Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭barryi200

ANYONE recomend sites for X5's in the UK??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Miccko

Detune wrote: »
    - VRT man inspected the car - popped the bonnet and looked at the chassis number. DID NOT check the mileage - strangely.
    - Said "This will have to be faxed to Rosslare as they always have to check the extras on these"
    Cheers - Detune

What exactly do they check when they send the chassis number to Rosslare?

What details does the chassis number provide? Everything it left the factory with? Who's owned it since then?

Or, to put my question another way, is the mileage centrally recorded anywhere, or does it just appear on the invoice? Does it go on Section 11 of the V5C or is it centrally recorded by manufacturer?

The car I'm looking at is just over 6 months old, but just under 6,000km - not by much though. Driving it home will bring it over the 6,000km.

Should I go ahead with it, or wait, and not put the transaction through until it's over 6,000km in the UK? The dealer has offered to run up the miles if I want. I'm worried that revenue will look into it in minute detail as it's so close to both VAT thresholds and even though it'll be over 6,000km when I knock on their door, they might look into it and see somewhere (?) that it was under 6,000 when the deal officially went through.

Any thoughts?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

safest bet is to get it off them at over 6000km Micko, then you are covered if the official you deal with suspects you bought it below 6k and ran them up yourself. You have the invoice to prove that you didn't.

The chassis number just lets Rosslare check what the extras fitted at factory are. The mileage will only be on the invoice, but they may ask to see it if they are concerned about the mileage.

sound - heading over next Saturday to grab my 320D. Can't wait! Particularly as this is my first ever car purchase, my current car being a hand me down with over 200,000 miles on it. She's served me well, but its time I moved on...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

Lads I cant get this bloody VRT calculator workin! So hoping an educated motor expert could tell me straight off what the VRT cost would be on a BMW 318 coupe 02/03 on 90,000 miles....?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

2002 1.9 details as you said
    Vrt =€2672

2002 1.9 details as you said
    Vrt =€2672

Cheers man! Would a 03 be any cheaper?

Does VRT differ when cars come from northern ireland than from england??

03mcgs0 wrote: »
    Cheers man! Would a 03 be any cheaper?

Does VRT differ when cars come from northern ireland than from england??

No it works as a percent (from the emissions of the car) of the OMSP (open market selling price). So basically it's 28% of €9,200 roughly.

The OMSP of the 03 will be higher, so therefore VRT will be higher. I'll check it for you. It is a 1.9 ya?

Both prices are manual. Omsp of a 03 318 coupe is €12814 and the VRT is €3587..

• Advertisement

No it works as a percent (from the emissions of the car) of the OMSP (open market selling price). So basically it's 28% of €9,200 roughly.

The OMSP of the 03 will be higher, so therefore VRT will be higher. I'll check it for you. It is a 1.9 ya?

Yeah 1.9, say if the car was worth €6,000? god VRT is a killer, isn't it, love if there was a way round it!

Yeah 1.9, say if the car was worth €6,000? god VRT is a killer, isn't it, love if there was a way round it!

Well if you can prove the car is worth 6k (ie. finding cars the exact same for sale in dealers etc. for that) you can appeal the VRT. But the sickening bit is you can only appeal it after you pay it.

Well if you can prove the car is worth 6k (ie. finding cars the exact same for sale in dealers etc. for that) you can appeal the VRT. But the sickening bit is you can only appeal it after you pay it.

Such a killer, thanks for your help man

Such a killer, thanks for your help man

Your grand, good luck with the new motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

I'm looking at bringing in a Honda Accord first registered in April '08 with 7,078 mls on the clock.

I won't have to pay VAT on that I know but my question relates to motor tax. What tax system will I be placed on, engine size or CO2 emissions?

Sorry Limerick just another question,

Say if i can find other cars in the 6k region, and have a vaild case. What are the chances of getting some of my VRT money back...? Bet its slim.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

madds wrote: »
    I'm looking at bringing in a Honda Accord first registered in April '08 ... What tax system will I be placed on, engine size or CO2 emissions?

Your road tax on any 08 car will be based on Co2.

Sorry Limerick just another question,

Say if i can find other cars in the 6k region, and have a vaild case. What are the chances of getting some of my VRT money back...? Bet its slim.....

I won't lie to you and tell you i know, because i don't. Have a read back a few pages on this there was recent talk on this topic. If you can prove it, with the same spec cars from a few dealers then you have your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

ned78 wrote: »
    Your road tax on any 08 car will be based on Co2.
    Is this true? Would it not be just on cars first registered abroad after July 08?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

air wrote: »
    Is this true? Would it not be just on cars first registered abroad after July 08?

It's on cars registered after 1st January 2008. The changes were put in place on the 1st July 2008, but any car registered between January and end of June could choose whether to be taxed on the old engine size system, or the new CO system at the next tax renewal.

Any 2008 cars imported after the 1st July 2008 are automatically put on to the CO2 system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

If you bring in a car from the UK and VRT, how strict are they on charging for extras?

Do you get nailed for evertything or do you get away with most of it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you bring in a car from the UK and VRT, how strict are they on charging for extras?

Depends- they have been getting very bolshie of late- but you invite trouble by bringing in what may be considered to be a luxury marque......

You might be surprised at what you get charged for, and what you get away with at the end of the day- but its not safe to make any assumptions......

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

Hi guys
    was just wondering this myself. Am looking at a 07 318d sport in the uk for 13500 pounds. I had calculated using VRT.IE that i would have to pay out another 5000 euro when i get home on VRT but now i'm worried that when i go to reg it i'll get hit for chargable extras. Anyone have any idea what these might be. The car is not overly specced or anything, just the usual climate control, cruise control, elec mirrors and windows. Could i be stung for another 3-4 k on chargable extras on this car??
    Also on the point of registering the car, i would be hoping to sell this car pretty quickly once home so i was wondering should i hold off on registering it until i have a buyer and then reg it in their name or can this be done at all. I reckon it's a lot of hardship to reg the car in my name only to sell it on again for someone else to have register it in their name shortly afterwards.
    Any advice would be welcome.
    Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Contact the UK dealer/seller and get a list of the options on the car. If they don't have that info get the chassis number and contact BMW UK, they will tell you. Then contact an Irish dealer and get the price of those options here (even if they are current 3 series prices), then work out the percentage based on whatever the VRT rate is on your car. It's not an exact science but will give you a close approximate. You won't pat VRT on things like elec windows/mirrors, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

madds wrote: »
    I'm looking at bringing in a Honda Accord first registered in April '08 with 7,078 mls on the clock.

I won't have to pay VAT on that I know but my question relates to motor tax. What tax system will I be placed on, engine size or CO2 emissions?

As mentioned above you pay on new CO2 motor tax rates.

What kind of price do you think will get? Might be looking at something similar myself next month...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

Contact the UK dealer/seller and get a list of the options on the car. If they don't have that info get the chassis number and contact BMW UK, they will tell you. Then contact an Irish dealer and get the price of those options here (even if they are current 3 series prices), then work out the percentage based on whatever the VRT rate is on your car. It's not an exact science but will give you a close approximate. You won't pat VRT on things like elec windows/mirrors, etc.
    HI Stevie, thx for the advice
    i understand about getting the chassis no for the full spec of the car etc but do you mean for me to then contact an irish dealer to get a price for the car in our market ?
    Could i get the full spec of the car and send it to the VRT office before i purchase the car and that way get an exact amount before the deal goes through??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

imola94 wrote: »
    HI Stevie, thx for the advice
    i understand about getting the chassis no for the full spec of the car etc but do you mean for me to then contact an irish dealer to get a price for the car in our market ?
    Could i get the full spec of the car and send it to the VRT office before i purchase the car and that way get an exact amount before the deal goes through??

If you want to get an idea of what the options will cost you then my previous post is the best way. Find out what options are on it, get an Irish dealer to give you the price of those options on a current 3 series and then work out the VRT on that. I doubt the car you are looking at is loaded with extras so I don't think you will have to pay much above the online VRT figure.

Don't worry about the full spec, the online VRT calculator will give you the figure for the car.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

your best bet is to just use bmw.ie and configure a car the same spec as you are buying and see what the extras come to. if you post a link, would be able to give you a rough idea. usually a dealer will list all options in their ad.

take the total, depreciate it by 25% a year then take the vrt rate of the final total you have.

eg one year old car, metallic, leather, wheel upgrade and say audio upgrade. total 4k on bmw.ie
    25% depreciation - 3k total.
    vrt rate 16% - 480 extra vrt to pay on what ROS told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭millhousegirl

Just a query on tax rates when were on the subject.

Im looking at importing a 06' BMW 320d from the UK. Seeing as I'll be registering it Ireland for the first time in 2009, will it be under the new CO2 emission rates or the only motor tax rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Miccko wrote: »
    Hi all,

...I suggested getting an independent RAC check done - dealer said it wasn't necessary as they're a main dealer and the car is an 08 reg demo model in perfect condition. It's a BMW main dealer and has most of the 3 year warranty left. I know their checks aren't "independent", but would anyone still get the RAC check done on a 6 month old car with hardly any mileage?
    If I was buying the same car in Joe Duffy BMW, I probably wouldn't, but maybe that's not a wise thing to do either! I can check a few things online myself anyway.....
    Micko

I saw this post and until very recently I would have agreed it'd be a waste of money.
    However.........
    A friend on my advice was buying a similar car - german from a main dealer and not being even slightly mechanical wanted it checked for peace of mind when he flew into collect it. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind if you're not willing/able to get down on the ground and take a look about yourself. So the RAC came back to say the car had damage underneath :eek:- probably from hitting a speedbump that would need fixing to avoid corrosion and loss of value.

To cap it all they reported it had over a thousand more miles than advertised. Not much on a five year old car but under a year that's more than 10%.

Was the dealer bothered? Not a bit - agreed to make good the underneath but no compensation on the mileage or breach of trust. In fact his attitude was "take it or leave it -I've plenty more customers ready for that car". NB get them to take the car off the website as soon as you pay a deposit. He only had to apologize and show some goodwill e.g. throw a set of mats or a tank of fuel in but came over all stroppy.

So be warned - it was a shock to me as I'd have been the same as all other respondents - main dealer, few months old, manufacturers warranty i.e. waste of money getting the RAC.

I also thinks it typifies the UK dealers attitude to this gold rush from Ireland. We're buying cars at a time they're not expecting to sell and we're cash buyers but a lot of us are chasing the same cars and if you think the farthest reaches of the UK haven't been contacted from here think again. I'm finding a lot of them have neither the interest or motivation to try sell to us with basic questions like Co2 etc not being answered - that's if they follow up at all on enquiries - even by phone. I'm talking about the obvious big online dealerships as well as the single dealers. This incident shows it may not just be Paddy paranoia!

Finally could I ask the Mods to start turfing out the " I haven't time to read this thread but...... or what car should I buy posters "? This is a great thread but goes way off topic at times spoon feeding lazy muppets. This is making it harder than ever to read through for a noobie. I appreciate there are relevant questions on the right car from a VRT perspective like Co2 but the info is already on here and/or on the customs website and the thread search engine works real well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement