Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Oak Stairs Oil type

• 17-11-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi,

I normally post on the athletics tread but I need a bit of non-running advice.

I have a new oak stairs that has just been installed. I don't want to varnish it but would rather oil it - so it comes up a satin or dull sheen.

I - from no experience but just a bit of common sense - would reckon I should either teak oil it or danish oil it. I think that danish oil will deliver a higher gloss finish - my only expeirnece of this is a pine table my wife had danish oiled 15 years ago and now it has that sealed look.

Any comments?

Am I spot on on the teak oil being duller (less gloss, not darker) than danish oil or wide of the mark?

I don't really want to change the colour of the wood but I accept that any treatment will darken the wood. But the less darkening the better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could try danish oil, thinned with a little white spirits and applied with a nylon scourer, with the grain. Apply several thin coats and denib if required with fine steel wool. It will darken the wood for sure but it is an attractive finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

I would use Liberon Finishing oil on the Stairs - I use it on turned wood and it gives an attrative and durable finish - follow the instrucions on the packaging and you can chose the finish you require from matt right up to high gloss.
    Liberon is not stocked everywhere but is availible from Lenehans.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Thanks lads.

What does denib mean?

I know what my iliotibial bands are (running) but I don't have any woodwork jargon.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

RJC wrote: »
    What does denib mean?
    It's means to remove the small 'nibs' or slightly rough raised areas caused by the fibres in different parts of the wood absorbing the oil to different degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Thanks for that.

What I did in the end was to take 3 off-cuts to the local paint shop and get them to put 3 finishes on the pieces - Danish, Tung and some other one that escapes me (a trade branded product). They coated each in 2 coats of oil. The branded product was the winner. - same colour as the dainish oil but duller.

Now, to buy, apply and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭jack of all

Just to expand on the "de-nib" term- I would also take it to mean removing (by light sanding with glass paper or steel wool) the inevitable dust, dirt, drips and runs that will otherwise spoil a hand applied finish. Use a clean lint free cotton rag, dampened with a little white spirits, to act as a tack cloth to remove any dust or residue after sanding and before applying the next coat.

Advertisement