Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Aliya Wailing Bench

Saturday
    No LSR completed due to time constraints and still feeling like a womble!!

Sunday
    Long Bike - Performance Test
    The last time i was properly on the bike was Nov 21st so decided i would do the course again to see if the last 5 weeks on the turbo has helped. Still feeling a bit sniffly and it was brass monkeys outside so i put on two pairs of gloves, tri suit with cycling tights underneath, base layer, cycling top, cycling jacket, waterproof jacket over and hat under helmet. I was still bloody cold.
    Anyway to draw a comparison, stats from both sessions
    Distance: 56.19km
    Time: 2:12:31
    Avg pace: 2.22 per km
    Avg speed: 25.4kmph
    Avg HR 144
    Distance: 56.02km
    Time: 2:04:00 (7% improvement)
    Avg pace: 2.12 per km (5% improvement)
    Avg speed: 27.1kmph (7% improvement)
    Avg HR 144 exact same
    Summary

Overall happy with that as not at 100% and the conditions felt windier today. Still making progress and a sub 6 hour bike could still be on the cards with another 10-15% improvement in the next 30 weeks.

Week 7 Summary
    28 - 02January|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|5|4:35|107.1km
    Swimming|0|0|0km
    Cycling|2|3:04|89km
    Running|3|1:31|18.1km
    Conditioning|0|0|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|Swim coaching

Totals so far
    15 Nov-02 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|71|63:10|1023.2km
    Swimming|14|10:49|28.2km
    Cycling|20|22:51|731km
    Running|28|22:30|264km
    Conditioning|6|5:30|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|3|1:30|Swim coaching

Very dissapointing week, no swims completed due to the gym closing a crazy number of days over the holiday period and generally only hitting about 50% of planned volume for the week due to sickness.
    Due a recovery week this week but will rerun the planned week 7 numbers and take a recovery week next week. I have 4 weeks to play with in my plan between now and IMUK so no real panic. The missus is due in 3 weeks so i plan to have another light week around that time which will then see me into the build phase of my training plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Myself and Oisin will be doing that run in the park on saturday if you're still interested. Probably about 18 miles at 8:30ish pace...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Myself and Oisin will be doing that run in the park on saturday if you're still interested. Probably about 18 miles at 8:30ish pace...

Yeah Niall well up for that, what time? I assume meeting at the Papal Cross car park? 8.30 pace is fine aswell.

Yeah Niall well up for that, what time? I assume meeting at the Papal Cross car park? 8.30 pace is fine aswell.

Not sure time, will get back to you on that. Probably around 10am. Yes at papal X car park.

• Advertisement

Monday
    Swim - Planned 60 minutes
    Tough going after the week break but felt better as the session went on.
    200 warm up and 10x300@20 sec rest
    Distance: 3.2km
    Time: 71 mins

Run - Planned 60 minutes
    My first proper run in a few days, started off very slugish with the first few miles rolling in 8.50/8.46/8.48 kick started the engine with a 7.36 and then hovered around 8.30 after that. Ended up running longer as i wanted to get miles into the legs and i am trying to find my running mojo back.
    Distance: 15.9km
    Time: 1:24:56
    Pace: 5.20km/8.35mile
    HR: 148
    Summary

Started the new diet today, early doors but enjoyed my salmon fillet and salad (no dressing) dinner:o

Tuesday
    Run - Lunchtime Run Z2
    Going to go on a bit of a running streak for a few days so set off for a quick run at lunchtime. Kept the pace steady throughout and shortened my stride up the hills, i checked my cadence 3 times through the run and was hitting 88 each time.
    Distance: 5.6km
    Time: 26:35
    Pace: 4.44km/7.38mile
    HR: 158

Swim Coaching - 40 minutes
    I will probably do this for one more week and then allocate this time to a yoga session as i am getting very little out of the coaching (standard pretty bad)
    Distance: 1.1km
    Time: 40 mins

Core work out - 30 minutes
    A quick workout at home when i got back from the swim followed by a few stretches with the foam roller as the quads are tight.

Day 2 of diet and the detoxing is well under way, felt a bit light headed today at times.
    Up at 6am for a heavy enough swim session in the morning, yipeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lots of good work going on there JB you will cruise sub12 with that work ethic ;) Good stuff on the 10*300s thats a solid session. I'm hitting 88 on the running too but it doesn't feel natural yet. I've started to ween myself off the crap too but its a slow process for me

Lots of good work going on there JB you will cruise sub12 with that work ethic ;) Good stuff on the 10*300s thats a solid session. I'm hitting 88 on the running too but it doesn't feel natural yet. I've started to ween myself off the crap too but its a slow process for me

Cheers Shotgun not sure about cruising the sub 12 just yet but will keep up the volume and revise in a few months.

I was thinking we must try organise a Long Bike Ride (4-5 hours) somewhere central and get a few of the HIM/IM posters out for a group spin later in the year, would be good craic.

Wednesday
    AM Swim - planned 2.5km straight
    Up at 6am and into the pool at 6.30am, tough to get going but once i got a few lengths i was fine. Struggled in the last 15 lengths or so and had to do a few bstroke recovery lengths mixed in to keep things moving along. Right shoulder is slightly sore could be shoulder doms. I really need to get something into me before these early morning sessions as the hunger pangs heading into work were unbearable.
    Distance: 2.5km
    Splits: 1k split: 24:35, 2k split 25:05 and the last 500 was a 13.52 so need to continue working on swim endurance.
    Total Time: 63:32

Lunchtime Run - 40 min Z2
    Decided to continue with the running streak and set out at lunchtime. The plan was to hold a steady 8 min mile pace including two hills on the route. Running cadence was 86 and increased to 90 on the hills as i shortened my stride. Good session and felt strong throughout
    Distance: 7.9km
    Time: 38:40
    Pace: 4.57km/7.58mile
    HR: HRM not working

Nightime brick session - 45min bike 15 min run
    Loaded up a hilly session on the turbo and kicked off. Legs felt a bit weary for the first few minutes but soon had the power and cadence up. I was constantly shifting up and down the gears as there was continous rolling hills. Tough enough section with 530 mtrs of climbing (some 12/13% gradients), a fair bit of climbing in just 26kms.
    Distance: 26.3km
    Time: 45
    Power: 235
    Cadence: 98
    Speed: 35kpmh
    A quick change into two dry layers and i was off out, even after a long day i felt good and tried to hold 7.30 mile pace for the 15 minutes. Alas the legs started to weaken in the last 2/3 minutes after what has been a long but productive day.
    Distance: 3.9km
    Time: 18:22
    Pace: 4.42km/7.34mile

Into day 3 of the diet and it's going really well, had a quick check on the scales and i have dropped 4 pounds already.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Gym session - 1 hour lunchtime
    5 minute stretch (stiff from yesterday)
    Leg Curl - 45x15x1, 50x15x1
    Leg Extension - 50x15x2
    Leg Press - 110x15, 120x15
    Bench Press - 50x8, 55x8, 60x8
    Squats - 80x8, 90x8, 100x8
    Hyperextension - 10kg weight/15x2
    Situps 30x3
    20 minute core work
    10 minute stretch and cool down

Bike - 60 minute zone 1 maintain 100+ cadence
    Kids were out with the missus so got my hour in early tonight before they got home. Took it easy tonight after last nights tough session.
    Distance: 34.5km
    Avg speed: 34.5kmph
    Cadence: 107
    Power: 185 watt
    Avg HR: 126

Friday
    Lunchtime Run - 60 min Z1/2 easy
    Legs heavy enough from the gym yesterday and with a long run planned for Saturday morning i took this one easier than i normally would. I am convinced the HRM does not like some of my clothing as the reading for the pace does not look right at all, felt nowhere near that effort. Miscalcuted route by 2km which resulted in an earlier finish!!
    Distance: 9km
    Time: 48:32
    Pace: 5.27km/8.47mile
    HR: 158 (yeah right)

PM Swim - planned 2.5km
    We will mark this down as one of those sessions you want to forget quickly. Struggled throughout and never got into it.
    300mtr warm up
    1x300 @ 40 sec rest
    4X200 @ 30 sec rest
    1x300 @ 40 sec rest
    200 mtr cool down
    8x50 drills (hated these tonight)
    Distance: 2.3km
    Total Time: 62 mins

