Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turn-Offs!

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Women who go out basically in the nip. In winter. I know it's a nightclub or whatever, but that's not going to attract the right kind of attention.....
    Ehhh yes it will. Mine. :D I agree with you though.

Belly tops. Look the term belly top does not mean because you have a belly....... Very very few women can pull that look off. They're like leather trousers on men. Maybe 1% can get away with it. the rest? No. Just no. as a codicil to that; overly tight clothing. Look you're a 12 or a 14 or whatever. You look good. It's cool. You look silly in a size 8 or 10. Look good not silly.

Orange makeup. Again no. Do you have a mirror in your house?

Women with no bums. doesn't matter the size of the woman in question. You know what I mean. Women with no hips, more to the point no waist. Hourglass good no matter the number on the label.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Do any women drink Guinness? I've yet to see it, but I would marry her..... I reckon a shared passion of such beauty will see us through.

Yes there are, had a few pints of it last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Just to clarify it's not women who drink guinness that turn me off. Just so long as she doesn't want to kiss me right after!!!! Top off something with a nicer taste/smell afterwards - baileys for example ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Do any women drink Guinness? I've yet to see it, but I would marry her.....

Led a sheltered existance, have you? Of course women drink Guinness, I know many who do. And not just glasses, they're happy to skull pints with the best of them in Mulligans. One in particular would drink most men under the table, and she's only a tiny little thing. It's scary watching her in action sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

One of my good friends loves pints of guinness but when she moved from down in the shticks up to the big smoke the girls up there told her to stop cos it wasn't ladylike!!!!!

Edited. Those who read it keep quiet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

turn offs for me...

'quirky' girls - coming out with 'out there' and 'zany' comments and ideas that are meant to show how 'alternative' they are and provoke you into a new way of thinking. nothing interesting to say at all so compensate by talking ****e...give me a break love, youre a ditzy headwrecker, you are not clever or funny.

clepto drunk women - get pissed and think they are gorgeous and threrfore can get away with anything - deftly (read: blatantly) rob the smoke out of your mouth and seductively take a drag while giving you the (googly) eye - give me my smoke back, biatch.

hair pulled back really tight in a poneytail/bun - it looks really severe, greasy and generally nasty, the skin on the forehead pulled up and pores open wide for all to see - dont do it unless your doing something which requires it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do any women drink Guinness?
    Yummmmmy! I love to sip a pint every now and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

There I was thinking to myself

"there's very little that would turn me off someone enough to stop me getting to know them and then realising that the turn-off is only a small thing after all"

when it hit me...Smoking

I could never, ever, ever be with someone who smokes. I've had a few one-nighters or even in one case a relationship in my earlier years with a lovely girl who smoked, but it was the main reason it broke up. I hate it, I hate the smell of it, the taste of it on someones lips, the acrid dryness of a tongue belonging to someone who's just finished a cigarette.

However I know a lot of people in serious and married relationships where one of them smokes and the other one doesn't. I have no idea how that works, but I just couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

turn offs for me...

'quirky' girls - coming out with 'out there' and 'zany' comments and ideas that are meant to show how 'alternative' they are and provoke you into a new way of thinking. nothing interesting to say at all so compensate by talking ****e...give me a break love, youre a ditzy headwrecker, you are not clever or funny.

The quirky thing drives me cracked! All I think when I'm out with a woman like that is "God, just be yourself and stop trying to hard".

My other big turnoff is women who don't just say what they think. I'm f**king fed up with guesswork!

fasty wrote: »
    The quirky thing drives me cracked! All I think when I'm out with a woman like that is "God, just be yourself and stop trying to hard".

I don't know anyone who acts quirky..... some of us are just genuinely wired. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Ok things about me that are a turn off.. I have big feet and yucky toes. I like my hands though.

