Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charging Ford Focus battery

• 08-01-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, my Ford Focus 2004 sometimes take several attempts to start in cold mornings. I checked with a multimeter and found that voltage drops to 11.5 over night. Once it starts in the morning, it runs fine entire day, but next morning again gives problems.

Showed it to a mechanic and he said the battery is in good condition, but needs recharging. He suggested taking it for a long drive, doing high revs. I am wondering how long should I drive for it to get 100% recharged? Any help would be appreciated, thanks! (I believe it is a Calcium battery)

PS: verified that there is no parasitic drain. alternator looks ok as well - when the car is running, battery voltage goes up to 14.4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is no need for high revs. Drive for half an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

ashgg1 wrote: »
    Showed it to a mechanic and he said the battery is in good condition, but needs recharging.

How did he come to this conclusion?

Did he test the cold cranking amps? A battery will still take a charge and "look" ok but won't start in the morning if there aren't enough CCA's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ashgg1

NickDunne wrote: »

How did he come to this conclusion?

Did he test the cold cranking amps? A battery will still take a charge and "look" ok but won't start in the morning if there aren't enough CCA's.

Yes, he tested the CCAs with some equipment that showed "battery good, needs charging" status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

If a battery is loosing charge like that overnight the alternator will never charge it you will need to charge it with a battery charger.
    How old is the battery ?? The life of a battery is about five years so its possible it needs to be replaced.

And lastly was that a ford battery tester he used if it was replace your battery cos those testers are pure crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

tbh I'd just get a new battery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

tbh I'd just get a new battery

Yeah.

The speed of cranking with a new battery is a pleasure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I checked with a multimeter and found that voltage drops to 11.5 over night.

Probably needs to be charged with a mains charger.

ALDI and Lidl had a good battery charger recently for 20 euro. It made an OK battery into a good one for me. The older type chargers aren't much good when a battery gets a bit weak, they only really top up rather than charge it properly. Alternators do the same and in cold weather and high usage (lights, aircon etc) the battery needs a proper charge from an external charger every so often.

Is it a diesel? If so then glow plugs will be another drain at start up making it harder to crank in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ashgg1

Thanks all for the advice. I guess i will charge it with a Mains charger first, and if doesn't work - buy a new battery.

I live in an apartment building with no mains supply in the Parking area, so need to take out the battery and bring it in the apartment for mains supply. Or are there any DC battery chargers available in the market? Or would any mechanic do this kind of charging in the Dublin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

that's a lot of trouble to go to, to avoid buying a new battery! You'll have to keep charging it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks all for the advice. I guess i will charge it with a Mains charger first, and if doesn't work - buy a new battery.

I live in an apartment building with no mains supply in the Parking area, so need to take out the battery and bring it in the apartment for mains supply. Or are there any DC battery chargers available in the market? Or would any mechanic do this kind of charging in the Dublin area?

I bought a new battery for a 1/4 corolla from my local motor factors for €55. I'd sooner drop that cash than go through the hassle your talking about

• Advertisement
Advertisement