Saturday
    LSR - Planned 150 mins
    Group session in the Phoenix Park which consisted of me, Menescomo and Ainman who was doing one loop of the course. The plan was to run at a pace of 8.30, we done the first loop closer to 9 min miles but picked up the second half to finish off at an average pace of 5.23km/8.40 min mile. Really enjoyed the company and the run itself, felt fine throughout bar a stitch around the 23km mark which i ran off quick enough. Legs feel ok after so recovery is certainly improving on these long runs. We passed the cars at mile 17.3 and given Menescomo is a garmin nut we had to pass the finish point to clock up the 18 mile:pac:
    HRM obviously still on the blink graph looks like the Wicklow Mountains.
    Distance: 29.1km
    Time: 2:36:54
    Pace: 5.23km/8.40mile
    HR: 154
    Summary

Jaysus 2.5 hours is a quality LSR. Great to have the company for it. Did you have water/gels with you? The garmin spikes can be annoying alright

Your Graph looks nearly as spiky as mine, there must have been something in the air.
    Also Wondering how the hell you did 2 seconds per mile faster than me :confused: :pac: Damn Garmins aren't really that accurate when you think about it.

Jaysus 2.5 hours is a quality LSR. Great to have the company for it. Did you have water/gels with you? The garmin spikes can be annoying alright

Yeah it makes it so much easier when you are out running with someone for the long ones. I have The London Marathon in April so will be maintaining the long runs as much as possible until then. No water/gels with me but i think i will next time, i was that hungry around 2hrs 15 i was going to eat a small dog that we passed.
    Your Graph looks nearly as spiky as mine, there must have been something in the air.
    Also Wondering how the hell you did 2 seconds per mile faster than me :confused: :pac: Damn Garmins aren't really that accurate when you think about it.

Yeah cannot soley rely on the garmin HRM which is a pain. The 2 seconds per mile quicker is all down to technique and slipstreaming:) I reckon your gonna nail that time for the Conn Ultra. We should arrange another run 8-20/8.30 pace LSR for the week after Waterford if your about...... although this is dependant if mini jackyback has made an arrival:rolleyes:

We should arrange another run 8-20/8.30 pace LSR for the week after Waterford if your about...... although this is dependant if mini Aliya Wailing Bench has made an arrival:rolleyes:

That works for me. It would have to be on the saturday morning again as I have a christening to go to on the sunday.

That works for me. It would have to be on the saturday morning again as I have a christening to go to on the sunday.

Cool i will text you closer to the time, hopefully see you down in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Enjoyed reading your log there jacky and you seem to be a very well motivated individual. Well done on your achievements up to now especially the weight loss-fair play! A friend of mine is doing IMUK so I may be there on the day to shout you on.

That turbo software looks the business too. I hope MCOS doesn't mind if I steal his table format for the week end summary too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Good to meet up with you today. Next time I'll tag along for longer, once the legs remember what they are suppose to do :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Good to meet up with you today. Next time I'll tag along for longer, once the legs remember what they are suppose to do :D

Yeah good to meet up hopefully you will get out longer with us next time, that Meno can be a bit of a slave driver on the hills:)

• Advertisement

Enjoyed reading your log there jacky and you seem to be a very well motivated individual. Well done on your achievements up to now especially the weight loss-fair play! A friend of mine is doing IMUK so I may be there on the day to shout you on.

That turbo software looks the business too. I hope MCOS doesn't mind if I steal his table format for the week end summary too ;)

I think Shotgun has copyrighted them tables for use by third parties after i done a copy and paste job lol.

Sunday - Long Bike 180 mins
    Set the alarm for 6am and hit snooze 2/3 times before finally rising. Had a look out and as expected it was far to icy outside to ride out on so went with plan b on the turbo. I had set up a GPS route of the full M1 route Port Tunnel to Newry on the Tacx Turbo the night before so went with that route.
    Started at 7am as i needed to get this done early today, felt grand all the way through and in fact the longer the ride went on the better i felt. Took on 500ml of water, 500ml sports drink along with an energy gel and bar - more trialing different nutrition strategies more than anything.
    Time: 180 mins
    Distance: 104.8km
    Cadence: 98
    Power: 204
    HRM: 1st hour 134 (70% FTP), 2nd hour 131 (68% FTP), 3rd hour 133 (69% FTP), overall avg 133

wk8longspin.jpg

Week 8 Summary
    03 - 09 January|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|15|16:25|246.1km
    Swimming|3|3.16:30|9.1km
    Cycling|3|4:45|165.6km
    Running|6|6:13:30|71.4km
    Conditioning|2|1:30|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|1|0:40|Swim coaching

Totals so far
    15 Nov-09 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|86|79:35|1269.3km
    Swimming|17|14:05:30|37.3km
    Cycling|23|27:36|896.6km
    Running|34|28:43:30|335.4km
    Conditioning|8|7:00|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|4|2:10|Swim coaching

Biggest week so far since i started my IM training and the body has held up well. Happy with the majority of the sessions put in for the week and if i am honest i thought i would struggle with the new diet as there is not many carbs in it but plenty of proteins etc. I actually feel sharper/stronger and have lost a good chunk of weight during the week, now tipping 69kg on the scales so not far off race weight (2 or 3kg).
    Excluding the gym/swim coaching this is probably only 50% of what a peak week is going to look like:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Some serious output there...16hrs per week in Jan!

69k is still above race weight? I can only dream:)

I think Shotgun has copyrighted them tables for use by third parties after i done a copy and paste job lol.

LOL :D Very solid week put down there JB and as for 69kg.. Last time I was that weight I was about 12yrs old:rolleyes:

Izoard wrote: »
    Some serious output there...16hrs per week in Jan!

69k is still above race weight? I can only dream:)

Cheers Izo, well i am a shortass at only 5ft 7 and a half (the half is very important) so targeting 66/67kg is probably not too far off.
    LOL :D Very solid week put down there JB and as for 69kg.. Last time I was that weight I was about 12yrs old:rolleyes:

Cheers Shotgun, yeah last time i was anywhere near that weight was my late teens. The positive thing is that i am still feeling strong/sharper at that weight although i will keep an eye on any loss of power and or muscle.
    I would say the BF % is probably under 9% at this stage, it would be sweet to get down to 7%.

Edited to say i am weary that this is my 1st proper season doing any tri related stuff so a complete newbie. If any of the more experienced on here think i am doing anything wrong please do let me know.

Monday
    Lunchtime Recovery Run
    Headed out for a gentle recovery run at a nice and easy slow pace to ease the legs back into it after a high mileage weekend. Concentrated on my running form and breathing throughout.
    Distance: 8.1kms
    Time: 46:15
    Pace: 5:41km/9.10mile
    Avg HR: 142

PM Swim - Planned 3k
    This was due to be a 6.30am session but the kids were taking turns waking up leaving poor Daddy Jackyback like a zombie this morning. I fogot there is a group session on every Monday night and the pool was packed so i knew getting my full session in would be difficult.
    WU - 300, 2x250, 1x500, 4x250, CD 200.
    I missed out on a 1x500 but did end up in the middle of the group session for most of it and i was constantly being put under pressure to keep the pace up. Lost track of time in the madness of it all.
    Distance: 2.5k
    Time: ??? about 50 minutes i reckon

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Strides
    I normally do one 15/16km run during the week but today it will be split into two. For the lunchtime run I went with 800 mtrs steady and 200 mtr strides for every km i covered.

Distance: 11.3kms
    Time: 54:05
    Pace: 4:47km/7:42mile
    Avg HR: 156, it was reading 183 at the start:rolleyes:

Plan for tonight is a swim coaching session and another 5k run probably at a slower pace than todays run.

Tuesday PM
    Run in the pissing rain
    Dropped the bag at the gym and headed out for a quick 5k before my swim coaching. Legs felt fine and for some reason i really enjoy plodding along in the rain.
    Distance: 5.6kms
    Time: 29:33
    Pace: 5:16km/8.29mile
    Avg HR: 147

Swim Coaching
    Mostly drills tonight and i found it very good. Instructor corrected a few issues with my stroke which i must remember in my AM session tomorrow. Done 325 mtrs after the session to bring it up to an even 1km (darn that bloody SCR Challenge)
    Distance: 1km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Tuesday PM
    Run in the pissing rain
    Dropped the bag at the gym and headed out for a quick 5k before my swim coaching. Legs felt fine and for some reason i really enjoy plodding along in the rain.
    Distance: 5.6kms
    Time: 54:05
    Pace: 5:16km/8.29mile
    Avg HR: 147

Swim Coaching
    Mostly drills tonight and i found it very good. Instructor corrected a few issues with my stroke which i must remember in my AM session tomorrow. Done 325 mtrs after the session to bring it up to an even 1km (darn that bloody SCR Challenge)
    Distance: 1km

Good stuff Jacky. I love drill sessions myself. I presume you did the 5k slightly faster than 54min 05sec :p

Advertisement