Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone want Applied Maths notes from the Institute?

• 25-08-2008 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Yea, so I did my Leaving Cert in June and I've been clearing away all my notes and books and crap and basically I've got a whole folder full of Applied Maths notes from the Institute of Education that I just can't bear to throw away! I don't know anyone who's doing Applied Maths at the moment so I was wondering if anyone on here might want them? I could arrange posting them to you. The notes are pretty comprehensive and cover six topics I think which I can't remember exactly right now but I'll find out if anyone's interested :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Hi, I'm just going into 6th year. Are the notes still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I've just finished 6th year myself but know someone who might need these.

Good chance this thread is going to get deleted btw, I believe those notes are copyrighted or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hmm.

I do think those notes are copyrighted, and seeing as people going to the institute pay an arm and a leg to get them the institute mightn't be too happy about someone giving them out for free, so to be on the same side I'll have to lock this...sorry!

Ok a quick discussion with the mods cocluded that giving them out for free is not breach of copyright, so knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Id be interested! Going into 6th and doing applied maths atm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

If they're ollie murphy's institute notes, he wouldnt care if you gave em out for free. I might have some notes to give away... lemme check my room...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'd love notes! Please! I really need the points!

Edit: And my teacher is out on maternity leave in a few weeks. Really not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Piste wrote: »
    Ok a quick discussion with the mods cocluded that giving them out for free is not breach of copyright, so knock yourself out.
    I can't see how it would be in breach of copyright even if the notes were being sold for money. It's just like selling old second-hand textbooks. What would be illegal would be making your own copies of the notes and then selling those copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ok well the notes have been given away now guys, sorry!

I didn't really think about the whole copyright thing since I wasn't going selling them. I just didn't like seeing them go to waste :P

Kwekubo wrote: »
    I can't see how it would be in breach of copyright even if the notes were being sold for money. It's just like selling old second-hand textbooks. What would be illegal would be making your own copies of the notes and then selling those copies.

Well when I consulted the mods a lot of people said the institute do not take kindly to people selling on their notes. Better to be safe than sorry and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If anyone would like to swing me a copy for a weekend to photocopy it would be most appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

thats illegal dude

€750 for a course.. Who's robbing who? :)

works out more like a grand for the year per course

which, in my opinion, is great value considering the quality of teachers, notes and facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Do you work for the institute or something, to be dragging up old threads just to make unhelpful posts?

it appeared at the bottom of the page i was on, similar threads, i was hardly dragging up old threads

Great value? A year there costs €6500 ish.

And I've seen some of the results they don't publish in there brochures... One mate of mine went there got... 45 points.

They supply you with the best teachers, best facilities, best notes.

Its up to you to use them, your mate must have had other things on his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

If anyone has notes,I'd greatly appreciate it too! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

DanOB wrote: »
    They supply you with the best teachers, best facilities, best notes.
    Just out of curiosity, do you have reliable and comprehensive quantitative evidence to support that assertion?

Anyway, irrespective of how good or bad the teachers and/or the notes are, I agree with your assertion that distributing them onwards without permission of the copyright owner is a breach of copyright. The act makes no distinction between whether it's for free or not. (Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0028/). Copying it is very obviously a breach, but even passing on the copy you got to someone else is a breach, unless the copyright owner has authorised you to do so: see section 40(1)(g) of the act.

• Advertisement

Anyway, irrespective of how good or bad the teachers and/or the notes are, I agree with your assertion that distributing them onwards without permission of the copyright owner is a breach of copyright. The act makes no distinction between whether it's for free or not. (Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0028/). Copying it is very obviously a breach, but even passing on the copy you got to someone else is a breach, unless the copyright owner has authorised you to do so: see section 40(1)(g) of the act.

Point taken :) I just want a different perspective. Education is the freedom and progression of knowledge. I'd gladly pay for them, but not €750.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Just out of curiosity, do you have reliable and comprehensive quantitative evidence to support that assertion?

The mods are discussing this and since the poster with the problem has already made a Help Desk complaint, I'm going to close the relevant threads to stop continue discussion until a solution is come to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement