Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did they get rid of the glass milk bottles that the milkman delivered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

IR wrote: »
    A company called Kelly's organic do pasteurised unhomogenised milk. They sell to some shops in Dublin as well as in Dublin co-op every Saturday. there are a couple of producers around Ireland doing this now and selling direct...
    http://www.kellysorganic.com/
    Its not in Glass though...

Also for the moment anyhow unpasteurised unhomogenised milk is also available, though the government is intending to ban this

Just picked some up in ennis butchers in rialto.2.80 for a 2 ltr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

swingking wrote: »
    back in the late 80s early 90s.

In fact, I remember one time he delivered a bottle of orange juice in the same type of bottle. Anyone else get this?

Pffft. Orange juice was only for rich people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We used to get the bottles delivered to school as well, there was a bit of a phase back then when everyone would bring in their own milk flavourings, strawberry, banana, chocolate, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah i remmember the bottles, still have 3 of them at home. The limited edition ones they brought out for the 1990 World Cup anyone else remeber them? I was only 7 at the time but still cant bring myself to throw those bottle out dont think i ever will:).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

stevieob wrote: »
    Just picked some up in ennis butchers in rialto.2.80 for a 2 ltr

It says on the carton that it's old fashioned milk where the cream floats to the top.

No cream floating on mine, i think i just got all cream of the milk instead!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Glass Milk Bottles produced by Cork Milk Producers (CMP) at Tramore Road from the Early 1960's to Early 1980's. They were transported in Large Plastic Crates, and once used, they had to be washed and returned to your front doorstep for the milkman to collect. Our milkman was skilled, as he could pick up eight empty bottles, one on each finger to carry to his Van. The Bottles were sealed with coloured foil caps. At christmas time, there were special seasonal foil caps;Snowflake design one year if I remember right. Birds had learnt to pierce the foil caps and drink the cream which floated to the top inch of the bottle.(The milk was not homogenized), so you had to get the milk in quick after delivery. You could hear the milkman doing his rounds early morning, with the clink-clink sound of glass bottles as he moved from door to door.
    The milkman would also deliver Orange juice, eggs and the local Daily "The Cork Examiner".

Prior to this, We had delivery of milk, from a milkman who drove a Horse and Cart. The Milk Churns were loaded at the farm on the back of a Drey Cart. Each Householder would carry an empty Jug or container to the cart, the Milkman would remove the churn lid and drop a Measuring cup on a long handle into the milk and dispense it into the container or Jug and make a note in his account book, (for when the account was to be settled on payment day). The milk was unpasteurized and unrefridgerated. This was available up to the Mid 60's.

Today, Under EU legislation, he would be arrested for doing this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32663985@N00/sets/72157627980301827/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

moceri - good post but poor photo - I was expecting to see the horse and cart. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

Im almost 21 myself and I remember in my primary school we got milk in glass bottles in Junior and Senior infants... Wasnt the stuff with cream on top though unfortunately, now that Id like!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Wish they would bring back the milk bottles, used to love to hear the clinging of bottles outside my window at 5am on cold winter snowy mornings... and the scuffle of who got the taste the cream on top lol mmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

I think it was the early 80's when they went to homogenized milk, at least I remember when the milk they delivered to my school was changed, I vaguely remember (being no more 5 or 6) no longer liking the milk. AFAIR it went from plastic pint? bottles to cartoons. I'd love to get some 'old' milk, see if it's as good as I remember.
    But I also remember helping the milkman in Ballyfermot/Inchicore in the late 80's and it was the glass bottles of milk/oj we were delivering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Novella wrote: »
    Ah, I'm only 20 :)
    :rolleyes:

I am 21 and I remember it being delivered in bottles in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

I think it was a bit stupid to let us drink out of glass bottles in primary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

the crows and magpies were f@kers for peckin the foil lids

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those little one third bottles that they had in schools (this was in the UK) had wide tops and a cardboard circle that sat in a ridge at the top of the bottle. You punched out the bit in the middle to put a straw through. The cardboard rings were pulled out and used for making pompoms with.

My first job was with a firm called Austin Crompton Parkinson Electric Vehicles Limited, and since I was employed typing invoices I had to type that name dozens of times a day. They made the electric 'floats' that were used to deliver milk. The vehicle was quiet but the bottles rattled like mad.

The sterilised milk (early UHT) was sold in glass bottles with a long neck, like a beer bottle, also had a metal cap like a beer bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

MARGRET THATCHER STOLE THE MILK FROM THA LITTLE BABIES.

I remember getting a wee bottle of milk with a straw in it when I was a wee'un in nornirion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Where I came from we newer had milk man services. Though we could get proper milk in shops which was in triangle paper boxes/packets. You cut one end and "Gulp gulp gulp".

Awesome times... Old school soviet style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ah, those were the days. When the lady of the house left a note on the step saying "two today" and the milkman whistled for his colleague down the street to come and join him.:):):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

MARGRET THATCHER STOLE THE MILK FROM THA LITTLE BABIES. .

Not in Ireland, she didn't.

Jersey milk had a higher cream content. We used to get 3 pints of ordinary milk, and one of Jersey. The cream off the Jersey was reserved for father's tea.

Yes we used to nick the odd pint off a doorstep going home in the early morning after a party.

But I remember in my youth - early 60s - the milkman came around with a churn and we had to go out to him with a steel 2 pint container. He used fill it for us. That was a a large provincial town. (The milkman with the bottles was in Dublin. But his cart was pulled by a horse. Afterwards the little electric carts came in.) (actually this thread/post should really be here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Technique

Milk in glass bottles is still delivered in Derry. Apart from nicer tasting milk, the bottles come in handy during a bit of civil unrest. Is there anywhere else in Ireland where you can buy milk in bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

I remember sometimes the birds would peck through the lids which sometimes ment there was no cereal that day - hard times for a kid

• Advertisement

Not in Ireland, she didn't.

She did in the 6 counties administrated by the UK in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere where I couldfind non-homogenized milk, like the old style milk with the cream on top??? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

moceri wrote: »
    Prior to this, We had delivery of milk, from a milkman who drove a Horse and Cart.

I remember it well, I used to get the milk and he'd always give me a drop extra for the cat. He was also the first van that started delivering the milk in our area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

(actually this thread/post should really be here!)
    Meh. Leave it here were we can amaze the young'uns with tales of horseless carriages and tuppence farthing worth of sweets and cinemas where you could smoke. If they come over to the O&O forum they'll just make noise during my naptime. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I am 21 and I remember it being delivered in bottles in Dublin.

Me too, My nan used to use the glass bottle as a rolling pin as well, she could never understand why people bought rolling pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    I think it was a bit stupid to let us drink out of glass bottles in primary schools.

Twas indeed, more kids died during the 70's stabbing themselves to death with broken milk bottles in high infants classes than died in the Great Famine and the Black Death combined.

The wanton carnage only stopped when they introduced "handling glass bottles and jars" as an Inter Cert subject in 1983. IIRC the teacher had to wear a hi-viz jacket, safety shoes and safety gloves during the demonstrations. :rolleyes:

MARGRET THATCHER STOLE THE MILK FROM THA LITTLE BABIES.

I think it was one of the first things she did as Minister for Education to cut down costs, led to the chant:

"MARGRET THATCHER, MILK SNATCHER!!!"

Patri wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere where I couldfind non-homogenized milk, like the old style milk with the cream on top??? Thanks :)

I'm not sure there's any way udder than cartons to get milk theses days.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

We used get a bag of milk in primary school. You could buy bigger bags in the shops that you just snipped the corner off and sat into a jug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I think I still have an Italia '90 glass milk bottle stashed away somewhere

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    I think I still have an Italia '90 glass milk bottle stashed away somewhere

That's smashing!

Advertisement