Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Shoes

• 03-06-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hello all! I'm wondering if there's any advice out there on good shoes to race a marathon in. I've done my last two in the Brooks Racer ST5 as well as 10ks, halfs, speedwork etc. They've been great but are just about gone now and before I replace them I'd love to hear some suggestions. I'm going for the sub 3 in Frankfurt in October so I'll need all the help I can get!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭overpronator

I used ST5s for London just gone, I had previously used the Asics DS racer 10 for races up to the half. I went with the Brooks for the extra cushion but looking back I think the Asics would have been grand. I don't think id get another pair of the ST5 and will go back to the DS racer. They're a good bit lighter than the brooks but still have enough support and cushion for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Used DS Racer 10 in Cork and Connemara marathons (and for speed work in training for the last 5 months) and I found them great. They are very light and the cushioning is still above average for that type of shoe (in my very limited experience). I only have Asics: 3 pairs (Cumulus, DS Trainer and DS Racer).

The DS Racers are not gonna last long. Got mine at Christmas and they now have 160 miles: I'd say they are only gonna last another 150. But that's probably normal for that type of shoe.

PS JF Sports in Carlow have a size 7 and 10 discounted I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

echancrure wrote: »
    Used DS Racer 10 in Cork and Connemara marathons (and for speed work in training for the last 5 months) and I found them great. They are very light and the cushioning is still above average for that type of shoe (in my very limited experience). I only have Asics: 3 pairs (Cumulus, DS Trainer and DS Racer).

The DS Racers are not gonna last long. Got mine at Christmas and they now have 160 miles: I'd say they are only gonna last another 150. But that's probably normal for that type of shoe.

Cheers echancrure! . I'm a forefoot striker and I'd be hoping for a bit of cushioning in that area. How is the cushioning in the forefoot in the DS 10?

I think it is weak. It is weaker than my DS Trainer at any case.

I did get slight little discomfort under my forefoot a few times this year running with them. But for me that is probably a good motivation to try to improve my running form and try to minimise ground contact time. That's also why I am interested in plyometrics.

All the best in your quest!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

echancrure wrote: »

I am very interested in getting a pair of the DS Trainer 20's, I currently run in the Adidas Boston 5 Boost (Size 8.5). I have been told good things about the DS shoes but i tried them on and found the size 8 (normal shoes size) a bit tight around the forefoot and then the 8.5 seemed to have too much space from my toe to front of shoe. Cant decide what to do?? Will the size 8 stretch a bit in width.?

• Advertisement

Well seems to me that all shoes stretch a little after some wear. But if it is tight when you try them on I wouldn't go for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

The Asic Hyperspeed. One of my favourite ever shoes and I never had any issues running a marathon in them. They are probably the best mix of a lightweight racer and still having excellent cushioning all round. Cheap as chips too, can't get them anywhere in store but I got mine on Ebay from Millet sports for 80 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

New Balance MR1400 or M1500 if you need a bit of support.

You're sandbagging with the sub 3 - 2:57 at least I'd say ;)

You're sandbagging with the sub 3 - 2:57 at least I'd say ;)[/quote]

Ah jaysus you're breaking my heart!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Ah jaysus you're breaking my heart!!

Ah I didn't mean to be bad - I'm serious - 2:57 in flat and fast Frankfurt will be no bother to ya as long as you're conservative early on - best of luck with the training.

• Advertisement

Ah I didn't mean to be bad - I'm serious - 2:57 in flat and fast Frankfurt will be no bother to ya as long as you're conservative early on - best of luck with the training.

Ha ha I know you were taking the pish!! Conservative will be the name of the game! I'm gonna do a twelve week programme I think. As soon as it starts I hope to restart the auld log again so ye can all tell me how great I am keep me on my toes!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I didn't do a marathon in them, but have done a few 20+ mile runs in Adidas Bostons, and they seem to have a good combination of bounce and structure while being lightweight. Might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭aero2k

The Asic Hyperspeed. One of my favourite ever shoes and I never had any issues running a marathon in them. They are probably the best mix of a lightweight racer and still having excellent cushioning all round. Cheap as chips too, can't get them anywhere in store but I got mine on Ebay from Millet sports for 80 bucks.
    +1 on the Hyperspeed, I ran my 2nd fastest marathon in a pair of Hyperspeed 3, and they were super comfy. Five years on, I haven't thrown them away yet...

My fastest and 3rd fastest marathons were run in the same pair of Skechers GoMeb Speed 2 - very light (around 200 grams for size 9 1/2, similar to the Hyperspeeds), surprisingly supportive and reasonably cushioned as well. Hard wearing too, I've put up over 500 miles on them. I bought the GoMeb Speed 3 as a replacement but I don't really like them - they're heavier and the fit isn't as nice. Thankfully I managed to get another pair of Speed 2s on Amazon for around €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Ran London in red DS Racers 10. Only wear them tbh. I have a pair of DS trainers that I use on some long runs. The new DS Racers 10 that have a blue heal and yellow rest are a dreadful pair of shoes. I bought two pairs and they are simply wrong. There is a bit of the outer material that hurts my feet. Do not buy this version hqdefault.jpg The red ones have the softest material. The yellow or yellow/blue material is too hard.

rom wrote: »
    Ran London in red DS Racers 10. Only wear them tbh. I have a pair of DS trainers that I use on some long runs. The new DS Racers 10 that have a blue heal and yellow rest are a dreadful pair of shoes. I bought two pairs and they are simply wrong. There is a bit of the outer material that hurts my feet. Do not buy this version hqdefault.jpg The red ones have the softest material. The yellow or yellow/blue material is too hard.

Interesting Rom, are they not exactly the same shoe, just a different colour? Are the upper materials different?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Interesting Rom, are they not exactly the same shoe, just a different colour? Are the upper materials different?

Yeah the upper is different. When you put them on they feel fine but as soon as you start running with them you will see whats wrong with them. I have relaced mine in a different way now that helps but if heal strike then you probably won't notice the issue. suppose what i say is try them on and run in them first. Annoyed as they are the only shoe I wear.

rom wrote: »
    Yeah the upper is different. When you put them on they feel fine but as soon as you start running with them you will see whats wrong with them. I have relaced mine in a different way now that helps but if heal strike then you probably won't notice the issue. suppose what i say is try them on and run in them first. Annoyed as they are the only shoe I wear.

Good to know, cheers, planning on picking up a new pair soon enough. I'll get a red pair again so!

Advertisement