Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

jonski wrote: »
    I did a search of boards and couldn't find any mention of these , read a review and it seem fairly ok . Anyone here have an opinion ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/341447-sumvision-cyclone-astro-tablet-pc-sumv-astrocyctab

Review

jonski, i had one of these but sent it back. the actual specs were not as advertised. it only had ~300mb ram as opposed to the advertised 1gb among other things. it was a handy little tablet all the same but I wasn't keeping it on principle. They took it back without question, they knew well that there were a fair few unhappy buyers.

apparently the specs have been upgraded(rectified) since but my trust in the manufacturer and vendor is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

I mistyped the price. I paid €330. Its advertised on their site under the Android Tablets for €359 but as I did, you can ask then to knock €30 off. Am using mobile so I cant add the link to this message
    One deadly feature is you can set it up to use as a remote control for all your devices in the house (TV, UPC box etc).

No worries.

I would've driven to Dublin for €230. At €330, not so interested! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just got my Elf2 yesterday, from a seller on Aliexpress.com. Got stung for 20quid customs from DHL though :(, so it worked out at 140e all in, including a keyboard leather case (which I'll admit I don't know if I'll have much use for, the touch keyboard is well up to the job, but it was only 15dollars extra).

The android version on it from stock was fairly rubbish, with alot of chinese apps dotted around the place, however I'm just after throwing a custom ROM on (http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/34586-elf-iirom-updated-darkelf-custom-rom-for-ainol-novo7-elf-ii/) now, which was remarkably easy to do, that has given me google play, youtube and aload of other stuff.

All in all I'm certainly happy with it, no lag at all in the tablet, I have a SGS2 also and was sort of afraid that if I got a cheap tablet it wouldn't be a patch on the galaxy and would only frustrate me, but not at all!

I should be getting my Tablet as well tomorrow was no one at home for delivery also got stund for €27 from customs :( Will look at your link to get google play if not it tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Just got my Elf2 yesterday, from a seller on Aliexpress.com. Got stung for 20quid customs from DHL though :(, so it worked out at 140e all in, including a keyboard leather case (which I'll admit I don't know if I'll have much use for, the touch keyboard is well up to the job, but it was only 15dollars extra).

The android version on it from stock was fairly rubbish, with alot of chinese apps dotted around the place, however I'm just after throwing a custom ROM on (http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/34586-elf-iirom-updated-darkelf-custom-rom-for-ainol-novo7-elf-ii/) now, which was remarkably easy to do, that has given me google play, youtube and aload of other stuff.

All in all I'm certainly happy with it, no lag at all in the tablet, I have a SGS2 also and was sort of afraid that if I got a cheap tablet it wouldn't be a patch on the galaxy and would only frustrate me, but not at all!

Have one ordered from somewhere else. Getting delivered by HK airmail, so I have slightly better chance of avoiding customs (though still very slim chance). Also a much bigger chance I will never see my Elf 2, but thats the gamble!!!! From your initial view though, it sounds worth my 100 yoyos if it does arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I see buyincoins have the Aurora 2 on their homepage now for $160 delivered.

Anyone order one yet from there or elsewhere?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Gadgetfreakz have Aurora 2 for sale for around €180 delivered.

Includes UK/IRL charger, english box and manual and you don't pay customs as they are located in UK.

http://gadgetfreakz.co.uk/ainol-novo-7-aurora-2-android-4-0-7-ips-tablet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I should be getting my Tablet as well tomorrow was no one at home for delivery also got stund for €27 from customs :( Will look at your link to get google play if not it tks

If you caught caught for €27 and Timmaay paid €20. What do customs base their charges on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wannabe7a

brimal wrote: »
    Gadgetfreakz have Aurora 2 for sale for around €180 delivered.

Includes UK/IRL charger, english box and manual and you don't pay customs as they are located in UK.

http://gadgetfreakz.co.uk/ainol-novo-7-aurora-2-android-4-0-7-ips-tablet.html

Why would you pay 140 GBP if you can get a samsung one for 200 GBP?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab2-inch-Tablet/dp/tech-data/B0080OY3H4/ref=de_a_smtd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Because £60 is a massive difference, and it's not a direct comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Ok, quick question.

I'm new to the whole tablet idea, and was wondering do any of the good reasonably priced tablets come with a 3G capability?

Or is the Ainol Aurora 2 the best without for the price?

Would be looking to purchase one in the next few weeks and would have €100-140 to spend on one.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Im looking at the C91 Zenithink from either of the below:

WSK-Tech

or
    Fancy

The Aliexpress one says its got wifi N rated but the ebay doesnt. Do these come standard with N wifi ?

Another question - would it be worth the extra money to buy from the UK seller on ebay or would it matter much in regards to customs duty etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Barr wrote: »
    If you caught caught for €27 and Timmaay paid €20. What do customs base their charges on ?

I just checked the amount again, it was actually 23euros. Mine had a docket inside it for 40 dollars, I don't think they based the valve off that, unless customs+vat comes to hmm, 60/70%!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

GBX wrote: »
    Im looking at the C91 Zenithink from either of the below:

WSK-Tech

or
    Fancy

The Aliexpress one says its got wifi N rated but the ebay doesnt. Do these come standard with N wifi ?

Another question - would it be worth the extra money to buy from the UK seller on ebay or would it matter much in regards to customs duty etc?

BUying from UK looks cheaper especially with the customs plus they give you the keyboard case which is very handy. Anyway got mine pretty happy you do have to reset it every so often - it does come with Android market (google play) which my folks Archos doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

I just checked the amount again, it was actually 23euros. Mine had a docket inside it for 40 dollars, I don't think they based the valve off that, unless customs+vat comes to hmm, 60/70%!!!

I paid €0 on my Aurora, even though Customs stopped it. Dunno how customs manage they're charges, but 2 colleagues at work got identical devices last year, for the exact same prices on the dockets, yet one was charged an extra €10 then the other... I think someone needs to start complaining about these things..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have been toying with the idea of a Kindle since Christmas, but figured I'd keep an eye out for a decent cheap android tablet instead as it could do the same job plus a hell of a lot more.

Saw this in today's ebay deals.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271006913277?item=271006913277

thoughts? At first glance it seems to have great spec for the price

Good review here saying that once upgraded to ICS it's a pretty great tablet. I'm tempted....

maximoose wrote: »
    Have been toying with the idea of a Kindle since Christmas, but figured I'd keep an eye out for a decent cheap android tablet instead as it could do the same job plus a hell of a lot more.

Saw this in today's ebay deals.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271006913277?item=271006913277

Good review here saying that once upgraded to ICS it's a pretty great tablet. I'm tempted....
    The only shipping option is to the UK....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

^Ah, woopsie. Didn't notice that. Although I can have it posted to home in NI if I decide to take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

a tablet is OK for short form reading (newpaper articles, blogs...), but for reading books, the Kindle is much, much better.If you want a device for mainly reading books, get the kindle, it's a fantastic item. Reading from a tablet is ok but is very hard on the eyes compared to a kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laalaaa

I ordered the Onda Vi40 from Aliexpress.com yesterday and it said the payment had been accepted and delivery status was awaiting shipment.

Today I got an email saying the transaction had been closed for security reasons and they want copies of ID, credit card and statements for verification.

Has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Thujrog

Laalaaa wrote: »
    I ordered the Onda Vi40 from Aliexpress.com yesterday and it said the payment had been accepted and delivery status was awaiting shipment.

Today I got an email saying the transaction had been closed for security reasons and they want copies of ID, credit card and statements for verification.

I wouldn't send a seller on AliExpress those details. It sounds like a scam to me. Remember that you probably aren't dealing with AliExpress, just some random seller on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

yabadabado wrote: »
    a tablet is OK for short form reading (newpaper articles, blogs...), but for reading books, the Kindle is much, much better.If you want a device for mainly reading books, get the kindle, it's a fantastic item. Reading from a tablet is ok but is very hard on the eyes compared to a kindle

Couldn't agree more.
    Tablets, especially budget ones, are not a patch on a Kindle or other reader with e-ink display when it comes to e-books.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Laalaaa wrote: »

I bough a Onda Vi40 from aliexpress ans wasn't asked for any of those details,I wouldnt give them any of those details.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Anyone else thinking of taking this plunge when it comes to market? It looks like great value for what you get.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb&feature=nexus7_campaign

Any opinions welcome as I don't know much about tablets bar ipads.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Thujrog

battser wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking of taking this plunge when it comes to market? It looks like great value for what you get.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb&feature=nexus7_campaign

Any opinions welcome as I don't know much about tablets bar ipads.

That link won't work from Ireland. I assume that you are referring to the Nexus? http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7

It looks very nice. A bit more expensive than the tablets being discussed in this thread, but the polish is of a much higher standard. If you have the bit of extra cash i'd say you wouldn't go far wrong. The only downside for me is that there is no expandable storage. For that reason I'd get the 16gb version as I'd use it for watching movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

2c

I bought a 7" tablet via Aliexpress - none of the specs matched up to what was advertised. Google Market updated to Play and never worked again. Many apps that worked on another Android (also non-ICS) device didn't work. The internal file layout had been customised and as a result other apps like Titanium Backup couldn't restore anything I had saved from my previous device. I sent it back (at my own expense) and got a different 7" tablet with an IPS screen and ICS.

The new tablet arrived and straight away I realised that it wasn't ICS but a skin on an older version of Android to make it look like ICS. It was supposed to take a 32mb microSD card - it didn't. It was supposed to take a SIM card and make phone calls - it didn't. It was supposed to be able to take a 3G modem - it didn't. It was supposed to take a USB connection to an external storage device - it didn't.

I didn't bother sending it back because after numerous complaints to Aliexpress they just didn't reply after a while and the store in question held off sending the replacement until I withdrew my negative review of the first tablet.

The website of the second tablet (Cube) shut down soon after I bought it. I waited three months and finally another forum posted a beta ICS ROM which is a slight improvement (phone part works and more apps work) but many of the much vaunted features just never worked.

You must also remember that while many cheap tablets claim to have similar specs to branded tablets the actual quality of parts may be quite inferior and while they claim to have a certain make & type of processor it might be the Celeron version with a speed hyped as 1GHz but is in fact an overclocked 800MHz CPU - which will overheat and disappoint over time. For example, the second tablet I got has an extremely bad WiFi chipset - it can't maintain a WiFi connection from the next room while my HTC Desire HD can connect from the road outside (I live three floors up).

At the same time I also bought a cheap dual-SIM Android phone from Merrimobile - it was a disaster. So bad was it that PayPal judged in my favour in hours after lodging a complaint (unfortunately I used my credit card with Aliexpress and they were very quick to take my money). I sent the phone back (it came from China but went back to Canada) and they refused to sign for it so it came back to me along with a refund from PayPal. I tried using the phone when it came back but after doing a restore it booted up into a Russian ROM (that they had stolen from a Russian forum for MTK6573 (Star B63M) phones) and kept crashing - it now just won't boot into Android at all.

I'm currently using a battered Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet I got from my sister and the difference is astounding despite it being badly damaged. It's got similar specs to the Chinese cheap tablet but is far superior in every way.

So all I'm saying is, don't have high hopes, expect to be disappointed, don't expect much in the way of support. If you're tech-minded and are willing to spend hours upon hours tweaking and customising that's okay but the average user will have a struggle if they want to do anything more than use social media and read books.

2c

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

nodolan wrote: »
    2c

I bought a 7" tablet via Aliexpress - none of the specs matched up to what was advertised. Google Market updated to Play and never worked again. Many apps that worked on another Android (also non-ICS) device didn't work. The internal file layout had been customised and as a result other apps like Titanium Backup couldn't restore anything I had saved from my previous device. I sent it back (at my own expense) and got a different 7" tablet with an IPS screen and ICS.

The new tablet arrived and straight away I realised that it wasn't ICS but a skin on an older version of Android to make it look like ICS. It was supposed to take a 32mb microSD card - it didn't. It was supposed to take a SIM card and make phone calls - it didn't. It was supposed to be able to take a 3G modem - it didn't. It was supposed to take a USB connection to an external storage device - it didn't.

I didn't bother sending it back because after numerous complaints to Aliexpress they just didn't reply after a while and the store in question held off sending the replacement until I withdrew my negative review of the first tablet.

The website of the second tablet (Cube) shut down soon after I bought it. I waited three months and finally another forum posted a beta ICS ROM which is a slight improvement (phone part works and more apps work) but many of the much vaunted features just never worked.

You must also remember that while many cheap tablets claim to have similar specs to branded tablets the actual quality of parts may be quite inferior and while they claim to have a certain make & type of processor it might be the Celeron version with a speed hyped as 1GHz but is in fact an overclocked 800MHz CPU - which will overheat and disappoint over time. For example, the second tablet I got has an extremely bad WiFi chipset - it can't maintain a WiFi connection from the next room while my HTC Desire HD can connect from the road outside (I live three floors up).

At the same time I also bought a cheap dual-SIM Android phone from Merrimobile - it was a disaster. So bad was it that PayPal judged in my favour in hours after lodging a complaint (unfortunately I used my credit card with Aliexpress and they were very quick to take my money). I sent the phone back (it came from China but went back to Canada) and they refused to sign for it so it came back to me along with a refund from PayPal. I tried using the phone when it came back but after doing a restore it booted up into a Russian ROM (that they had stolen from a Russian forum for MTK6573 (Star B63M) phones) and kept crashing - it now just won't boot into Android at all.

I'm currently using a battered Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet I got from my sister and the difference is astounding despite it being badly damaged. It's got similar specs to the Chinese cheap tablet but is far superior in every way.

So all I'm saying is, don't have high hopes, expect to be disappointed, don't expect much in the way of support. If you're tech-minded and are willing to spend hours upon hours tweaking and customising that's okay but the average user will have a struggle if they want to do anything more than use social media and read books.

2c

This post is just for the people who are confused with the quality of the cheap tablets that you are interested in.

I understand what nodolan just said and I am pretty sure that this happened. However, I would like to give people my experience(not long) so that they may gain from it.

My friend brought me a cheap tablet from China two weeks ago. It was an Ainol Aurora II. The reason I asked him to get me this particular one is because the feedback of the older version, Elf I, is pretty good online. So I thought it wouldn't be too far off my expectation for the second generation of Aurora (The first generation had some bad feedback on the IPS screen, but it was changed to Samsung screen, if I didn't remember wrong). I have to say it is definitely better than I expected. The screen resolution is good, though can't compare with the new ipad. The battery life is about 5-6 hours for gaming. I havn't tried movie yet as the screen is too small :). The touch screen was not responding well (sometimes I had to press it a little bit harder to get it recognized.). However, this problem was solved by updating to the latest ROM from the factory. Wifi was not slow but dropped out occasionally. This problem was improved after updating the new ROM. The Wifi signal was better than my HP Pre 3 as I couldn't used my pre 3 in the toilet, but with the tablet, I can.

There are some known problem with the Aurora II as far as I can tell from the official website. However, they engineers in the factory are working on it. I think there will be another ROM released soon..

I haven't tried the 3G yet as I don't have a usb 3G modem. It is supposed to have ability of connecting an external bluetooth device. But it is not supported yet. As far as I can find from the official forum, they are still working on it.

I have tried to install a very popular football game from google play, it said it was not compatible with my device before I started installing. I tried another football game(can't remember the name, maybe called real football, or something like that). It works fine. I play it everyday. No problems at all with angry birds, fruit ninja and ect.

Overall, this tablet is definitely worth buying for general use. I don't think any tablets in the market can completely replace the role of laptop or desktop, not for me anyway.

If anyone want more specs of this particular tablet, you can google Aurora II.

Any questions, please ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

PS, it does matter what brand you get even though such brand may not make sense to you. So dig the reviews out before attempting to buy anything!!

The Aurora 2 does seem to be one of the better Chinese tablets available at present.

The problem is that at US$160 or so you are getting very close to the price of the upcoming Google Nexus 7.

Sure the Aurora 2 has 16Gb onboard vs. 8Gb for the basic Nexus 7 and also has the benefit of an sd card slot and hdmi out which the Nexus 7 doesn't but you have to weigh that against (hopefully) rock solid build quality and a rom which will work straight out of the box with little or no tinkering about. (You will have to tinker to get Flash running in Jellybean).

With the Nexus 7 you also won't have any worries about warranty claims and having to send it back to China.

I know because of it's limitations the Nexus 7 isn't for everyone but I think if you are going to spend $160 on a tablet for general web browsing and games then if you can afford it, it makes a lot of sense to spend a few dollars more for the Nexus as it could save a lot of heart ache in the long run.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Do-more wrote: »
    The Aurora 2 does seem to be one of the better Chinese tablets available at present.

The problem is that at US$160 or so you are getting very close to the price of the upcoming Google Nexus 7.

Sure the Aurora 2 has 16Gb onboard vs. 8Gb for the basic Nexus 7 and also has the benefit of an sd card slot and hdmi out which the Nexus 7 doesn't but you have to weigh that against (hopefully) rock solid build quality and a rom which will work straight out of the box with little or no tinkering about. (You will have to tinker to get Flash running in Jellybean).

With the Nexus 7 you also won't have any worries about warranty claims and having to send it back to China.

I know because of it's limitations the Nexus 7 isn't for everyone but I think if you are going to spend $160 on a tablet for general web browsing and games then if you can afford it, it makes a lot of sense to spend a few dollars more for the Nexus as it could save a lot of heart ache in the long run.

This. you're spot on. my tablet (aurora 2 ) has gone off to customs for a spin.
    I think I'll use it for a few weeks , sell it on and get a nexus 7.
    Not that I think theres anything wrong with the aurora , just that as regards warranty and support I think the big names may just be the safer bet.
    We'll wait and see though , if they can sort out the bugs in the aurora it could be a great piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

I was thinking of getting this tablet. The make is a LY-F1. Has anyone come accross this make before or any advise about the below tablet?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-sale-Free-shipping-ly-f1-tablet-capacitive-allwinner-a10-Cheapest-factory-direct-sale-with-Russian/405844_537541873.html

Advertisement