Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sorry we cant help ye on this as we're below the 50 posts so no photo uploads allowed.

From our campaign's point of view, people took a while to come around to the idea that it's not just about creating a path...a greenway is a tourist attraction that many people will visit a region especially for, it's a place for locals of all ages to meet up with friends/family for a cycle/walk, it directly and indirectly creates jobs, it's a way of popping over to the next village, it's a way to commute, it's a way to get to your fishing spot.

Waterford as a county is really starting to see the potential now and the Kilmacthomas post we put up on Facebook this week gave us our best indication of this. We've had emails from Dunhill, Dunmore East, Portlaw, Lismore, Cappoquin...none of these are on the Deise Greenway route but they want to be connected to it somehow!

Hi deisegreenway,

It got too late last night, I was going to contact you to ask if I could use some of your photos to upload to the thread here. I could link them directly but they are HUGE, boards.ie have an image upload max size of 800px. I can download them, resize and upload directly to the thread here? Or if the mods allow, I can direct link them, but they are big!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Hi deisegreenway,

It got too late last night, I was going to contact you to ask if I could use some of your photos to upload to the thread here. I could link them directly but they are HUGE, boards.ie have an image upload max size of 800px. I can download them, resize and upload directly to the thread here? Or if the mods allow, I can direct link them, but they are big!

Hi mayo mick, feel free to PM your email address and I'll resize them to 800px wide and email them to you...would this work? Many thanks

Some photos, courtesy of Deise Greenway and their Facebook Page

What can be achieved and the spin off from tourism.

0000000000001_zps16246afc.jpg

20150106_122018_zpse2540495.jpg

20150106_121834_zpse8f40a59.jpg

20150106_120846_zpsb79fc28c.jpg

20150106_130111_zps2f9e09f3.jpg

20150106_125848_zps854202d3.jpg

Thanks to Deise Greenway for sending these on. They have loads more photos on their website and facebook page, do check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Join this Deise greenway to Rosslare port, Limerick Junction and New Ross anybody?

Steam trains from Athenry to Tuam so cycle tourists could also connect from LJ to Westport -Achill greenway, Tralee - Fenit greenway etc.

elastico wrote: »
    Join this Deise greenway to Rosslare port, Limerick Junction and New Ross anybody?

Steam trains from Athenry to Tuam so cycle tourists could also connect from LJ to Westport -Achill greenway, Tralee - Fenit greenway etc.

Waterford to New Ross via the old railway goes to planning this year.
    St Mullins (just north of New Ross) to Athy and beyond along the Barrow towpath goes to planning in Q1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I certainly would not support a waterford to limerick junction greenway, that has an operating railway and that should be the focus

There is no way greenway proposals should ever been seen as a quick solution to allow the removal of an operating railway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

BoatMad wrote: »
    I certainly would not support a waterford to limerick junction greenway, that has an operating railway and that should be the focus

There is no way greenway proposals should ever been seen as a quick solution to allow the removal of an operating railway

Put it in as a parallel greenway; keep the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

eastwest wrote: »

My feeling too. A parallel greenway might even result in an increase in passengers on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

Speaking as somebody who has walked the whole Royal canal, having the railway beside it simplifies the logistics of the walk enormously. You can very easily break the walk into sections and take the train back at the end of the day. It makes it possible for people to decide to walk a route over the course of six months and so expands the potential users of the greenway away from those capable of walking 150km in few days off.

Admittedly the Sligo line is a bit of a special case as there is plenty of space to have a greenway on the canal which never gets too far from the railway before Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Hungerford wrote: »
    Indeed. In the North, Sustrans have emerged as the main obstacle to any plans for the reopening of Belfast-Comber railway. Such was their opposition that it wasn't even considered in the recent railway consultation up there.

exactly. they need to be stopped from doing such things.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Good idea for Athenry to Limerick as well - parallel railway and greenway all the way - it would increase usage of the railway as well - bike one way train the other. nice day out .....Oh and yes I know IR would have to allow bikes on trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

westtip wrote: »
    Good idea for Athenry to Limerick as well - parallel railway and greenway all the way - it would increase usage of the railway as well - bike one way train the other. nice day out .....Oh and yes I know IR would have to allow bikes on trains.

Only off peak, it'd be awful for paying passengers to have no room...

Waterford to New Ross via the old railway goes to planning this year.
    St Mullins (just north of New Ross) to Athy and beyond along the Barrow towpath goes to planning in Q1

Good for you guys, we have only just turned the corner in getting the decision from the Minister of Transport that the Western Rail Trail is now the preferred option of the Department of Transport for the closed railway from Athenry to Collooney in county Sligo; your pics on your FB page show what the potential is, the businesses in the west in the tourism trade are delighted with the Governments decision and hope they will get it moving as soon as possible, It's looking positive though for the western rail trail as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Rawr wrote: »
    My feeling too. A parallel greenway might even result in an increase in passengers on that route.

I can't see IR agreeing to significant greenways along side active active railway, ( and I have my views as Ive aired them hear as to the practicality of even having them run in such a way as a line could be re-open,

If you walk any significant amount of single line, you will see that the railways uses all that space for spoil, ballast etc, not to mention cabling , electrical cabinetry etc

the key at the moment is to ensure IR don't continue to deactivate the network. Greenways are an entirely different argument.

Good for you guys, we have only just turned the corner in getting the decision from the Minister of Transport that the Western Rail Trail is now the preferred option of the Department of Transport for the closed railway from Athenry to Collooney in county Sligo; your pics on your FB page show what the potential is, the businesses in the west in the tourism trade are delighted with the Governments decision and hope they will get it moving as soon as possible, It's looking positive though for the western rail trail as well.

It certainly is looking positive, 2014 may well have been a landmark year for your campaign. We check your Facebook page almost daily for updates and more good news. Unfortunately all these things take an eternity, the Deise Greenway project is a decade old now...with 4km completed in that time.

Only off peak, it'd be awful for paying passengers to have no room...

....to walk around and listen to the echo!

BoatMad wrote: »
    I can't see IR agreeing to significant greenways along side active active railway, ( and I have my views as Ive aired them hear as to the practicality of even having them run in such a way as a line could be re-open,

If you walk any significant amount of single line, you will see that the railways uses all that space for spoil, ballast etc, not to mention cabling , electrical cabinetry etc

the key at the moment is to ensure IR don't continue to deactivate the network. Greenways are an entirely different argument.

They're happy enough to do it in every other country where lines aren't being expanded. Google 'rails with trails' and see the US experience.
    The benefits to railroads companies in the US were as follows:

Reduced liability costs;
    Financial compensation.
    Reduced petty crime, trespassing, dumping, and vandalism;
    Reduced illegal track crossings through channelization of users to grade-separated or well-designed at-grade crossings;
    Increased public awareness of railroad company service;
    Increased tourism revenue;
    Increased adjacent property values; and
    Improved access to transit for law enforcement and maintenance vehicles

In Ireland, we have no problem routing bike lanes (unfenced) alongside the Luas line in Dublin, or behind a chainlink fence along the DART line in Seapoint. We also don't see the need to separate bikes from trucks on minor roads, but we balk at running trains behind a fence along a bike path.
    It's a mindset thing, but all we have to do is copy the experience elsewhere. Services can be run under paths no problem; there is a 220 kv powerline under the grand Union canal towpath out of London, and another one under the canal path in Dublin in Inchicore.
    everything is possible; minor problems are just engineering issues to be sorted. Political thinking is the biggest hurdle, always was. Let the engineers have it and they'll sort it, they always do.

Just in case you think I have got myself an influential job on the editorial side of the Irish Times, I haven't. But one word to say about todays lead in the IT.

WOW!!!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/open-the-greenway-1.2062388

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

Just in case you think I have got myself an influential job on the editorial side of the Irish Times, I haven't. But one word to say about todays lead in the IT.

WOW!!!!

Someone in the IT has taken a very big interest in the WRC alright. What did you think of their suggestion for a commuter link from Tuam to Galway?

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Someone in the IT has taken a very big interest in the WRC alright. What did you think of their suggestion for a commuter link from Tuam to Galway?

I think they couched the words very carefully by saying "could make commercial sense, provided modern rolling stock and attractive on-line fares are available." - emphasis on the word could.

Part of this editorial could be taken very favourably by West on Track who seldom mention Claremorris/Collooney these days and in reality only ever talk about getting the railway as far as Claremorris.

The thing the editorial has not mentioned is the motorway from Tuam to Gort interlinking with the M6 at Rathmorrisey which will have the joint effect of vastly reducing traffic on the old N18 that goes through Claregalway - as all traffic bypassing Galway will use the new road, and the actual travel time on the M17/M6 route into Galway from Tuam using the Rathmorrisey interchange will reduce xpress bus speeds from Tuam to Galway. Rail will simply not be able to compete with the speeds buses will probably achieve. Not to mention buses will be able to go directly to where people work - the industrial parks in places like Balybrit.

• Advertisement

sonnyblack wrote: »

A big slice of the commuter traffic from Tuam to Galway is headed for the industrial sites on the North side of the city. These will be accessible in fifteen minutes from Tuam once the motorway opens. The rest will be a further ten minutes by bus; the train hasn't a chance of competing with buses on time and price, as well as convenience; the station is away from everything but the shopping areas.
    The so-called 'western rail corridor' is dead in the water, it's just not going to happen in any shape or form in the next forty years at least. The Times is dead right to call for the Western rail Trail to be built now though, it's a complete no-brainer and it's now the only way to protect the asset. Once farmers and other would-be squatters have absorbed the news that the railway is definitely not happening, the barbed wire will be going up everywhere as people rush to grab a bit of public land that they know is being officially abandoned. The squatting might be bad already, but it will escalate now.

and it's now the only way to protect the asset. Once farmers and other would-be squatters have absorbed the news that the railway is definitely not happening, the barbed wire will be going up everywhere as people rush to grab a bit of public land that they know is being officially abandoned. The squatting might be bad already, but it will escalate now.

Small bit of truth stretching there!

The asset has already been protected, it was fenced off and cleared a few years ago! Yes a greenway is probably the best way to protect it, but not the only way!

Nobody has mentioned officially abandoning the line either, we all know its as good as abandoned years ago anyway but I don't see any new official announcement on this.

Small bit of truth stretching there!

The asset has already been protected, it was fenced off and cleared a few years ago! Yes a greenway is probably the best way to protect it, but not the only way!

Nobody has mentioned officially abandoning the line either, we all know its as good as abandoned years ago anyway but I don't see any new official announcement on this.
    Unfortunately, the fencing off of much of the south Sligo stretch has been ignored; sections of it have been completely subsumed into private farms and gardens. Even in the fenced-off sections, some bits have been taken over as cattle-wintering areas, dumps for waste and storage areas for silage and farm machinery. In the case of silage, storing it on CIE property avoids polluting waterways directly from the farms in question but allows the pollution to happen without any kind of censure.
    The northern section in Sligo is already almost lost with fences, driveways and gardens built on it in several places.
    Any kind of official signal that the line is a dead duck (and anyone who read recent announcements differently is not listening) will inevitably bring out the barbed wire everywhere as farmers make sure that none of their neighbours capture the bit that runs alongside their own properties, as well as grabbing what they can for themselves. It is now effectively a free for all, and short of CIE suddenly finding a budget to patrol a line that they have no interest in, a greenway is the best way to protect the asset for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

Unfortunately, the fencing off of much of the south Sligo stretch has been ignored; sections of it have been completely subsumed into private farms and gardens. Even in the fenced-off sections, some bits have been taken over as cattle-wintering areas, dumps for waste and storage areas for silage and farm machinery. In the case of silage, storing it on CIE property avoids polluting waterways directly from the farms in question but allows the pollution to happen without any kind of censure.
    The northern section in Sligo is already almost lost with fences, driveways and gardens built on it in several places.
    Any kind of official signal that the line is a dead duck (and anyone who read recent announcements differently is not listening) will inevitably bring out the barbed wire everywhere as farmers make sure that none of their neighbours capture the bit that runs alongside their own properties, as well as grabbing what they can for themselves. It is now effectively a free for all, and short of CIE suddenly finding a budget to patrol a line that they have no interest in, a greenway is the best way to protect the asset for future generations.

If you stole €50 off someone walking in the street, it'd be theft and you'd be in the barracks.
    If you took someone's car and never gave it back, it'd be theft and you'd be in the barracks.

How can people STEAL land that's not theirs and be allowed get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bizguy wrote: »
    If you stole €50 off someone walking in the street, it'd be theft and you'd be in the barracks.
    If you took someone's car and never gave it back, it'd be theft and you'd be in the barracks.

How can people STEAL land that's not theirs and be allowed get away with it?
    because nobody has the balls to do anything about it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Mod edit: Images removed as we're not in a position to confirm ownership or other agreements of those individual cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

improvements in services on the Athenry/Ennis section of the line saw passenger numbers increase by almost 80 per cent.
    They completely ignore the fact that the fares were halved at least to artificially boost numbers on the line. let it run for a couple of years without fear or favour and then make a rational decision on it's future based on the real numbers!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/open-the-greenway-1.2062388They completely ignore the fact that the fares were halved at least to artificially boost numbers on the line. let it run for a couple of years without fear or favour and then make a rational decision on it's future based on the real numbers!
    Eighty percent of SFA is still SFA.smile.png

foggy_lad wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/open-the-greenway-1.2062388They completely ignore the fact that the fares were halved at least to artificially boost numbers on the line. let it run for a couple of years without fear or favour and then make a rational decision on it's future based on the real numbers!

Was it not just online fares that were slashed?

In fairness fares from Dublin to other cities are slashed online to €14.99, travelling longer distances, as well, so its not just a special reduction for this line.

Also previously a lot of passenger base seemed to be oaps and students etc., I don't think the reduced fares benefited the largest part of the previous customer base.

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Mod edit: Images removed as we're not in a position to confirm ownership or other agreements of those individual cases.

That's a scandalous land-grab of a publicly-owned asset; somebody in CIE needs their ass kicked.
    While they know that the line is never going to be reopened, they have a responsibility to us (the owners) to protect the asset and to stop this kind of adverse possession theft.
    I'm always amazed that none of the so-called 'pro-rail' lobby has ever condemned this theft, but in a way, it sort-of makes sense. Most of the WOT supporters in local politics are just riding a ship of convenience, following whatever they perceive to be the wind direction. They don't want to upset the squatters by taking them to task, no more than they want to upset the railway buffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement