Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

father 'adopted' from '54 Shelbourne Rd.', 1927, 'how to find BM?

• 14-01-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My father and his two adopted brothers and two cousins were all apparently born at '54 Shelbourne Road', Dublin between the years 1927 - 1930. Nurse Theresa Nunan was apparently present at the birth of all these children and is associated with this address in Thoms.

Nurse C Tobin is associated with the house at a later date '32/'33? According to the 1911 census the 'Bramble' family lived at this address when the census was completed.

A priest called father Lavel (Catholic) from Drogheda, Co Louth apparently arranged the 'adoptions'.

My father was registered in Donnybrook in 1927 and his birth cert show the adoptive parents names. The other births were also registered in Donnybrook.

I've tried the usual channels but was told that there was no info.

Does anyone know of a family relative born at this address?

Does anyone remember anything about Fr. Lavel and his connection with this address?

Has anyone got info on 54 Shelbourne Road, Dublin?

If you know anything you help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Lotuzflower

This issue has been in the papers in the last week, some doctor in Monaghan who apparently arranged dozens of thses illegal birth registrations. One paper recommended contacting the Adoption Authority (currently based in Shelbourne Rd!!) but your dads "adoption" predates them by about 20 yrs so its very doubtful they have anything.

I don't want to discourage you, but the newspaper stories point out the immense difficulties in finding any relevant records in these cases. Non marital pregnancy was already shrouded in secrecy in those days and the addition of what was a criminal offense (i.e. deliberately giving false information to the registration service) makes it even less likely any records were kept.

One last thing, the Dublin City Library on Pearse St has a free online newspaper archive and you might find something there about the address or the names you have.

Good luck

Rins

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi lotusflower,
    try adopted illegally ireland they have a website might be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lotuzflower

Hi Rinsjwind,

Thanks for your comment and suggestions. I will look into the newspaper archive.

L

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I hadn't heard of that organisaiton.
    L

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sometimes you may be able to access the old voter registers on microfiche, some of the main libraries have the facilities, you may have to book in advance. If you think this may have been an old family home- you could use a mechanism such as this to try and get a start on researching a family tree.

Vis-a-vis illegal adoptions- adoption only came into being in Irish law in 1953- prior to that there was no facility in Irish law that catered for adoption. The illegal adoptions reported last weekend in the Irish Times- would have been adoptions improperly recorded post the enactment of the legislation- normally by manner of mis-registering the birth, aka so it would appear a different woman other than the birth mother gave birth to the child. Unless there is separate documentation elsewhere keeping track of these lies, which there doesn't tend to be- you pretty much immediately hit a brick wall when you start to search- as you have no-where to turn.

Best of good luck to you and your Dad.

Shane

• Advertisement

Thanks Shane, I hadn't thought of the voter registers. I'll check that out.

Advertisement