Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Tony wrote: »
    Try a manual terrestrial scan and see what signal and quality readings you are getting

Thanks, will try that later.
    Did a full rescan, but it didn't find any channels, though I think it's setup correctly (the channels/freq match what my laptop tuner has found).

If I press the "edit" button I get signal strength/quality display.
    These show 0/10%.
    If I move the antenna I can get fluctuations in the signal, occasionally jumping up to 90%, so enough to get a still frame. It jumps around alot, and is very sensitive to tiny motions (or even standing still!).

edit:
    did the manual scan, getting 0% signal intensity, 10% signal quality

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

bbbbb wrote: »
    edit:
    did the manual scan, getting 0% signal intensity, 10% signal quality

Then i'd say its an antenna problem or the DTT tuner is faulty, try going directly into tv with ant and see if you can pick up TV 3 on analogue

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

As Tony has said, if you are having problems with no terrestrial signal it's best to plug the aerial directly into the TV and rotate the aerial until you can get the best TV3 picture. The Ariva should then find the terrestrial channels when you connect it up and rescan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I have an Edision Combi which picks up the Terrestrial just fine (using a few different aerials). I got the Ariva last week and it's much more picky, only getting a picture with the best aerial perfectly aligned, and not working at all with other aerials that Edision works OK with.

Also, as with Bandon, mine hangs everytime I try and record to USB Stick. I'm waiting for a HDD to arrive to see if it's any better. It's very frustrating!

I can tune in the analog channels.
    Picture is ok (i.e. not great on 42" screen, but same as NTL analog I had years ago).

So is it likely to be a faulty tuner on the ariva box, or is it just picky as Paul describes:
    I have an Edision Combi which picks up the Terrestrial just fine (using a few different aerials). I got the Ariva last week and it's much more picky, only getting a picture with the best aerial perfectly aligned, and not working at all with other aerials that Edision works OK with.

TBH if this is the case, then I would consider it not fit for purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Most probably ,your aerial needs tweeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Just got one of these and hooked up to Saorview antenna, automatically detected the Irish channels and works fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just got one of these and hooked up to Saorview antenna, automatically detected the Irish channels and works fine :)
    Does what it says on the tin. Dont be so surprised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

dodzy wrote: »
    Does what it says on the tin. Dont be so surprised :D

Heh, in the space of several weeks we'd been through a Triax and some other model and they were crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mal78

Hey bbbbbb,

I'm an installer on the Northside. I tell all my customers here not to bother with an indoor aerial no matter how expensive or what any sales person from power city may say, the only success stories that have worked have mainly been in attic conversions or maybe along clontarf where there is nothing obstructing the signal. Double glazing will drown out a lot of signal. I have found that an indoor aerial only works in about 25 % of houses here and even at that bad weather can even affect them. A small 13 inch aerial which I use is perfect for the job, its very discreet.
    If you are still having problems, email me at mswan10@hotmail.com and I'll drop round for free to see if it is a faulty box or if you just need an aerial.

Mal.

• Advertisement

Hey, Mal. Don't give your email out in a public forum like this. Spammers will be loving you for it:). Give it via pm & delete it from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tooler1

just got myself a ferguson ariva 120
    and am very leased wit it
    i have noticied in the satellite settings,that hotbird 1 is enabled
    and while scanning it finds all the channels that astra2 finds
    can anyone please explain the reason for this?

All the channel are co-located on different satellites. If one sat mis-behaves, there is ready-made back-up available.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gerrymartin

Is there any way to permanently turn off subtitles on these units?
    If this has been already covered here can someone direct me to a link?
    Thank's in advance for any help. Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Brian P

Go into System Set up in the Menu
    Go into OSD Setting
    Switch subtitles to off

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tooler1

thanks for the info Kristopherus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

My Ariva 120 doesn't seem to want to come on today.

When I turn it on the 'On on' thing keeps flashing but no picture appears on screen. I've turned it off for ten minutes and then back on to no avail.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Disconnect the cable from the dish and try powering on again.

My Ariva 120 doesn't seem to want to come on today.

When I turn it on the 'On on' thing keeps flashing but no picture appears on screen. I've turned it off for ten minutes and then back on to no avail.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestions as to what the problem might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Disconnect the cable from the dish and try powering on again.

I just turned it on there and it booted up!

Have no clue what was wrong but it seems fine again.

Cheers.

Mal78 wrote: »
    Hey bbbbbb,

I'm an installer on the Northside. I tell all my customers here not to bother with an indoor aerial no matter how expensive or what any sales person from power city may say, the only success stories that have worked have mainly been in attic conversions or maybe along clontarf where there is nothing obstructing the signal. Double glazing will drown out a lot of signal. I have found that an indoor aerial only works in about 25 % of houses here and even at that bad weather can even affect them. A small 13 inch aerial which I use is perfect for the job, its very discreet.
    If you are still having problems, email me at mswan10@hotmail.com and I'll drop round for free to see if it is a faulty box or if you just need an aerial.

Mal.

Thanks. Will wait until the new year.
    Tried with the indoor aerial outside the window (double glazing), still showed zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I just had one of these boxes installed today.. I don't seem to have BBC2 NI, 3 or 4 however. Any tips on how to add them to the channel list?

I just had one of these boxes installed today.. I don't seem to have BBC2 NI, 3 or 4 however. Any tips on how to add them to the channel list?

BBC 3 and 4 do not start till 7pm. A transponder scan using the tuning guide sticky thread will get you BBC NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

BBC 3 and 4 do not start till 7pm. A transponder scan using the tuning guide sticky thread will get you BBC NI.

Thanks Tony. Should BBC 3 & 4 not show up on the channel list until programming has started?

Thanks Tony. Should BBC 3 & 4 not show up on the channel list until programming has started?

If the channel list that was installed has them then yes, depends on what list your installer used.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

I have a setanta feed that is still live for some reason from NTL years ago. I plugged it into the antenna in slot on the back of the ARIVA but cant seem to tune it in?

Any ideas?

Many thanks and best wishes for the holidays,

;):);)

NTL is cable tv the ariva is not a cable box.

Thanks Tony, so feed direct to TV? Its a UK Panasonic so it wont pick up the signal. :( Guess its no good to me then....

SAINTRON wrote: »
    I have a setanta feed that is still live for some reason from NTL years ago. I plugged it into the antenna in slot on the back of the ARIVA but cant seem to tune it in?

Any ideas?

Many thanks and best wishes for the holidays,

;):);)
    How do you know the feed is still "live"? Have you tested it on another set?

Thanks Tony, so feed direct to TV? Its a UK Panasonic so it wont pick up the signal. :( Guess its no good to me then....
    If you have a feed from UPC throught the cable, the TV will be fine. It just needs to be tuned. (with the cable plugged directly into the antenna connection at rear of the TV)

dodzy wrote: »
    How do you know the feed is still "live"? Have you tested it on another set?

If you have a feed from UPC throught the cable, the TV will be fine. It just needs to be tuned. (with the cable plugged directly into the antenna connection at rear of the TV)

Yeah, works on another TV but the Panasonic wont pick up those freqs unfortunately....

• Advertisement

Yeah, works on another TV but the Panasonic wont pick up those freqs unfortunately....

Why not ?

Advertisement