by 2016. It's only a matter of time before the motor tax changes to screw the diesel masses too.

Enjoy your purchase.

mailforkev wrote: »
    Hopefully with the Euro 6 emission regs the arse will have fallen out of the diesel bubble a bit by 2016. It's only a matter of time before the motor tax changes to screw the diesel masses too.

Enjoy your purchase.

thanks mailforkev

yeah, it just seems that diesels are taking over entirely in Ireland lately. Im sure a few unsuspecting people must be getting hit by DPF issues. e.g. people that bought a diesel " run around" car because of cheap tax etc.

Do yee think the way things are going that diesel will overtake the price of petrol, I know it has already in a handful of stations but I mean overall

............. im probably being anal and over thinking this way too much ; )

8 threads in a months, nah :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Just buy this and be done with it. It's got low miles and I'm sure there's a bit of bargaining to be done on that price too.

I know it's older but it's going to be worth sfa anyway if you want to protect yourself as much as possible.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    8 threads in a months, nah :pac:

And that's only on boards...

OP, you are over-thinking this way too much. There are also 1.4tsi's available here that aren't that bad in terms of performance. It's a poor purchase imo, a vRS petrol would be a better buy from a resale point of view and the difference in running costs would be minimal.

Rover James, EPM.

Fair enough, Hands up, guilty as charged.
    Your right, I am over thinking, ill leave it go now

Apologies for clogging up boards

Rover James, EPM.

Not meant like that at all!

Sometimes if you think too much about a potential purpose it slows you down if anything:)

EPM wrote: »
    Not meant like that at all!

Sometimes if you think too much about a potential purpose it slows you down if anything:)

oh ok :)

But I have a habit of over thinking stuff and always do loads or research before buying anything..........especially when im spending a nice few pound, you know the way things are now.

So you would get the 2.0 VRS petrol as opposed to the 1.8 TSI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I would anyway. There will always be a market for the VRS and the 2.0 is a lovely engine.

gpf101 wrote: »
    I would anyway. There will always be a market for the VRS and the 2.0 is a lovely engine.

mmmmmm, The VRS will be dearer to buy, have dearer tax, dearer VRT charges and presumably dearer insurance costs, with the way them insurance companies operate

Id say the VRS engine would be a lovely pokey engine alright.

There'll be a slightly bigger market for a vrs, but not so much a 1.8 elegance.

There's a few petrol 08 vrs about. There's one that might still be for sale with 4k on the clock.

EPM wrote: »
    There'll be a slightly bigger market for a vrs, but not so much a 1.8 elegance.

There's a few petrol 08 vrs about. There's one that might still be for sale with 4k on the clock.

That mileage almost seems too good to be true :p

That mileage almost seems too good to be true :p

I have a number somewhere of the owner I can try dig out if it's not online.

Rover James, EPM.

Was only joking :)

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Was only joking :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The vRS has a bigger market than the 1.8 simply because the vRS is more sought after. Most buyers in the market for a vRS are specifically looking for that car and are already versed on their performance and running costs. That leaves the 1.8 TSi in limbo especially the 120bhp version as most other buyers are happy with the performance of the 1.2/1.4 TSi. 120bhp is not alot from a 1.8 turbo petrol engine these days.

It was similar to BMW's 525d/325d, they sold very little of them here because the 520d/320d had respectable performance while those who wanted the extra refinement and power of a 6 cylinder diesel would opt for a 330d/530d.

In the octavia the 1.8 is 160bhp, but still I'd imagine that matters little to the target market.

Ya, someone who is in the market for a VRS wouldn't in a million years buy a 1.8t no matter what the spec. It really depends what you want from the car. The VRS is quite different form the 1.8t. It has quite a different image.

Ya, someone who is in the market for a VRS wouldn't in a million years buy a 1.8t no matter what the spec. It really depends what you want from the car. The VRS is quite different form the 1.8t. It has quite a different image.

Get ya with the whole image thing. Wouldn't be gone on the white now

I see the registration plate is hidden on this ad. Out of interest why do some people hide the registration plates when selling cars ?

It immediately make me suspicious and makes it feel like they are trying to hide something !

EDIT : in the mail I got alerting me of the reply, it had a link to a VRS car with the reg. plate blanked out.........yet on the actual boards web page the link is gone now. Maybe the poster edited his post or something

Sorry i was posting on a mobile and when i went to edit it I must have deleted the link.

Some people are slow to show a reg online but if I had any interest in buying the car I'd phone them to get the reg and run a cartell check.

Sorry i was posting on a mobile and when i went to edit it I must have deleted the link.

Some people are slow to show a reg online but if I had any interest in buying the car I'd phone them to get the reg and run a cartell check.

So are people purposely not showing the reg. in the hope that people will call them and then they can give their speel

Tends to put me off a car when reg. not shown. If nothing to hide, they should just show it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭vectra

So are people purposely not showing the reg. in the hope that people will call them and then they can give their speel

Tends to put me off a car when reg. not shown. If nothing to hide, they should just show it

Some people are like yourself. "Over Cautious"
    No offence mean't there but they are nervous of showing their reg online for several reasons, Most of the time it would have nothing to do with being a dodgy car, Personally i would not care about my reg being in an advert or photo I put up online.

vectra wrote: »

Some people are like yourself. "Over Cautious"
    No offence mean't there but they are nervous of showing their reg online for several reasons, Most of the time it would have nothing to do with being a dodgy car, Personally i would not care about my reg being in an advert or photo I put up online.

None taken ; )
    But in this case, im like you, Don't care either about showing the reg.

When I sold me last car, I made sure the reg. was shown clearly, to prove that I have nothing to hide and to give people a chance if they want............to go ahead and do all the background checks they want

• Advertisement
Advertisement