In a man:
    Arrogance
    bad smells ( whether its ciggies,BO or breath)
    Generally unkempt appearance
    Cutting toe nails in bed
    long hair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who acts quirky..... some of us are just genuinely wired. :(

[German accent] You are soooo kooookeeeeeeee.[/German accent]:D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Turnoffs in a guy:

Arrogance
    Posers who look like they've spent longer getting ready than you have
    Men who look down on you for your taste in music not being 'cool' or alternative enough, unfortunately sometimes they just look so sexy on guitar you nearly forgive them for it!

Turnoffs in me:

Prob not very aestetically pleasing, shy and awkward as well, dunno how i bagged my oh;)

Have to say I love the old Guinness and Pringles breath tho:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I can be very quiet and shy, especially around new people, and even more so around guys. I've been known to blush :o I worry that guys will think I'm being rude, when really I'm just extremely shy. Some people find the 'quiet thing' weird. Well, I can't help it, it's just how I am. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

if i was a girl artsy types would be a major turnoff for me...i spent my days in school making artsy peoples lives a living hell. despise them

if i was a girl artsy types would be a major turnoff for me...i spent my days in school making artsy peoples lives a living hell. despise them

Why? What did they do to you?

generally annoyed me really. they tend to be nerds, and wayyyyyyy to addicted to art.

now i dont mean in all circumstances but my least favourite people in school were these clowns.

generally annoyed me really. they tend to be nerds, and wayyyyyyy to addicted to art.

now i dont mean in all circumstances but my least favourite people in school were these clowns.

What's wrong with being a nerd or really into art? It's cool if you don't like them , it just worrying that you said you made their life hell. Guess you wouldn't like me very much, lol! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You're right, what terrible things to be interested in. Degenerate moral-less fools.

Acacia wrote: »
    What's wrong with being a nerd or really into art? It's cool if you don't like them , it just worrying that you said you made their life hell. Guess you wouldn't like me very much, lol! :p

well i take each person as an individual first, so nah you probably be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have to admit my biggy is farting. I've never done it in front of a woman and if a woman deliberately does it in front of me it's game over. Literally. I've no problem at all with the general stuff. I've held womens hair when they were the worse for wear and it had to come up, sudden unannounced period, the sniffles and snotters of a bad cold etc. Not a problem, but farting just ..... no.

So if you were at the altar with the woman of your dreams gliding towards you in an ethereal cloud of lace and your face was splitting with the grin brought on by sheer happiness that this awesome being was committing to you and her nerves accidently caused her to let one rip.......... You'd call it off?????:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes. Yes I would. Plus if I found myself wearing a monkey suit and anyone showed up all ethereal, clouds of lace or not, in a church, with a priest, I would call it off simply because I would know she had drugged me....... ;):D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yes. Yes I would. Plus if I found myself wearing a monkey suit and anyone showed up all ethereal, clouds of lace or not, in a church, with a priest, I would call it off simply because I would know she had drugged me....... ;):D

Now that's just against tradition, you should have spent the previous night apart :(

Or would she have been drugging you over an extended period??

You're right, what terrible things to be interested in. Degenerate moral-less fools.

glad you understand...:rolleyes:

nouggatti wrote: »
    Now that's just against tradition, you should have spent the previous night apart :(

Or would she have been drugging you over an extended period??
    Extended period I would say, with large increasing doses of some serious goofballs to get me down the aisle.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Met this girl once. Smasher. Went in for some tongue on nip action and ended up getting a 2" hair up my nostril. So for me hairy nipps are a major turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Ya know when you're going through a really lousy time and you feel that the entire world is against you and then you think "oh maybe I'll turn to my OH to get a hug and I'll be okay, I just need some comforting" And well, that was a bad idea, because they're incredibly insensitive and make you feel needy.

Being an insensitive dick about things is such a turn off. Not girly things, but real life serious matters, such as loved ones being in hospitable, failing college subjects (to me this is pretty serious) and then just getting the cold shoulder from someone who claims they love you. Not on.

Other things?:
    prioritising mundane things over your OH, such as sports or television.
    bad BO
    being all up in my personal space when we're nothing more than friends

this was a bit of a rant. Apologies

Advertisement