Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭blog_blog_blog

fish taken in feb 2006 ,was spawning , 2 fish taken in 15 minutes 25lb and a 26lb, 3 guys on boat , after other bigger fish was caught unhooked and released, I cast into same area and caught this, Poached mates swim! Here other pic, pike twisted a bit n picture, but smashing fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭blog_blog_blog

24lb long lean summer fish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Some Brown trout from my local river The Aberdeenshire Don. All since 1st april on drys:)
    01042009345_edited-1.jpg
    10042009349-1.jpg
    11042009351_edited.jpg
    25042009364.jpg
    25042009366_edited.jpg
    25042009368_edited.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mrttattoo

dear demanufactured
    not me dangling fish by pliers thats a friend who had never caught pike before and was the only way he could hold it as u can see from the other pics i hold my fish carefully and on my mates first day out was tryin to show him how to handle them i was not on the boat for that fish otherwise would have corrected the issue.
    Mr T tattoo
    :mad::mad:!!!!!
    argh mrtattoe
    thats no way to hold a pike :mad:

crackin fish nice one! is it a river fish lovely markins
    24lb long lean summer fish

• Advertisement

Thanks for the support guys
    some people just here to criticise others, any tips on chinning pike would be great as have searched the net books everything i can and nothing!
    it is the only real way to hold em properly if ur trying to photograph them
    Mr T tattoo
    :D:D
    Chuileog wrote: »
    I agree a sticky would be a good idea as it seems like we have a fair few beginners on here. I would be happy to contribute some suggestions on handling trout, maybe some others could deal with pike, sea fish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

One of the 3 bass my father got last night.This fish is touching 5lbs and the other 2 were around the 2lb mark.

I got nothing :( ,only wet, landing that lad....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

mrttattoo wrote: »
    ... any tips on chinning pike would be great as have searched the net books everything i can and nothing!...

Andip just posted a new sticky thread on this very subject.
    Try hereTips on Unhooking and Safe Handling of Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

gversey wrote: »
    One of the 3 bass my father got last night.This fish is touching 5lbs and the other 2 were around the 2lb mark.

I got nothing :( ,only wet, landing that lad....

Nice fish. Where did ye get them?

Black Marlin my mate caught in spain.
    FirstMarlin03062009023.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

iphone23609246.jpg

first one on the fly

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

first one on the fly

Nice fish. Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 madcyril

was just about to gut this sea bass when a photo was called for.

caught in crosshaven, free-lining, @11pm. - 23/06/09

SeaBass.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

more technical info from sixpointfive and madcyril please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 madcyril

no prob doc.

twas around the 6 pound mark at a guess. never weighed it (was hungry and late).
    12 lb line, size 4/0 hook with a sliver of mackerel. 9ft surf caster .. can't remember spec of reel off hand.

caught by free line. casted about 20 yards, caught at about 10 yards.

rocky inlet, with plenty of kelp.

low tide, on the way out still for another hour, so was a bit suprised by the bass as I was fishing for pollock.

dusk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

IMG_0133.jpg

A nice little roach landed on the fly at Lough Gowna last weekend. We'd been out trolling for a few hours and caught nothing, so we pulled into shore to set up camp for the night. The we sat out on the back of the boat while it was landed, casting out spinners and lures etc just on the off chance. There was the odd trout rising so I thought I'd break out the fly rod and give some dries a go. The rises were very sporadic and hard to target so I ended up just casting out and letting it drift as long as possible. After a few minutes I spotted the smallest imaginable disturbance and a fly next to mine dissapeared. It was so subtle, and it was that kind of dusk where the light plays tricks on your eyes, that I really wasn't sure anything happened at all. I was just asking the lads if they saw it, when I saw it again, this time at my fly. I was thinking "hmm, this could actually be a fish, I should probably strike it just in case", when I realised that I'd already instinctively struck and had a fish on :) A quick struggle later and he was in my (well wetted) hand. There was a brief thought of keeping him for dead bait, but back in he went, a little surprised but otherwise unharmed

Not the most impressive fish ever by any means, but it was the only fish of the trip, and I never even considered catching roach on the fly so it was a lovely surprise, and I was so delighted at how quick I struck into him, that I thought it was worth a mention.

edit: I'm not sure if they were zebra mussels (going to email fisheries board to find out), but every second cast with a spinner or plug was coming back in covered in some type of mussel/mollusc, the whole base of the lake must be carpeted with them, so if you happen to be out on Gowna please take care to clean and disinfect any gear (especially boats)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Heres a few...my first ever sea fish taken on the fly. A nice pollock of about 2.5 to 3 lbs. Two wrasse - not any big size but taken on the same beach, one over green sea weed and the other over kelp. Its great to see the difference in colour of the two. Finally the devil of all fish - the lesser weaver. Apologies over the quality of pic's - all taken with a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

SeaFields wrote: »
    Heres a few...my first ever sea fish taken on the fly. A nice pollock of about 2.5 to 3 lbs. Two wrasse - not any big size but taken on the same beach, one over green sea weed and the other over kelp. Its great to see the difference in colour of the two. Finally the devil of all fish - the lesser weaver. Apologies over the quality of pic's - all taken with a mobile.
    the 3rd fish is actually a sea scorpion and not a weever, below is a weever fish and very important you take a good look as they can give nasty stings.

well done on all fish being caught, keep it up

the 3rd fish is actually a sea scorpion and not a weever, below is a weever fish and very important you take a good look as they can give nasty stings

Thanks wayne, you learn something new everyday especially in fishing. Always referred to those scorpion fish as the weever. Either way they are both ugly b@stards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭thefinner

Caught recently in Ballyhas Lake just outside Mallow Co Cork :D:D

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »

did u take these on the same fly?
    were u using a sinking line?
    were u wading or standing on the rocks?
    excuse my ignorance, only a beginner.

the fourth fish looks very depressed indeed.

thefinner wrote: »
    Caught recently in Ballyhas Lake just outside Mallow Co Cork :D:D

what kind of fly did u use? looks like u kept him for your tea.

did u take these on the same fly?
    were u using a sinking line?
    were u wading or standing on the rocks?
    excuse my ignorance, only a beginner.

the fourth fish looks very depressed indeed.

Hey doc,
    Caught on floating line while standing on the rocks. It was low tide too, fishing on rocks on the beachs edge. I'm also only a beginner with salt water fly fishing. Pollock in pic was taken on an old trout outfit - have equipped myself with a salt water outfit since. Wrasse and scorpion fish were taken on crab actually - only pollock on fly.

quite an all rounder seafields, i'm wondering how long a good fly line costing about 40 euro would last with me fishing from rocks!

quite an all rounder seafields, i'm wondering how long a good fly line costing about 40 euro would last with me fishing from rocks!

I got a salt water fly line for around €30. Its a weight forward No. 7 and cost about €30. Apparently its a big more hardy than a freshwater line. I'm still a bit wary about standing on it while on the rocks.

My entire set up - rod, line, reel - cost me less than €200 last autumn. Not bad I must say and the reel doubles as my intermediate line for the rivers with the intermediate on the spare spool that came with it.

So far I have gotten pollock, mackeral, lance, and garfish. Bass is on the cards too hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

5.5lb on a cascade sunday morning northwest of the country.
    iphone23609009.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭thefinner

what kind of fly did u use? looks like u kept him for your tea.
    Grey kinkhammer size14

sorry Doc he went back as do all the fish I catch
    Don't like 'em lol

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Two of three I managed to hook from a great evening rise at Roundwood last night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

They're great trout for Roundwood. Good fishing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Thanks, could have done a bit better as I had numerous missed rises from good trout. Three I caught were on size 12 Bibio on top dropper greased with Gink.

Advertisement