Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

touch site width

• 15-01-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭

Whose idea was it to put a full width ad at the top of the touch site? It's nearly impossible to use now :-(
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm not following you - it's clearly not the full width of the screen shot you've posted, nor is it taller than the other ads we have. Did you take the screen shot on a different device?

It also doesn't look like one of the ads we'd normally run, so I will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think the point is that the ad is expanding the screen so the actual content is reduced in size accordingly. The ad near the bottom of the screen is the normal size for a smartphone app but the banner ad on the top is sized for a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm delighted to see that the top ad is gone today, so we're back to normal again.

Here's a similar screenshot from today to show the difference. (getting it now)

Image for the last post

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good stuff. :)

That "86" would drive me nuts!

• Advertisement

Update, the problem is caused by Bus Éireann's wi-fi.

Looks likewise somehow placing that top ad at the top of some sites, including touch.boards.ie

Has started doing the same to Waterford Whispers today, too (wasn't before).

Problem is fixed for me by turning wifi off. But it's rude that they do.it, IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Interesting... If they're removing our ads and shoving in their own, we will be having words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Dav wrote: »
    Interesting... If they're removing our ads and shoving in their own, we will be having words.
    I doubt it, looks like they're just serving the external page in its own frame, and adding an adframe before it, common enough for public wifi providers

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

28064212 wrote: »
    I doubt it, looks like they're just serving the external page in its own frame, and adding an adframe before it, common enough for public wifi providers

Yep, this is exactly what they're doing. It happened to me a while back when I connected to their WiFi service and I was served up the desktop site within a frame with a Bus Eireann advert in the top frame.

It made me all nostalgic for the nightmare that was FrontPage '97 :D

Advertisement