Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuter

Options
  • 18-09-2014 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for advice. I've spent the last 2 weeks or so looking at bikes and have finally narrowed it down to a couple and was hoping someone could give me a bit of advice on which is the best value. I will be using the bike to cycle to work and college and general tipping around. heres what i have it narrowed down to

1) 2nd hand Freespirit Albany Hybrid €110
    2) 2nd hand Jupiter Tuscan hybrid €200
    3) 2nd hand Ventura Hybrid €170
    4) New Castello Potenza steel racer €240
    5) New CASTELLO MONZA ALLOY racer €300

Or if anyone has any other suggestions i'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Hi Shaunac93

I can give you advice on the jupiter tuscan hybrid as i previously had one - not a bad bike but a little bit heavy. Also 200 euro is a little on the steep side. I sold one on adverts.ie for 130 a couple of months ago that was under 3 years old and in pretty good condition (kept indoors etc).

Not wanting to open your search further but i would recommend going second hand and if you can stretch get a Giant / Specialized / Trek branded bike.

Best of luck with your search!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shaunac1993

@mugsymugsy thanks for your reply. I have been looking at the brands you mentioned but just cant afford them at the moment unfortunately. The Jupiter Tuscan seems like my best option atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What sort of distance are you doing. You might get a decent MTB 2nd hand. Carrera are a decent bike.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/sports-fitness/bikes/209/q_Carrera+/price_60-300/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Will be doing under 50miles a week but on very hilly roads. Had a mountain bike last yeaar for commuting and found it very difficult so thats why i was thinking of getting a hybrid this year

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

There are lots of good bargains to be got if you can stretch your budget. Lots of people have bought bike on the Bike to Work Scheme upto €1000 which effectively costs €480. So do the B2WS if possible.

So bearing that in mind I got this beauty Giant Rapid 2 2014 model for €440 with lots of goodies added in (Floor pump, mini pump, mini tool, 2 spare tubes, new helmet, 2 pairs of gloves, Cateye computer, front and back lights, 2 bottle cages & Abus lock)

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/2014-giant-rapid-2/6191068

It retails at €900 with all the extras @ circa €100 so I was delighted and the seller got his money back!

I have used this bike and its a great commuter as its upright in the traffic for visibility and comfort. Also light for cycling and its very smooth with 700x25c wheels.

So in my opinion do the B2WS and buy a new one or get an unwanted bike .... however I would definitely recommend to spend a bit more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement