Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wii Music and Pocket Money Racing or similar sh1te.

No, the Wii is almost worthless now as a traded in console, despite it having a respectable back catalogue of titles.

I suppose there is no better time to pick one up and mod the fup out of it, get some of the emu's running and, if you're that way inclined, be aware it's a cost effective way to play imported GC games without having to mod your GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Backwards compatibility is something which always seems to instantly render the previous console worthless in a monetary sense.

Saw it with the PS1, Gamecube and now the Wii. Nobody really had any reason to keep them at all as soon as the PS2, Wii and WiiU came out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But the GC has a porpoise now that the WiiU has replaced the Wii in, sadly, far too few households.
    With some using the WiiU for Wii titles the GC gets to claim its rights to its own software again!

Master of the Universe

That's an interesting point actually. The same thing could be said for PS3 backwards compatibility making the PS2 redundant (but then a new need for a PS1 if you wanted to play physical copies)

Similarly found that I was using the DS to play all my GBA games. After the GBA slot was removed from the 3DS it's pushed me back to original GBA hardware for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I thought they removed the backwards compatibility from the PS3 when they removed the Linux support. Funnily enough, a friend of mine got one of the newer model PS3s when they came out (it think it's the super slim, the top loading one) and it plays PS1 discs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

All the PS3 have always been capable of playing PS1 games, its only PS2 emulation that was cut.

I didn't know that. I assumed when they removed backwards compatibility they took the lot. Was there any reason they took PS2 compatibility and left in the PS1 compatibility?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS3 has a PS1 chipset on board on all models. Think it's used as an audio controller. The PS2 chipset is only in early Japanese and US models. Early EU models used dodgy emulation and subsequent hardware revisions made it in compatible with that emulation.

And yet PS2 games were sold via PSN later, presumably played through emulation.
    It simply wasn't a money spinner, so why invest in it.
    At least it wasn't the embarrassment that the Xbox emu was on the 360.

Master of the Universe

Ahhh I did not know that. I thought it was only backwards compatible with the PS2. That's my 'new thing learned' for today.

Sounds like a similar setup to the Megadrive/Mastersystem Z80 chip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And yet PS2 games were sold via PSN later, presumably played through emulation.
    It simply wasn't a money spinner, so why invest in it.
    At least it wasn't the embarrassment that the Xbox emu was on the 360.

In Sony's defence it's a much better emulator that had been constantly worked on to increase compatibility.

It's all academic now anyway.
    PS, PS2 and Xbox are all cheap as chips, no need for emulation you can just get the original hardware, plenty of spares online too.
    A region free PS2 and a modded Wii would seem to be the way to go tbh, every PS, PS2, Wii and GC game ever released will run on those two consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

It's all academic now anyway.
    PS, PS2 and Xbox are all cheap as chips, no need for emulation you can just get the original hardware, plenty of spares online too.
    A region free PS2 and a modded Wii would seem to be the way to go tbh, every PS, PS2, Wii and GC game ever released will run on those two consoles.

Would the ps2 hd setup not load any region games? Like bypass the region check.

Master of the Universe

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Would the ps2 hd setup not load any region games? Like bypass the region check.

Yep! Loaded loads up over the weekend and they all worked great.

Between the Wii and PS2's harddrive mods you have a mountain of stuff covered.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yep! Loaded loads up over the weekend and they all worked great.

Between the Wii and PS2's harddrive mods you have a mountain of stuff covered.

These are, of course, legally held games that you've backed up to the HDD..... ahem..... ;)

Master of the Universe

Most of them are in that shared Arcade & Retro warehouse, you know, the one where everyone on the forum owns every game ever made. It's quite a sight to behold :D

It'll be a great combo with that console >jamma adapter. Loads of great arcade ports to run on the cabs.

It'd be amazing alright, to have all of those shmups and arcade ports, with the Tate option enabled, piped straight into the cab.....
    Come on Last Bandit!

It'd be amazing alright, to have all of those shmups and arcade ports, with the Tate option enabled, piped straight into the cab.....
    Come on Last Bandit!

Well now that you mention it, I did get the PS2 basic (i.e. d-pad + buttons) functionality working yesterday - hoping to get the analogue sticks done soon.

Waiting on parts to try and fix the audio stuff :(

NTSC games can be copied to HD from a PC. It still won't read different region discs even if chipped strangely. (that's within the HD Loader.)

Well now that you mention it, I did get the PS2 basic (i.e. d-pad + buttons) functionality working yesterday - hoping to get the analogue sticks done soon.

Waiting on parts to try and fix the audio stuff :(

For a moment I thought you typed "pants", I had awful visions of hardship in the Bandit household, as well as the need for visitors not to sit on any absorbent upholstery....

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    NTSC games can be copied to HD from a PC. It still won't read different region discs even if chipped strangely. (that's within the HD Loader.)

I'm going to go down that road then, it makes the most sense given the limited 60hz options on PAL games. I picked up a working ps2 and Wii both with controllers for 20 quid, now's the time to be picking up a few spares for the future.

Cheap nintendo bundle over on Adverts, not to well up on the NES prices although this seems like pure dreamer material. 450 euros, I have no words.

MGQ5NTg0ZDU1NTM1ZmVjYjc3NzNlZjI3ODNmNGIyNDdh6RfL-L6GFryI84PdtNz6aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYThlYjk1MDVlMTBjOGRiMTg3ZmY4MGE4MmZiYWZhOTY0ZDdhYjBiYTRiODBmMWY1OTFlMjBlYzBjNWRkYzU4Yi5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg
    http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-bundle/6629807

I certainly have words for that.. but they'd only upset the swear filter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I read that price wrong at first, thought it was only €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

"screen protector is a bit loose"

Yeah or maybe just after falling off

haha yeh if you look at the pics its clearly off the gameboy! i didnt even spot that before.

Looks like the ad was up yesterday too. I can only see her comments. Looks like some people called her out on it, she said she didn't know what it was worth and the she would take it down and re-list it. If that the re-listed price I shudder at the thought of the original price.

Just looked at the ad from yesterday, looks like its sealed, though i dunno how the screen cover came off if it is. unless the glue dryed up or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

How much is that worth? Assuming the screen wasn't busted?

Advertisement